Feel Good Friday: My life is better than it was 10 years ago because . . .

My life is better in pretty much every way from the way it was 10 years ago.

Ten years ago I was in college, 3000 miles away from home. I was bored in my classes, realized I’d made a huge mistake in choice of school. I was about 6 months from a nervous breakdown and feeling stuck in my life before it had really started.

Now I’m happily married to a guy with a well paying, secure job that he loves. I’m a SAHM to a beautiful daughter that makes me smile everyday. I’m closer to being a published author (my lifelong dream) then I’ve ever been before. And in two weeks I’m moving out of the terrible little rental house we’ve been in for the last 9 months and into our dream home.

That was a lovely pick me up :slight_smile: Hope you’re feeling better Melody

I rent an apartment of my own, which I love, and am not still living with parents.

I have a good job which challenges me and I make good money at.

And I’m making some headway towards being a much better writer! Life is pretty good.

My life is better than ten years ago because:

• I’m not in high school anymore
  • I’m in better shape (physically, mentally) than I was then
  • I’m a vet
  • I have a dog that I adore
  • I live in my own place

I make more money, I have a better credit score, a much nicer car, and three more almost completed novels than I did back then.

Hopefully, I’ll have even better things to report in ten years.

Ten years ago I was a freshman in high school. I had braces, low self esteem, and my vitiligo was still affecting me on a daily basis. I cared far too much about my grades instead of caring about being happy. My relationship with my parents was incredibly strained.

Now I’ve graduated school and look forward to grad school and a healthy career. I’ve found the man I’m going to marry, I’ve got loads of self esteem, my vitiligo doesn’t rule my life (I wear shorts now) and have a truly healthy relationship with my parents. Really can’t complain :slight_smile:

I make less money then I ever have and I’m happier.
I think I’m getting life more now rather then life getting me.
I have an empty nest and it is peaceful.
I love my jobs.
I’m grateful for everything I have.
I’m sober.
I’m in good health.

Unfortunately, for me, life was vastly better 10 years ago. I had a job.

And now I’ve had a cup of tea, I can say that I’m blessed by the presence of my nephew and niece, and am very grateful for the support of my family.

In a lot of ways, life was better for me ten years ago. There was still time ahead to accomplish things, and our parents were living.

But now I have:

• a much better job that challenges me intellectually
  • an adorable dog
  • a place to live with lots more room, a yard, and a regional park out the back door
  • a collection of actual books that my writing has appeared in
  • 2010’s computer is much niftier than 2000’s

Ten years ago, I hadn’t submitted a piece of fiction, lived in a place that wouldn’t allow a dog, and had a dead-end, low-paying job that I could have easily stayed in way too long. I kept the husband of ten years ago, though, and he’s stood the test of time!

I’m no longer in an unhappy marriage, and I’m in a wonderful one now! I have 4 dogs as opposed to one, and that’s just more love! My son has grown up, and is now taking care of himself. I like my job for the most part, and do it well. My house is looking better everyday, thanks to my wonderful husband who is the world’s best handyman!

My life is better now than 10 years ago in many,many ways. Here are a few highlights
[ul]
4 beautiful grandchildren
I quit smoking
I got a degree and a real career
[/ul]

10 years ago i was 11. Enough said.

Thanks everyone who participated in this thread - y’all are awesome :slight_smile: And I got even more smiles as a result!

For me:

Ten years ago I was in an unhappy marriage, trying too hard to be everything for everyone and pretending that everything is “just fine.” I owned my own house and my own business and my own pile of denial.

Now, I have none of these things. Instead, I have a wonderful SO (we just celebrated 2 years), I just moved in to a leased townhome where I am happily living alone, and I’m working a contract job making more money than I was 2 years ago. And, I’m not trying to be coy when I say this - but I’ve also find places like SDMB where I can come and share and laugh and talk with other people without worrying about what people think of me.

And on Friday (part of my stress) I found out that my SO was not one of the 148 people laid off from his job at the library. I know how much he loves being a librarian and how much stress he was under, and after all the love and support he’s given me - I hated to see that being taken away from him. So at least for this round, he’s okay - and now he has time to plan what’s next.

10 years ago, I used to wish I was not alive, or that I could stop existing. Now I see simple things like the stormy sky or my cat’s innocent face and I remember that I’m so joyful to be alive.

10 years ago, I worried every day about having to go to school and face constant verbal abuse from the bullies that my teachers made me sit next to in class because “I would be a good influence on them”. Since then I’ve learned to stand up to jerks like them and I look forward to my classes because I like my professors and classmates.

Also, 10 years ago I would only eat about 3 different foods, and I would have the same food for each meal every day. Now that I’ve realized how ridiculous that was I get to try amazing things like panang curry, lamb fez, and moon cake.

I’ve gone from being a painfully shy, emotionally stunted 9 year old girl to an outgoing, passionate 19 year old young woman. I’m not perfect because I’m still healing from the wounds inflicted on me by my world and myself during childhood, but I have an amazing group of family and friends who will stand by me all the way and I am so happy because of that.

I could have never predicted how I would have gone in life.

Ten years ago, I was a first year college student. I was about what you’d expect: pretentious, naive, a bit depressed, but full of idealism. I was majoring in film, with lots of words but no real plan for what I was going to do with that.

Since then, I have done amazing things.

I’ve taken my lifelong fascination with travel further than I ever thought it could go. I’ve had real adventures, the kinds you read about in books. I have brushed my teeth at the foot of Mount Everest, explored ancient temples in India, shopped in Manila’s famous malls, hung out at Guatemalan orphanages, climbed remote sections of the Great Wall and taken the slow boat to Timbuktu. I have stories that would hold their own at even the grittiest expat bar.

I have been true to my ideals of helping people. I’ve spent nearly four of those ten years as a Peace Corps volunteer. Through this, I’ve taught thousands, ran a summer camp, taught African villagers how to make movies, founded a library, saved a baby, facilitated cultural understanding, counseled the hopeless, and touched no small number of lives. There are people around the world who will always remember me.

I’ve kept learning. I graduate with honors and I have just now been accepted into some top graduate programs. I can now speak four languages. I’ve learned to cook to an extreme degree- I can even make my own cheese. I have read thousands of books.

I’ve made friends with some great people. I have contacts all over the world, and love hearing about the interesting things my friends are doing. My family is far away, but they appreciate what I have been doing. My mom has been able to visit me abroad twice (and I visited her abroad once) and I’m glad I have been able to show her such remote and amazing parts of the world.

It’s been a hell of a journey, and honestly I feel like the good part is just starting!

My friend is in something similar to the peace corps and I always wished I had done that for 4 years. I had my son instead. I love volunteer work and what a gift it is to help someone to have a better life! My friend Sue has been in Africa for the last 20 years with the United Nations and is getting ready to retire up here. She has done so much to help the poorest of the poor get access to an education and clean water and growing crops.

Just to see all the cool places you have been is such a gift.