Feel Good Friday: My life is better than it was 10 years ago because . . .

Ten years ago I was a college dropout with a new baby, broke as hell living in one of the crappiest states in the US working dead-end jobs and a not-so-terrific marriage. I had no direction and no focus and the sense God gave a hairbrush.

Today, I have my Bachelor’s Degree, a job I love in one of the best states in the US, some sense of direction, a great kid and a pretty good marriage (to the same guy). I like to think I have a bit more sense now, too.

So yeah - overall, it’s been a good decade :slight_smile:

Ten years ago, my wife was still taking first-line chemo for CML, now she has been in remission for many years and is on a maintenance dosage of a drug that didn’t even exist then.

Ten years ago I was at the end of my rope working for a small company run by two religious lunatics and a semi-sane Baptist.
Now, I have a great job working in the field of industrial automation and robotics and nobody EVER talks about religion at work.
This is a great thread idea!

I no longer drink alcohol. No more hangovers, no more DT’s when I try to stop. I feel much better now than I did back then.

1–Both my girls are grown, married, have college degrees, & well paying, respected jobs.
2–I quit smoking.
3–I have my first grandbaby (8mo.!)
4–The taxes (for the first time in over 10 yrs.) are caught up.
5–We down-sized into a manageable size house that I designed.
6–Damn!! This was a good idea. Sometimes you need to stop and think about these things. There was a lot of turmoil 10 years ago–troubled teenage girls, shaky job situations. Things really are much better. Thanks, Melodyharmonious–you made me realize how fortunate I am!:slight_smile:

This little guy and this little guy hadn’t been born yet.

I hadn’t found that I was just fine on my own yet.

I was concerned with other people’s opinions of me instead of my own opinions about myself.

I’m smarter now.

I’m married and finally responsible and stable enough to build something lasting in my life.

I’m nowhere near as materialistic which is very freeing.

I own my own home (well, mostly the bank does) and I have a good-paying, secure job that has a pension.

Still single tho… :frowning:

Things have been the same-old same-old for me for decades now, so the only things I can think of that are better are smallish things.

I’m cleaning house and getting rid of extraneous junk. Old coffee mugs, a bag full of fabric scraps, clothes clothes clothes. It’s going out the door and this time I mean it!

I got to see The Lord of the Rings movies, finally made after umpteen decades of reading and re-reading the books. I said at the time, now I can die happy! (Except now I have to wait for The Hobbit to get made. And Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp as Barnabas. THEN I can die happy! Hey, it’s nice to have goals in life! :)).

A small nagging physical problem has resolved itself - it never needed medical attention, just something I had to live with.

I have come to a better understanding of just how short life is and have stopped being mad at/picking fights with family members who pissed me off forever. I’m giving up the “me-me-me” attitude.

I am gonna give this my absolute best shot: I’m really struggling to be happy, so I need to exercise being grateful. Reading everyone else’s lists have been pretty cheering, so am hoping that creating my own will help too. Good idea MH!

[ul]
[li]I’ve become a better cook, and am more appreciative of a home cooked meal. [/li][li]I’ve got my 3 stinky dogs! Who momma luvs to pieces - yes she duz! [/li][li]Celebrating 10 yrs married this year - and I still find him amusing, charming and cute.[/li][li]We’ve been remodeling our house for years, and finished the kitchen just this January. It looks amazing, and IMHO there is no better looking kitchen anywhere in the world.[/li][li]I am doing a better job at not tying my self worth to my job, or to the things I own.[/li][li]I kicked the soda habit - I don’t mind a cola from time to time, but the need is gone.[/li][li]I am standing up for myself more consistently.[/li][/ul]

I’m cancer-free and I have medical insurance and great doctors. I had a couple check-ups this week, both surgical and chemical oncologists, and they gave me the all-clear. I’ve been good for a few years now, but after my last mammogram they ordered an ultrasound, then an mri so I was pretty worried this time. I was reminded that it’s been 10 years with these doctors, hardly seems possible. Nobody thought I would make it this long ( I was diagnosed at stage 4 ). They only offered me palliative care initially, but we did chemo and surgery and an assortment of holistic/new-age stuff (including essiac tea ordered by my onc., and a spiritualistic healing and prayer circle - my idea) and ta-daa ten years later I’m still kicking. This is totally awesome.

Ten years ago I was in high school. I hated high school - was bored out of my mind, and came close to failing to graduate on time.

Since then, I’ve graduated college with every honor my school could throw at me, graduated from a great law school and become a lawyer, made many excellent and fascinating friends, and done a lot of legitimately good work. I’ve taught high school, fought for people who needed someone to fight for them, dated and drunk and learned that I’m actually capable of doing a number of worthwhile things. I’ve even learned to appreciate a lot of the things I disliked in high school - literature, music, art.

It doesn’t always feel like it, but I’ve grown up a lot in the past ten years, and I like the guy I am now a hell of a lot better than the kid I was then.

This is a nice thread. My thoughts…

[ul]
[li]Ten years ago we had two kids in diapers. Now we have three really cool, independent, young people in our family.[/li][li]Ten years ago, I had a job with great salary and benefits. Now I make 130% more money doing a job I love with perks I’m ashamed to even list.[/li][li]We are now completely debt free save the mortgage and one car payment.[/li][li]Ten years ago, I had barely been out of the country. Since then, I’ve had the opportunity to travel all over Europe, North America, and the Caribbean for work and fun. This gives me a broader and healthier outlook on life and culture that I really enjoy.[/li][li]Today I just generally feel happier and better in touch with who I really am. This is probably the most important improvement from 10 years ago.[/li][/ul]

I have four girlfriends instead of one bad one.

I like my job and my co-workers more than the one I had back then. We have all the dogs we can handle!

I stopped running from God and am joyfully forgiven and at peace.
I have two new grand daughters.
I am totally out of debt.
I rediscovered the fun of knitting.
I have a job that is relaxing for the same salary as one that was stressful.
I have consciously downsized and love the freedom.
I have a whole drawer full of really good tea.
The roof doesn’t leak and the toilet is fixed.
My son–the incredible shrinking man–has lost 110 pounds and is comfortable with himself.
I’m not angry with my mother.

Thank God it’s Friday in 2010!

Ten years ago, I was not making money from my artwork. Hell, I hadn’t even stumbled upon my medium yet! Now, I’m creating stuff I’m very proud of and selling it at juried shows where I am kind of stunned to be among such exceptional artists. My best show this year was one that, if I had ever attended it as a patron, I would have been too intimidated to apply to!

Ten years ago I was single and in shaky financial straits, living in a one-bedroom apartment downtown. I had to plan my budget down to the penny, and a single unexpected expense would throw me off track.

Today I walked into Verizon and without having to think about how, plunked down the money needed to get a Droid. Before driving back to my three-story, four-bedroom townhouse shared by myself, my loving SO, and our animals.

I’ve got a great job, great friends, a stable relationship, and some self-confidence. What’s not to like?

…because my computer will now burn a DVD in a few minutes, and I can play games while it’s doing so ; ten years ago, it took a couple of hours to burn a CD <provided it didn’t coaster>, and lord help anyone slamming a door hard while THAT was going on!

We are finally remodeling the kitchen on the house we bought ten years ago! It needed it then, and hoo-boy it needs it now.

10 years ago I made about 1/3 of the salary I make now, and thus had less discretionary money to spend on books and yuppie chocolate.

I’m retired now. Ten years ago I was an unhappy camper in a job that just didn’t fit me well.

My oldest daughter is getting married next week. My youngest daughter is talking about getting married. Both daughters are living with fine young men whom my wife and I heartily approve of. Ten years ago we were worried just a bit about both daughters.

My golf game still sucks, but I’m getting a loft calmer about that fact these days (a bad day on the golf course is still a lot better than a good day at the office).