Fetuses Tripping Out

In Does LSD Cause Birth Defects, the genetic damage of LSD to our offspring is basically proven non existent.

What are the psychological affects on the unborn caused by a mother taking LSD? I don’t think a massive hallucination would be that good for the psych of a soon to be born infant.

It can be quite traumatic. Some of them take up to a year before they even start to talk.

Also, they have trouble focusing. At times it seems as if they don’t understand what you are saying, and their motor skills are poor at best, sometimes even having to crawl on their hands and knees just to get around.

In a recent study of pregnant women who took hallucinatory drugs prior to WWI, most of their children have died.

Yeah, but that’s due to the tomatoes, not the LSD.

I get that reference :p; I wonder how many others do.

I read the thread title and imagine fetuses stumbling over their umbilical cords and falling out of the uteri.

If you really want to be scared straight, investigate the lack of bowel control in babies exposed to LSD in utero. This typically lasts longer than an absence of language.

funny stuff in here lol

TravisFromOR:
Trying to answer your question a little more in-depth I just want to make clear that I do not have any medical degree, nor do I have any studies to refer to. I have however been at many conferences regarding psychedelics with many very serious lecturers from Harvard, MIT, Berkeley, e.t.c. and this question has come up several times and is a classic at group discussions. People like Stanislaw Grof, Ralph Metzner etc. have discussed it several times, both with focus on physical and psychological sides of the question. When people have gotten past the ‘don’t do it’-approach and actually take care of the question the thing that most scientists seem to agree on, psyche-wise, is that children in the womb are already in the oceanic experience. That is, they are most likely not really effected psychologically by LSD as LSDs effects on the psyche primarily are to remove barriers that one has built up during life, making your mind more open, connective and receptive. Less restrictive and more like that of a child, and at high doses more like a child in a womb with all gates open and inter-connectivity all over the brain. So, it is unlikely that the child has any mental effects. However, since it is an ergot based product it may be unwise to take it during pregnancy due to potential hypothetical risk of miscarriage or premature birth. But no-one wants to do any research on it. Any how, people who had parents who took LSD in the 60s during their pregnancy does not seem to have any issues arising from specifically this. If you want to know more about the physical or mental effects it may or may not have on children look up www.maps.org

Here are two notes on other psychedelics:

"Here is an interesting tidbit about psilocybin and pregnancy in a paper by Tim
Leary et al that I reviewed for a MAPS-supported follow-up study to Leary’s
Concord Prison experiment ( see back issues of the MAPS Bulletin for details
with keyword Concord- more to come soon after my paper is completed).

The reference is: Leary, T.; Litwin, G. & Metzner, R. 1963. Reactions to
psilocybin in a supportive environment. Journal of Nervous and Mental
Diseases Vol. 137: 561-573.

? The sample included a woman who volunteered to take psilocybin at an average
of two-week intervals during pregnancy with the knowledge and approval of her
obstetrician. For a period of one year after delivery, both mother and child
have showed no detrimental effects whatsoever. The mother reported that her
own mental status and her reaction to the baby were much improved over those
in four earlier pregnancies."

“One of the other few papers which discussed women’s roles in shamanism and the use of entheogenic plants was presented by Dr. Stacy Schaefer, who works among the Huichol Indians of Mexico. The focus of her paper: Huichol Women, Pregnancy and Peyote, examined the biochemical aspects of peyote consumption during pregnancy, as well as the cultural beliefs and traditions Huichols have regarding this activity. Very little research has been conducted in this field of inquiry. The only scientific articles she was able to locate were published in the 60’s and early 70’s, involving laboratory tests where pregnant mice, hamsters, and monkeys were injected with mild to extremely large doses of mescaline, which is also the active hallucinogenic ingredient in peyote (Lophophora williamsii). Afterwards, the animals were sacrificed and examined. Dr. Schaefer argued that this kind of research was not representative of peyote consumption among pregnant humans. She discussed the beliefs and personal experiences with which Huichol women provided her. The women consume peyote at various stages of their pregnancy, at anywhere from 3 months all the way to 9 months. Those women who are shamans or are training to be shamans must, like their male counterparts, consume large quantities of peyote, even when pregnant. Some women intentionally consume peyote to induce labor, which, according to Schaefer’s consultants, quickened the delivery and made for relatively little pain or discomfort. In conclusion, she emphasized the need for further research that addresses women, children and the use of entheogenic plants.”

It can be so confusing. They say you should always keep tabs on your baby and then you read something like this.