FIFA World Cup 2026 - discussion etc

I’ve also read reports that said Paredes was shown a red card, but I haven’t actually seen any video of it. I’m inclined to think he wasn’t. Considering an AR was in the middle of the scrum, I’m surprised. I saw no cards in the afters, neither live nor in any replays. If I’d have been the ref, I’d have been like Oprah: “Red card for you, red card for you, red card for you, EVERYBODY is getting sent off!”

Red card or not, I think he’ll get a two or three game suspension from FIFA, and that will be it.

One last question before this thread runs its course and ends:

Which fanbases are known to be rabid and which are quiet? I went to two games; Japan-Sweden and France-Spain. Out of those, the Spaniards were the only loud crowd, and even then rather restrained. The Japanese, Swedes and French were pretty quiet and not-all-that-enthusiastic.

Maybe England, Argentina, Mexico, Italy being the wild ones?

I don’t think the dichotomy is rabid ↔ quiet. It should either be quiet ↔ loud or rabid ↔ peaceful. You could even make a 2 x 2 matrix. I’d put Spain in the moderately loud and rather peaceful quarter, Germany in the a bit less loud part, England is complex, (read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby, that was written 32 years ago) but mostly loud, Argentina, México and Russia are often not peaceful. Japan is very peaceful. This could go on for a while.

If this thread is about to close, as you state (we’ll see…) I would like to mention the latest football related joke:

No further comments, your honor.

IQ47’s bizarro world in full view. Every claim upside down. Every accusation a confession.

In the case of FIFA, corruption recognizes corruption.

I read that book a long time ago and can only recommend it (just like Nick Hornby’s other book about one of my obsessions, “High Fidelity”) and it’s great, but fan culture in England has changed significantly in those 32 years, for better (much less violence and hooliganism), and sometimes for worse (less atmosphere, no working class ethos anymore, just well paying spectators). Support for club teams and national teams anyway has always differed from another, for instance most Bundesliga (and yes, sigh, former Premier League) games are much louder than WC games, it’s a different fan base.

In international games though, I would say the Dutch are the loudest. Oranje at least always bring a marching band with a big bass drum!

UEFA is taking a stand against Infantino’s corrupt bullshit.

So will we have a Euro Championship and a rest of the world WC in the future?

Good for them!

I think the idea is to force Infantino to abandon the idea.

Good luck for UEFA with that, with the rest of FIFA’s members being in Infantino’s pockets.

ETA: and I’m not even sure if Europe will speak with one voice in this matter.

CONCACAF, which is the multi-nation group the US belongs to, put out a statement that they are “deeply concerned”.

My God, Susan Collins syndrome is everywhere.

That same statement went on to say that they rejected the proposal.

For these reasons, Concacaf and its 41 Member Associations have:

Rejected the proposal;

Tasked their FIFA Council Members with engaging FIFA to determine how existing vast FIFA reserves could be used to increase FIFA Forward funding for football development across our region; and

Tasked their FIFA Council Members with instructing the FIFA President to ensure that any matter follows the proper governance processes via staff and FIFA Council, in accordance with the FIFA Statutes.

Through these actions, Concacaf reaffirms that football’s future—and its greatest asset—must remain in the hands of our football family.

Good for CONCACAF! I hope UEFA will show the same unity in resistance.

ETA: I just had a thought: I’m not very familiar with CONCACAF politics, but I suspect that U.S. Soccer are one of their most important players, if not the most important. Are they still independent enough from Trump’s administration to veto a plan of Trump’s buddy Infantino that Trump and his mafia will also be involved in?

This is the part that I haven’t seen covered anywhere. Let’s say UEFA goes through with the boycott (bonus points if AFC does too, double bonus point if CONCACAF tags along).

If you’re an investor in this, you aren’t going to pay the same amount minus the largest tv market for football, plus the second largest, plus the home of many of your sponsors.

What’s the going rate for a CONMEBOL + CAF + OFC “World Cup”? I’d be surprised if it’s a billion and certainly not for a minority stake. They would want control. Hell, add in CONCACAF to get the majority number you need, you’re still throwing a tournament with less than half the viewership of the current one and will either be held in the US every time or will have to give up the US TV market every time it’s held in Africa or the Asian countries due to time zones.

If UEFA sticks to their guns, this deal is dead just on the economics.

I hope this is the beginning of the end for Infantino, a man truly so corrupt as to make people miss Blatter and Havelange.

The June 8 New Yorker article I happened to be reading right now is “Power Move” (Sam Knight), is all about Infantry-no, starting off interestingly with the subtitle Gianni Infantino has led FIFA from corruption into one of authoritarian control.
(maybe corruption, though, could be still, like, a thing, here?)
Interesting that Platini could have been president, instead of Sepp Blatter, but an invoice surfaced that led to fraud and forgery charges. Can’t imagine Platini having sunk to the depths that Blatter did, but who knows now what would have come of a Platini presidency.
At point right now in article where G.I. is mobilizing himself at an astonishing rate and ‘all-pervasiveness’ to become next prez.

It’s over for Infantino. A World Cup with European nations is a disaster but now he can’t even get away with trying to bribe the smaller federations and their bloc of nations.

His strength is in Asia and Africa, CONMEBOL too, may be.

But yes, if UEFA holds firm Infantino is done, and not a moment too soon IMHO.

Infantino is not done until he is ousted in a FIFA general assembly. I remember when Blatter was “finished” and then staged a show where suddenly all delegates (except some Europeans) held hands and started singing. He won reelection by a landslide. That is the spirit of the “football family”.
And who benefits? The Trumps and Kushners. Corruption’s finest, never underestimate them.