Favourite film that's in the cinemas now?

Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Saw it last night and it’s great. Still to see Bad Boys 2 though so maybe my mind will change…

Casa de los Babys

American Splendor

Lost in Translation. Wonderful, wonderful film – though apparently you have to have a crush on Bill Murray; the friend I went with fell asleep twice.

American Splendor, absolutely.

Pirates of the Caribbean.

I’ll second Pirates, though I have to admit I haven’t been to the movies much lately. Once upon a Time in Mexico is on my to-do list.

Capturing the Friedmans

Me too. I have the deep abiding love for Bill Murray. Lost in Translation is the type of movie I want to rave about but it’s hard for me to imagine everyone liking it as much as I did. Someone in the theatre was snoring through the whole thing which was pretty annoying. I decided that if you are the type of person who could look out the window for hours without getting bored or sleepy or restless then you will be able to appreciate Lost in Translation but if you are not that type it might not work for you.

I’ll go with Lost in Translation too. Pirates is the runner up.

Matchstick Men. Great story and great acting by Nicholas Cage and Sam Rockwell. And though I don’t have any children of my own, I found the relationship between Nicholas Cage and Alison Lohman amazingly touching.

American Splendor. Interestingly, it would probably be Lost in Translation if not for my deep rooted hatred of Bill Murray.

Lost in Translation, followed by American Splendor. (I posted a rave thread about these movies recently.)

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Matchstick Men. It’s a bit of a mess, thematically, but it’s a fun mess.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico was okay.

I haven’t seen Casa de los Babys or School of Rock yet, but will soon.

I’ve been telling people “short on plot – but the visuals are wonderful – very atmospheric.” You definitely have to like Bill Murray, though.

My friend who doesn’t like Bill Murray was getting very upset about my using the work “grok” to describe the experience.

Adaptation just came out here. loved it. Another great performance[s] from Cage. Catch City of Gold on vid/DVD.

Well, Lost in Translation is actually the only movie I’ve seen that’s out right now, but I’ll throw in another “probably not for everybody, but I droolingly loved it.”

Then again, I lived in Tokyo for a while in high school, so I spent half the movie distracted by Tokyo, thinking, “Hey! I understood what they said!” “Hey! I can read that!” “Hey, I’ve been there!!!”

So I also need to see it again to catch the parts where I was distracted.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean
  2. Once upon a Time in Mexico

of course, I don’t get out much