Female singers with low voices

We have had some threads about high falsetto male voices, so I guess turnabout is fair play— what female singers have good low voices? Cher immediately springs to mind, of course, but I can also think of Toni Braxton and one of the Pointer Sisters (remember the song “Automatic”?). Who else would make the list?

Lisa Gerrard can hit some unearthly low notes. Also, Allison Moyet (formerly of Yaz, now solo) has a good, husky low quality.

Marlene Dietrich . .

Tina Turner can growl it out with the best of them. Many jazz singers can hit the smokey notes, as well.

Patty Austin.

Johnette Napolitano.

If you accept that singing in musicals makes you a singer, there’s Bea Arthur – who, when she was in “Maude” had a running joke that she was mistaken for the man of the house every time she answered the phone.

Depends how low you mean. Like Toni Braxton really low or just not-Avril-Lavigne-screech low.

There are a few indie artists that I know of:
Lorna Vallings has a nifty lower range with a slight husk. Her official site has a rough mix sample of one of the lower tunes here and at CD Baby.

Faith Nolan is another indie artist with a great lower register.

IIRC, Doria Roberts has a good lower range too. And Allison Tartalia does too, when she uses it.

None of these woman sing exclusively in their lower range, but they are a nice alternative to the Avril Lavigne-like sound.

There are also some great jazz and blues divas who can get some great velvety smoothness on the low notes!

Sniffs_markers wanted me to add:

Annie Lennox
Lucinda Williams
Etta James

Granted, she’s not in current vogue, but I can’t believe no one has mentioned Anne Murray.

I have a friend who is a talented singer/songwriter with a lovely and very distinctive contralto voice. We’re all amazed that she’s not famous beyond the circles in which she performs.

Oo! Oo! Bonnie Tyler!

(Er, another that’s not in current vogue.)

Dammit Eve! Every freakin’ time…

I will add Talullah Bankhead to the list. Both of her notes were low ones.

Fiona Apple’s got a great bottom end.

Karen Carpenter pretty much sang tenor.

Pat Carroll, who was the voice of the Sea Witch in Disney’s The Little Mermaid, got away with playing Falstaff on stage.

Yeah, and her lower vocal range is good too!

Perfectly executed, Eats_Crayons!!!

Tracy Chapman (Fast Cars ).

kd lang

Ferron’s got a great low voice and if you’ve never heard Ain’t Life A Brook you haven’t heard a great breakup song.

Sometimes, Carly Simon can reach some sultry low notes. (Rather nicely too).