Female genitalia and genetics

Google “Wall of Vulvas” for a sculptural example of how variable female genitalia are.

No link of course it’s just a tad NSFW.

:slight_smile:
Next time you’re meeting someone for the first time, step back a bit mentally and watch what you do as you’re shaking their hand. You scan their face, glancing at various points, then you look down at their crotch, even if it is clothed.

While I would disagree (I find them and their variability fascinating), there is the expression, ‘bumping uglies.’

Who looks at their newborn and coos adoringly, “oh look, she has her mother’s vulva”?

Moderating

This is GQ. I don’t think that enough of an attempt has been made to answer this question factually for it to degenerate into nothing more than opinions and jokes about genitalia. If you want to discuss your personal opinions about the subject, open a new thread in MPSIMS. If this continues to be just a series of non-factual responses, I’m going to close it.

Yes, I know I’m no fun.:wink:

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

OK, seriously - other than face, who really looks at body parts enough to distinguish them? Most body parts are the product of multiple influences from multiple genes from both parents. Even prominent characteristics like “big nose” or other characteristics like “big breasts” are not 100% heritable or equally pronounced in the offspring, although the influence is obviously there - most of the time. The variation is obvious in how different siblings can look. Rarely do they look like identical twins.

A female is obviously carrying X-chromosomes from both sides of the family, and different genes are randomly expressed… so a mix.

Why would you expect anything different of any other body part?

This is definitely a relative thing… as a lady’s lady, female genitals are lovely, mostly when someone consents to share them with you. (Having your own is a different thing entirely, and I think most gay dudes feel the same way about theirs…) I mean, yes, within the context of “genitals.” I don’t really want one framed on my wall. But I suspect if you like females, you’ll find that part more appealing, and vice versa.

Male private parts are… well, gosh. I’m glad some people enjoy them, and it’s not really the fault of men that they were born with those things hanging off, right? It’s just genetic, and anyhow, like I said, some people are super into that! So good for penises, just please don’t make me look at the things. :smiley:

Why do they all look the way they do? Genetics? Whose genetics? The parents’. Which parents? Both of them. How is it divided? Well, determining the specifics for any tiny difference seems like trouble, much less figuring out how every variable in looks and size matches up to some specific genetic origin. Are we going to start breeding people for prettier genitals now? I say we just learn to accept them, and their beautiful diversity, according to our own tastes. From what I’ve heard from straight women, size and shape is less important to women than men anyway.

It was a rabbi in the version I heard.

Sure, be the original question was about why inherited traits on genitalia for men were studied and for women seemingly not. I think it’s an interesting question (first thing being, of course, to confirm the premise). Rather like how external genitalia parts are so much less likely to be shown in science textbooks for the younger set than male. Even in drawing that show the external bits (just standing, not diagram), there’s usually just a cleft for women, despite more typically being visible when a woman stands that way.

My apologies for not doing enough to steer the discussion in a more serious direction.

Well, it’s not a body part that’s studied as extensively as other parts, so sometimes you can’t help but wonder if for example, the way someone’s labia hangs will be passed down to their daughter or their granddaughter through their son, the same way eye color, nose shape or penis size is passed down. It may seem like a stupidly obvious question, but it’s something that’s never really acknowledged due to the taboo around discussing genitalia.

I have a lot of questions regarding the hereditariness of sexual organs and their resulting functions. Questions that aren’t asked.

Yeah that’s another issue I have, the phallocentricity of science. Why are dick sizes considered fascinating enough to study but not vulvas?

Lucia: Vagina, vagina, vagina. Does that word do anything for you?

Bill Truitt: I don’t think it does much for anyone, gay or straight.

There’s a fascinating book called “Everyone Lies”. (Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are; May 9 2017 by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz )

He analyzed our private google moments based on searches. One point he found - male insecurity lies in fear that they are smaller/shorter than average; but female insecurity revolves around “does my vagina smell”? Appearance is less of a concern…

FYI also comes to the conclusion that approximately 5% of the population is gay.

It wasn’t an opinion or joke; there actually is an artwork called “Wall of Vulvas”, made from impressions of the real thing from large numbers of women. I can’t think of a better example of the variability of that body part.

Are you assuming that all of the genes for vulva shape are on the X chromosome? I mean, yeah, none of them are going to be on the Y, but there are 22 other chromosome pairs besides the X and Y.

But of course the 22 autosomes are randomly inherited from both the mother and father, so the general conclusion is the same. Any genes influencing characteristics of female genitalia will be inherited equally from the mother and the father, since a woman receives half her autosomal genes, and one each of her X chromosomes, from each.

This will differ for males, since their X necessarily comes from their mother, and their Y from their father. So if there are genes influencing genitalia on the X, it is quite possible for a male to have inherited genes affecting his penis size through his mother.

OK, that one was legit. I know about the project, also popularly known as the “Great Wall of Vagina” (colloquially using of “vagina” to mean vulva to make the pun). The artist is currently working on a new project to cast the genitalia of women from every country of the world.

Spoilered because it is decidedly NSFW:

I imagine he might encounter some obstacles in Vatican City or Saudi Arabia.:wink:

While female genitalia are indeed very variable, I don’t know that they would be objectively more variable than male genitalia.

Would the delivering mom then yell “Yeah, and tell her to let go!”

If there was a gene that encoded for reproductive failure, it would disappear in just one generation, wouldn’t it?

Of course not. If they are recessive, even completely lethal genes can persist in the population for a long time. And if the gene affects reproduction only in one sex, it can be passed on by the other sex indefinitely (unless, of course, it is on the Y chromosome).

ED of course does not necessarily represent complete reproductive failure unless it completely prevents erections.

I don’t see why. A gene could be recessive, it could slightly lower the reproduction rate (but not to zero like lethal genes), it could interact with other genes in a complicated way (like some types of cancer genes), etc. Also note diseases like schizophrenia where there are both genetic and environmental factors.

ETA n/m, ninja’d

ED most often affects older men, who may well have already had multiple children before it struck. And even with ED, sex is usually still possible, just more difficult (maybe it takes a few hours of foreplay, instead of a few minutes).