Fictional Food, and You

Have you ever had a fictional food…one you’ve read about/seen in a movie/seen in an artwork/heard in a song…actually impact your life in any way, however minor?

This afternoon, while I was adding honey and pepper to my carrots and butter, I remembered how I developed a fondness for pepper and honey in the first place.

A long time ago…I was around 10, I think…I was reading some book where a white man described kissing a black woman as tasting of “honey and pepper”. So the next time I made popcorn, I added honey and pepper to the melting butter, and holy cow yum!

Now I use the combination on all kinds of things, and love it. Maybe it was just that we had plain but hearty fare growing up; I wasn’t exposed to much spicy food, much the less sweet+ spicy.
So, have you ever run across a fictional food that made you change how you viewed it?

Besides chianti and fava beans… :stuck_out_tongue:

Didn’t you know? That’s how all black women taste. :rolleyes:

Fictional food? You mean food that’s mentioned in fiction? Because honey and pepper both exist in the real world. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m not sure if this counts, but when I was a little tyke I remember refusing to drink milk one night because I’d seen The Simpsons episode where Springfield Elementary has its milk supplied by rats. :smiley:

I’ve made all of these.

Great food from a pretty good sci-fi series.

Yep, that’s the kind of thing I mean; I did word it poorly, huh…:smack:

I remember spending weeks coming up with the recipe for a Pangalactic Gargleblaster. All I recall is that it ended up very, very green…

Wow! Ok, that is dang cool! I can’t tell what series that is from, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I read about lasagna in a cheap romance novel long before I ever tasted it. I was prepared to love it even though all I knew about it was that it contained noodles.

I was inspired to try a gin and tonic after I read the Hitchhiker series. That wasn’t as successful an experiment. Fairy Cake, from the same source, was much yummier.

Here you go.
[ol]
[li]1 oz. Everclear[/li][li]4 oz. Bombay Sapphire[/li][li]4 oz. Cold Wild Turkey[/li][li]2 oz. Herredura Tequila [/li][li]1 Mezcal worm[/li][li]2 oz. Gatorade[/li][/ol]

Well, I was always sad as a kid that I couldn’t have manna, which I envisioned as fluffy white Sugar Pops drifting down from the sky. I was afraid to taste collard greens until I was an adult because of a Beverly Hillbillies episode where the smell of Granny’s collards cooking was practically taking out the whole neighborhood. I was shocked to find out they didn’t smell bad at all.

The Sten Series.

Pretty good books. Actually one big novel, broken up into 7 books. :smiley: (Just in case someone thinks you were serious.)

Angelo Stew is clotting AWESOME!

I was serious, since you said it was from a sci-fi series; I didn’t even consider a book series, for some reason. :stuck_out_tongue:

Will have to check that out…and the recipes, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a copy of the Nero Wolfe Cookbook, and I have tried some of the recipes. I wouldn’t say that any of them have changed my life, except possibly by introducing me to something resembling “gourmet” cooking.

I also have a copy of the Nero Wolfe Cookbook. Some of the recipes are pretty good, but I can’t say that I’ve made more than a small fraction of the entries.

My wife recently made a cake from a recipe that her mom got out of a novel. It was preposterous. It had candy bars and such in it. Two or 3 bites were AWESOME and then it was just so sweet and rich that I couldn’t take any more. I’ll ask her tomorrow what it was called.

I bought some bottles of Romulan Ale at the Star Trek Experience in Vegas. Not for me, but for my brother and his friend. One of them (I forget which) opened and drank the bottle I gave him, and he said it gave him the shits. The other one decided to leave his unopened :slight_smile:

Cisco, that sounds like a “better than sex cake.” The name is quite infamous and covers several different versions of a spruced up a box cake recipe. They are pretty good, but I do still feel sorry for the person who originally came up with the name.

I wonder if the recipe your MIL got came from one of those mystery books with recipes. I’ve tried a few and find them almost universally disappointing. I may be reading the wrong mystery books, however.

To stay on topic, I haven’t really had my life impacted from food appearing in fiction. I’ve tried a few things here and there, but nothing has really stuck or been all that memorable.

That might be it, but I actually don’t think so. I’ve heard of a “better than sex cake” and I think this one was called something else.

I don’t know what a mystery book with recipes is (is this a genre?) but it sounds exactly like something she’d read, so you’re almost certainly correct.

Like I said . . . this thing was heaven for a couple bites, but then just overwhelming. I’d have to say, on the whole, it was a loser.

I think I’m one of many, many people who was greatly disappointed by Turkish Delight. It sounded so amazing in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, too!

I can report, however, that I have now had freshly-made Turkish Delight (lokum) in Turkey, and it was surprisingly delicious.

The first thing I thought of when I saw “mystery book with recipes” is Diane Mott Davidson, who writes books about a caterer who solves mysteries and includes recipes for most of the dishes mentioned in it.

Honey and pepper was a roman combination [there is a custardy omelet sort of dish that is eggs cooked in olive oil and flavored with honey and pepper. I think it is in the patina class. I don’t have access to my Flowers De Re Coquinaria right now, I am posting in bed as I got attacked with a bit of insomnia right now.]

To be honest, i love food descriptions, and occasionally I have actually gotten to eat or drink something and the ‘classic’ recipe for it just does not live up to expectations. I would say an example of this is alcoholic drinks. I like sweet/tart and fruity drinks, and something like a singapore sling or mai tai sounds great, but almost inevitably fails. It is generally made with cheap sour mix, and is cloyingly sweet, or puckeringly sour, and artificially marascinoey [if this makes sense]

I think what I need to do is sit there and experiment with fruit juices and sugar and booze and make my perfect drink. Tall, the perfect blend of sweet and tart, from actual fruit juices and not chemical blends … and I think rum will be the booze in it. I like rum, a nice flavorful black rum.

But it makes a good candy bar!