FBI Refuses to Hire Arab-Jews to Translate

Or perhaps 2Thick your jumping to conclusions, for a start the fact that someone is Jewish, suprisingly, does not make someone a Mossad agent or even indicate loyalty to Israel.

There are sevreal possible reasons, one I’m suprised to see that hasn’t been considered is the proficency of the applicants, who probably have less experince (assuming that is they are mostly 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants) with 1st language Arabic-speakers than other Arabic speakers.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by Marley23 *
** Your (and the agency’s) assumption that it’s got something to do with their religion doesn’t have any basis that I can see. So is your assumption that this has something to do with Mossad. All you know about these people is that they’re Jewish.

[QUOTE]

This is where you are misinformed. It is not about religion. It is about ethnicity. You can change your religion but Sephardic Jews cannot change their ethnicity

:smiley:

…the FBI is not going to hire anyone that “luckily” speaks Arabic and was sent by an Israeli organization…

Um… they didn’t “luckily” speak Arabic. I’m sure you know that Sephardi Jews are those who originate from the Mid-East/North Africa. For many of them Arabic is their home tongue…

I did not make any concrete conclusions. I am merely pointing out a series of facts.

90 out of 90? I am sure that the people that Doug Balin, director of the Sephardic Bikur Holim sent qualified people. He even said that they were qualified (considering that there are many more than 90 Arabic speaking Jews in NYC).

Do you read my posts before replying? Why would I go out of my way to say Sephardic if I did not know the difference? Since you seem to be a bit slow I will tell you that the previous sentence was a rhetorical question.

BTW- Their mother tongue is Hebrew even if Arabic is their stronger language.

Please explain your LOL comment. I’ll decline further comment on it til then.

I did indeed just read your op and not the link. It appears that my thought that sensitivity to those being translated’s prejudices is not justified. I am left without sufficient information. What level of clearance is required and how likely is it that someone who is an emigree can meet that level. How many of these individuals had worked for the Israeli goverment in the past and would prior employ by a foreign government (ally or not) be sufficient cause to fail a security clearence at this level of sensitivity. Has the level of security clearence gone up since the notable cases of Muslim linguists passing on information have become known? Maybe it is out and out prejudice and that someone in this section of the FBI is thinking that Jews from Israel and Arab countries are intrinisically a potential risk. I dunno.

Does the US trust Israel? No. Of course not. But the US trusts Israel as much as it trusts anyone. The US wants to keep its intelligence to itself and only to share that which it has decided is in its best interest to share. The US will let Israel know what it wants Israel to know. And Israel will try to get the information it can just like the US does. The US doesn’t and shouldn’t trust anyone. Ally or foe, Israel or Canada or whoever, it is about control of information which means power.

It means that your attempt at character assassination does not dignify a response.

2Thick (heh), being of Jewish ancestry doesn’t mean you support Israel anymore than being of the Jewish religion does. You don’t seem to be comprehending this. In fact, I’d say it might even be a weaker link. Saying that any given Sephardic Jew might be a Mossad agent is just as unsupportable as saying any random Jew might be a Mossad agent.

You base this assertion on what exactly?

Of course he says they were qualified, he’s the one complaining about the fact that they weren’t hired! What is he going to say, “I can’t believe they rejected the unqualified bums I sent them?”

Not really. Your mother tongue would probably be whatever language you grew up speaking, yes? That wouldn’t necessarily be Hebrew.

I don’t really understand how much of a complaint you can make about this issue when you have no idea how qualified the candidates were or weren’t, or why they were rejected. For all you know, the FBI has rejected their last 500 applicants for this position. If only 90 were Jewish, wouldn’t that make it less significant?

::Attempting to resist making a remark about taxi cabs:: … jokes aside, there are plenty of Arabic speakers in NYC. It’s a city of 8 million-plus people with a lot of ethnic groups.

You are gravely mistaken. Go to any Jewish neighbourhood (like the one I live in) and spend time with Jewish people (which I do every single day) and you would soon realize that all Jews feel a connection with a country that only exists to protect Jews and their values.

So you are telling me that the numerous large fundraisers pushed by Be’nai Brith, Combined Jewish Appeal, the Jewish Congress and the ADL do not use the phrase “for Israel” in almost all of their fundraising campaigns? I will answer for you (since I can see one of the posters from my front door).

Jews are individuals just like all other humans and some support more than others, but in general Jews support Israel Ideologically if not politically.

Pal, most of my family is Jewish, and many of my friends are Jewish. I see Jewish people every day too. (Like that’s a big accomplishment?) You’re wrong, period. Not all Jews feel any connection to Israel, on the contrary a great number have been very upset by its behavior over the last few years.

Yes, IN GENERAL. Everything else you’ve said so far has assumed Jewish opinion on anything is unanimous, which is part of the problem. The rest of the problem is that you’ve never explained whatever the crux of your argument is.

You are gravely mistaken. Go to any Jewish neighbourhood (like the one I live in) and spend time with Jewish people (which I do every single day) and you would soon realize that all Jews feel a connection with a country that only exists to protect Jews and their values.

I’m pretty sure these guys disagree with you…

Are you going to use the Jews For Jesus web site to prove that most Jews believe in Jese as their savior now?

At least try to pretend like you know how to debate without using fringe excpetions to the rule.

I’m a Jew, and the recent behavior of the Israeli government disgusts me. I may not represent a statistical sample, but hey, I’m certainly not an anomaly, either. If I knew Arabic, I would have no more of a problem doing intelligence work that required knowledge of Arabic than I would doing any other kind of intelligence work that wasn’t spying (which in my case means “a big problem,” but there must be some Arabic-speaking Jews who feel differently).

It’s ridiculous to say that “all Jews support Israel.” The Jewish United Fund may send me letters every year, butt hat doesn’t mean they get my money. In fact, they haven’t gotten my money since I did the Walk with Israel at age 12, when I wasn’t politically sophisticated enough to know what JUF does. Now my feeling is that there are plenty of charitable causes to support that are not as politically charged as funding JUF, so that’s where my money and efforts go.

And it’s not at all unusual or suspicious for a social service organization to refer people to public job listings. I used to work for Jewish Vocational Service, and did it myself. And there is generally no incentive to refer someone to a job for which he/she is not qualified; our funding was based on the number of placements we made, not the number of referrals, so referring unqualified applicants was just a waste of everyone’s time.

Either this–

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame56.html

Or this–

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame63.html

or perhaps this–

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame28.html
my, my, my…so many choices.

Congrats on having Jewish family members (Like that’s a big accomplishment). Being upset by the behaviour of a member of your family does not mean that you do not care about them.

I find it humorous that you say I am wrong for using generalities when you use generalities to prove that I am wrong.

There is no argument. Only questions…hence a debate.

At least try to pretend like you know how to debate without using fringe excpetions to the rule.

Last time I checked you’re the one who wrote “…you would soon realize that all Jews feel a connection with a country”. But I’ll accept that what you probably wanted to write was: “…you would soon realize that all Jews feel a connection with a country… except for the ones who don’t”.

Before you start going off about my lack of debating skills you might want to send your self back to debate school. Hey! We can go together!

You said just a minute ago that “all Jews feel a connection with a country that only exists to protect Jews and their values.” It’s not just a generality, it’s false. You see Jewish people in New York every day and walk through Jewish neighborhoods? Big deal. There are some very religious Jewish communities in NYC, and I wouldn’t use them as a representative sample. Most Jews do support Israel, but not as strongly or unwaveringly as the groups you’re talking about.

Debates usually do require somebody to make a case of some sort. You said in your first post “It makes you wonder what the FBI knows that we do not.” You’ve yet to do anything that suggests the FBI might know something we don’t, and you haven’t explained what you were implying. You were definitely implying something or other. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can we just call 2Thick a poopy-head and move this thread to the Pit already? This is no longer about a debate about translators and security, and all about 2Thick’smisconceptions about the Secret Monolithic Jewish Cultural Mindset™. :rolleyes:

Excellent analysis.

Feeling a connection does not mean that you like the politics of a country.

Maybe you have not tried to examine ideas any further than one level (thanks to US public school system), but you can feel a connection with Israel while disagreeing with its zionist tendencies.