Fictional Food, and You

I am kinda sad that the Harry Potter marketing wave included Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans (which I’ve tried…I got one that tasted like fish…bleh) and not Butterbeer. I’d love to try some Butterbeer!

I get hungry every time I read George R. R. Martin. Someone is always feasting, and the food always sounds delicious. It’s no surprise that he’s a giant fat guy. I just hope he doesn’t die of a heart attack before he finishes that damned series. Sadly, nobody has decided to invent his recipes, at least nobody who posts them on the internet that I can see. Maybe I can start a culinary adventure.

Don’t try the cake recipe from the game, Portal. The cake is a lie.

That’s what I came here to talk about. I’ve never had fresh Turkish Delight, but one year when I was younger, my mom ordered some for me as a gift. I was so excited about it… and it wasn’t that great. Certainly not something I’d sell my siblings to an evil witch for.

What was wrong with it? It might not be the greatest but it’s pretty good.

Especially to a kid in wartime England, where sweets of all types are in short supply and heavily rationed.

It’s not fictional. There are lots of recipes. And pictures!

I’ve never read more than the first chapter of Moby Dick without putting it down to go in search of clam chowder.

Here are a couple of Klingon recipes I stole from McSweeney’s.

Cite
Home-Style Gagh
SERVES 1-2

Find someone who has already prepared some home-style gagh. Kill him/her in honorable combat and take his/her gagh. Serve cold and enjoy.

Heart of Targ
SERVES 1

Retreat to the solitude of the wilderness. Contemplate what it means to be a man and come to terms with your shortcomings as a son, a husband, and/or a father. Play a drum if it helps. Thus centered, you are ready for Step 2. Contemplate the targ until your mind opens and you realize that consuming the heart of a wild animal is nothing more than a romantic metaphor and that the targ’s spirit (or “mana”) will not transfer to you no matter how succulent its heart may be. Armed with this new awareness, return to the city and order a three-meat pizza to sate your hunger. You, the targ, and the universe are now one.

I liked the turkish delight (which I asked my Mom to buy after reading LWW), though I haven’t had it since childhood. I remember it being like fancy gumdrops.

Another food that I asked Mom to get was sauerkraut, after reading the book Prairie School by Lois Lenski. I had never heard of it and couldn’t even pronounce it at first. I loved it and I still do.

I have always wanted to have a proper bombe glacee, especially a deluxe version like that done by Natasha in Someone is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe. I’ve had all the other food featured in the book and the movie. It seems that bombes are somewhat old fashioned for today’s gourmet chefs. I think there are a few places that serve them in the area, but I haven’t stopped by yet.

That’s the sort of thing you will certainly find on a cruise ship, along with beef Wellington, chilled soups, and baked Alaska.

It’s not that it wasn’t tasty. I guess that I built it up in my head as some magical, wonderful treat, the best tasting thing in the world. After I ate it, my response was something along the lines of “I don’t like my brother and I still wouldn’t sell him to the queen for it.” It was okay. But it wasn’t magically delicious like I thought it would be. If I wanted that, I should have asked for Lucky Charms.

I remember first being pretty influenced by ent draught and lembas bread when I read Lord of the Rings as a kid. Fictional food is sorta my area of expertise: