Favorite typing font

I like 10-point Georgia.

Somewhere I heard that Georgia was an ideal screen font because of the bigger x-height, et cetera, so I tried it out alongside all of the other classy serif fonts, and (lo and behold!) I liked it better than the rest, even good old boring Times New Roman. It wasn’t too old-fashioned or elegant, and it just seemed nice and open and readable.

Of course at the usual 12 points it’s comically large, but that’s a small price to pay for a nice, non-awkward font that doesn’t seem torn from the pages of Serious Literature.
(You know, the editions on nice paper that come with A Note on the Typeface? Not aiming for that.)

I’m a Cambria guy.

I love Courier.

But for assignments etc. usually use Calibri… mainly because it was the default when I got Word 2007 … and also I find it just slightly more aesthetically pleasing than Arial.

Times used to irritate the heck out of me, to the point where I’d ctrl-a and change the font on anything I had to read. These days, it doesn’t seem to bother me as much…

Verdana is also nice for similar reasons on the sans serif side as far as screen fonts are concerned.

I hate reading anything serif on a computer screen. I like the Vista / Office 2007 suite of fonts a lot, these days. (Calibri, Cabria, Consolas, etc.) Calibri has subtle roundness which I find more appealing than the sharper edged Arial. Candara has a look which makes me think ‘classical’.

I like Calibri. But my all-time favorite is Copperplate.

10 point Baskerville Old Face if I’m doing any considerable amount of writing on a computer. Most of the time, if I write anything I sit down behind my Underwood manual typewriter. Whatever that font is works for me.

My website runs Lucida Console, green font on a black background, to make it look all hackerish and cool, yet still being more legible than a proper terminal font.

I was a Georgia guy for a while, but I gave it up. The numbers just looked too weird.

Most of the stuff I write day-to-day is stuff I want to stand out, like resumes and such. I tend to use Century Gothic for academic papers because it’s easier to read; unless the professor is anal about the typeface she wants, or the paper absolutely positively has to conform to APA style, I’d rather be nice and use an easier-to-read font.

The rest of the time, I don’t care, so I just stick to the two I like and leave it at that.

You guys remember the business card scene from American Psycho?

…I’m just saying that if anyone brings up paper, I’m outa here.

Georgia – It’s a standard font in Ms Word. Easy to read.
Data files have to be courier new. It’s a fixed point type. 60 characters equals 60 bytes in a data file.

Sure. That falls under my exception “marketing materials or what not.”

Century Gothic is nice, but I think, in print, Times New Roman is easier to read. After all, that was the whole point of the typeface. YMMV, of course. I will agree that on-screen, sans serifs tend to look better.

Ah, but TNR is a little cramped. Century Schoolbook is nice and loosey-goosey—and praised for its legibility.

Arial.

Only heathens use TNR or >shudder< Centrury Gothic >shudder<

To me, that font is a little too “airy,” but it is a very nice, clean, legible font. Like I said, my preference is actually for Minion for this sort of thing, but I think Times New Roman unfairly gets a bad rap.

Actually, when I look at Century Schoolbook at the same font size as the rest of the text on this page, it does look very pleasing, indeed. I admit, it does look a little better than TNR.

I use Palatino or Computer Modern Roman almost exclusively.

Since we’re talking fonts.

What font is used in printing paperback fiction? For small type it is easy to read.

There’s a bunch. I see a lot of Baskerville and Bookman Old Style, but I’ve also had books set in Palatino, Book Antiqua, Jenson, and Minion.