Fictional books about the Papacy? [i](set in relatively modern times)[/i]

Not really difficult to know what inspired this thread! :smiley:

Anyway a few years ago I read a fun book called Pope Patrick which had the basic premise that for the first time in history an Irishman is elected to the Vatican, shenanigans ensue.

The Shoes of the Fisherman has the premise that a cardinal from an Eastern Bloc country is elected during the height of the Cold War, haven’t read it yet but it looks interesting.

In a different thread someone mentioned a book where the Cardinals are (possibly) moved by the Holy Spirit and end up voting for an obscure American, again haven’t read that one but it sounds interesting and if anyone knows the title thanks in advance.

Any others? Thanks!

it’s been a long time since I read The Shoes of the Fisherman, and while I don’t remember the details, I know I liked it.

I just now discovered it was made into a movie. Should I watch the movie first, or re-read the book first? Decisions, decisions…

I mentioned that book about an American.

It’s The Vicar of Christ, and the author is Walter F. Murphy.

It’s told in three parts. The first is by a fellow Marine. The second is by a Supreme Court Justice, and the third is by an Italian cardinal. These people knew Declan Walsh(the American elected pope) at different times of his life.

Declan, after a military career, followed by being a university professor, becomes a prominent lawyer, so prominent he eventually is appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Declan is married, but when his wife dies in a driving accident(it was her fault) he feels so guilty he retires from public life to become a monk. His election follows, but as to how it comes about I’ll let you read it. I’m sure it’s out of print but there are used book sites and I’ll bet you could find it.

Interestingly, he chooses the name Francis(Francesco in Italian) as his regnal name.

White Smoke by Andrew Greeley is pretty good. The author, who is a Catholic priest, has a fair claim to know what he’s talking about, and he doesn’t hesitate to criticize the seedy and shadowy nature of Vatican politics.

One of Doctor Strange’s villains - Isaiah “Silver Dagger” Curwen - was a fanatical Cardinal who got passed over for the Papacy; the embittered scholar with access to the Vatican’s library set to learning forbidden magic, and cue DOCTOR STRANGE #1-#5.

The Road to Gandolfo by Robert Ludlum (although written under a pseudonym). It’s about a plot to kidnap the pope, and it’s sort of humorous.

Hadrian VII was written in 1909, but adapted to a play in the 60s.

Monsignore by Jack-Alain Léger. Not directly about the Papacy, but it tells the story of a priest who rises from an army chaplain in World War II to a cardinal and the head of the Vatican bank. Made into a movie in 1982 starring Christopher Reeve.