Fiction by World Leaders?

I was listening to a book-on-tape biography of Napoleon on my drive home tonight, and it mentioned in passing that at one point Napoleon had tried his hand at writing fiction. (It was some time early in his life, but I think post-adolesence.) This got me thinking – most people try writing fiction at some point of their life, and world leaders are probably no exception. Now, granted, in all likelihood this writing probably wasn’t too great, or else these future leaders would have become authors instead of world leaders, but it would still be interesting to see what fictitious scenarios various personalities came up with. Then I got to imaging that maybe people would even pay to buy a book that compiled such writings, especially if they were intelligently selected and accompanied by incisive articles by professors and other authorities… hmm, a business proposition? (After all, AFAIK the recent showing of Hitler’s early artistic attempts was pretty succesful…)

So, my questions:

1. Has anyone either read or heard of any fictional writings from other famous world leaders?

2. Would you be interested in reading such things, if accompanied by appropriate commentary?

Ah – I will begin to partially answer my own question. I know that Lincoln wrote some poetry in his youth, which has already generated some interest recently. Maybe he wrote other stuff as well?

Jimmy Carter has written a novel.

English Prime Minister Disraeli wrote several novels.

Winston Churchill and Theodore Roosevelt are two world leaders who spring to mind who wrote some highly regarded books, but to my knowledge none of them were fiction.

Jimmy Carter has published at least one novel since leaving office.

Saddam Hussein wrote a number of novels, I have no idea if they are any good.

Ah, now that’s an interesting one! I bet they’re crap, but I’d be interested to read some excerpts…

http://www.library.wisc.edu/libraries/dpf/Fascism/Mussolini.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/special_report/1999/09/99/iron_curtain/profiles/profiles.stm

http://ebooks.palm.com/product/detail/10119?book=Leon_Blum

Good luck getting reprint rights.

Do Royals count? Sarah Ferguson and a number of other princes and princesses have written children’s books.

I read a short story by Winston Churchill many years ago. It was in a collection of horror fiction and involved a young man falling overboard from an ocean liner.

I can’t remember what it was called or find it on the web though.

The best work of this genre is surely Weapons of Mass Destruction by G. Bush and T. Blair.

He also tried his hand at science fiction. Consider the alternate history short story If Lee had not won the battle of Gettysburg

IIRC, he also wrote the straight-up fiction novel “Savrola” during his off-duty hours while serving as a cavalryman in the Boer War.

Well, they got rave reviews in all the Baghdad papers…

Um, Lee *did * not win the battle of Gettysburg, in this time continuum anyway.

Is poetry fiction? If so, you can include Léopold Senghor, president of Senegal, poet, and member of the Académie française.

Pople John Paul II wrote a couple of plays and some poetry.

The piece was a double reverse. By setting “reality” in a world in which Lee had won and then by imaging changing that world into one in which Grant had won, he could doubly comment on both types of worlds. Two alternatives for the price of one.

The beginning of the piece is available here.

I wouldn’t call it fiction, though. It’s historical commentary in the form he writes it.

Rómulo Gallegos. His book Doña Bárbara remains one of the best Spanish novels I’ve ever read.

Chez Guevara, let’s leave the political swipes out of a thread in Cafe Society. I know it’s an obvious comment, but please try to resist.