Fibromyalgia and back sleeper : mattress advice?

Unfortunately, I suffer from fibromyalgia (chronic muscle pain and tenderness), and often find it difficult to get comfortable. Even a pillow can be painful sometimes! It should logically follow that a soft, cushy mattress is what I need. However, I also always sleep on my back, and have heard that firm mattresses are best for back sleepers. Does anyone have this problem? Can anyone offer general (or specific) advice on getting comfortable with fibromyalgia? Would a firm mattress be unbearably uncomfortable with fibromyalgia? For the record, my current mattress is medium, but I’m not finding it comfortable these days.

I have a possible dx of fibro, too. I usually fall asleep on my back and end up on my sides. A firm mattress just kills me. I added a memory foam mattress pad, it’s a couple inches thick and it helps a little but it’s still not great. If my hips and legs are really painful I often use a pillow under my knees but it doesn’t usually stay in place since I always end up on my sides.

Unfortunately, I don’t have much help to offer. I don’t have the money to keep trying out expensive mattresses but I would like to hear what works for others.

I don’t have FM, but I do have back problems.

Go try out a memory-foam mattress. The best description I can give is that it’s like a big, soft, rock. Very comfy for bad backs and seems like it would accomodate the tenderness. Lay on the bed for at least 10-15 minutes; the feel changes as it comes up to your body temp.

I believe TempurPedic has some kind of “try it at home” plan, where you can return the mattress if you don’t like it. They’re also the most expensive, however.

We bought a knock-off memoryfoam with a 20 year warranty for about half of the TempurPedic price. It’s very comfortable. Some friends have now bought one too and swear by it.

Personally, I sleep on solid latex (not latex core, all latex), which is similar to the memory foam, but different. It’s not temperature-dependent, for one thing, and it seems softer but still firm. (I had mine built with very firm latex and a soft-latex top layer.) It was a little more expensive than the knockoff, but I’m not sure how easy they are to find. (Bought mine from a local shop that makes all their own mattresses.)

I’m so glad you asked! I use and highly recommend The Cuddle-Ewe designed for FM. I’ve had mine for years and I can’t sleep without it!

Having FM is like being the princess in The Princess and the Pea.

I don’t have fibromyalgia but if pressure is an issue, have you considered a waterbed? The soft-siders will take regular sheets and are a lot easier to get into/out of than a traditional style. We had a waterbed for many years until I got sick of having to replace the liner every 2 years (they do spring leaks). I may just have had a run of bad luck with the liners though. Anyway, it was very comfy and I still miss it - we went for a Sleep Number bed and Typo Knig hates it (I don’t mind it).

Another benefit to a waterbed: it can be heated to a very cozy temperature. Might that be helpful to someone with FM?

I registered specifically to reply to this thread.

Whatever you do, don’t buy a pillowtop mattress! They feel nice for the first couple months, then just feel lumpy and make you hurt more. I can’t afford another mattress, so I’m using about 5" of eggcrate pads (with the little spikes facing downward) on top of the 4" thick pillowtop (the Simmons Deep Sleep). Also, it is almost impossible to find a mattress that doesn’t have inner springs, which also feel lumpy to fibromites after a while.

Personally, I find a firm mattress to be torture, but I am definitely a side-sleeper. I have a nonfibromite friend who has a memory foam mattress; she says it is definitely firm. I have only tried a memory foam pillow, and it was definitly unpleasant. (My pillows are chopped-up polyurethane.)

I think I’d go with the soft-sided waterbed. I tried one, a few years ago, and it was nice – if you have a floor that will hold a waterbed. The heat did help, but it was winter. I’m sorry that I can’t make a full critique of it.

I hope my (admittedly meager) information helps. Best of luck!