FIFA World Cup 2026 - discussion etc

Translating…
Lennart Karl has already played 3 times for the German national team so it doesn’t met the criteria of the article which apparently is about players who have not played for their NT.

Cap = playing for the national team. IIRC the term came about because teams used to exchange caps (hats) per game. You might see something like “Landon Donovan scored 57 goals in his 163 caps.”

Numbers made up.

Did you mean “until” ?!

(I think they should use VAR for all decisions, and allow teams n* appeals, like they do in tennis.)

*a small whole integer.

Ah, I see, I overlooked the “uncapped” qualifier.

England certainly used to award actual caps to players for each appearance. Not sure about other national sides. I assume that’s where it comes from. Or maybe it predates football, could be cricket?

Are soccer players even allowed to wear gear on their head? Or, they could, but never choose to do so?

I don’t know about field players, but keepers sometimes wear caps to ward off the sun.

Some wear headbands, see Ronaldinho:

or bandanas.
Edgar Davids used to wear protective glasses, he suffered from conjunctivitis:

And many wear protective gear after injuries, often after having had the chin, the nose, or the cheek broken. Some did so during this tournament, others long before.
There was a Spanish football player, I think it was in the `50s, who hid his baldness under a toupé. During a corner kick one rival tore the toupé down. He knocked him out with a single punch. Then turned around, knowing that a red card was inevitable, and went off the pitch without looking back. Unfortunately, I have forgotten his name and my Google Fu is not working today. But that was also some kind of gear on the head, as long as it stayed there.

Petr Cech started wearing a helmet after he fractured his skull on a goalpost.

I think it is glaucoma.

I believe it was Stephen Hunt’s knee.

(Sorry, in a picky mood!!)

Though I don’t remember whose, yes it was a knee, and a horrible scene.

Raul Jimenez (Mexico, Fulham) wears a customized headband because of a skull fracture, also.

Spanish head coach a little pissed right now.

I myself am onboard if suspensions are meted out.

So are Argentina fans:

What do you serve with sour grapes?

Tripe à la bile.

Idiots, replay for what? in any case the French tried it with the last final too and got the same result they will get, nothing.

Paraguay was just as bad when they played France. When there is so much on the line for a win, chastising bad players and fining them after the fact isn’t going to stop that kind of behavior. The refs need more options in the moment to control bad behavior so that kind of stuff is nipped right when it happens.

He’s not complaining about the shithousery DURING the game, he’s talking about his players being assaulted AFTER the game. At that point, it’s the responsibility of FIFA to punish it, not the referee.

Referees can caution and send players off as long as they (the referees) are still on the field, even long after the final whistle. It may make no difference to the final results of the match, but it would still trigger appropriate disciplinary measures, including fines and suspensions.

There are still ambiguous reports if Paredes got a red after the game or not. I read several reports that he indeed was carded, but that the ref didn’t note this booking in his official match report. Make of that what you will.