Fifty years later, does America need a stupider motto?

[QUOTE=jabiru]
New South Wales does, though.

Orta Recens Quam Pura Nites (Newly Risen, How Bright Thou Shinest)

Catchy, isn’t it?
[/QUOTE]
Is there a prize for the best pronunciation of that? I’d lose immediately. :slight_smile:

Looks like Auckland nicked your old motto. Or at least the first bit. :wink:

As someone in a recent thread on national coats of arms noted, the motto of Norfolk Island is “Inasmuch”. How inspiring!

Apparently the Norfolk Island is supposed to be just that - inspiring, in a Biblical way. Some online sources say it comes from the Book of Matthew. Certainly is an open-ended motto, though.

“That’s America, Bitch!”

[QUOTE=Ice Wolf]
Apparently the Norfolk Island is supposed to be just that - inspiring, in a Biblical way. Some online sources say it comes from the Book of Matthew. Certainly is an open-ended motto, though.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Well, “Inasmuch” appears twice in the Book of Matthew, using the King James Version:

Matthew 25:40: “And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

Matthew 25:45: “Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.”

As a motto, though, it still seems awfully…elliptical.

(Oh, and I’ll fourth “America - Fuck Yeah!”–that song was probably the best part of that whole movie.)

[QUOTE=Evil Captor]
“America - Fuck Yeah!”
[/QUOTE]
BAM! Case closed. I already find myself mentally singing this whenever I hear/see a military jet fly overhead.

[QUOTE=Boyo Jim]
Isn’t “We’re number one!” good enough? Especially since there’s hardly a category left in which we’re actually number one.
[/QUOTE]

Oh really?

Well just ask who won the world conker championship and also the world marbles championship.

Go on, ask!
:smiley:

[QUOTE=chowder]
Oh really?

Well just ask who won the world conker championship and also the world marbles championship.

[/QUOTE]

And every year we win the World Series…

Isn’t Canada’s motto something like “Always Remember” (but in Latin)? Now there’s a good motto, I take in Canadians never lose thier car keys.

[QUOTE=betenoir]
Isn’t Canada’s motto something like “Always Remember” (but in Latin)? Now there’s a good motto, I take in Canadians never lose thier car keys.
[/QUOTE]

Canada’s motto is A Mari Usque Ad Mare, “From Sea to Sea” (which they obviously stole from us). The motto of Quebec is Je me souviens, French for “I remember” (or as I always like to say, it’s Canadian French for “Fergit, hell!”)

Canada: “America’s hat.”

UK: “We used to run the world. No really. No honestly. Look it up. Right, that’s it: conkers at dawn.”

[QUOTE=chowder]
Oh really?

Well just ask who won the world conker championship and also the world marbles championship.

Go on, ask!
:smiley:
[/QUOTE]

No. Shan’t. Hah.

How about “All your oil wells belong to us”?

I think my favourite state motto is the Isle of Man’s, Quocunque jeceris stabit: “Whithersoever thou throwest it, there shall it stand.” It gives the image of a game of Isle of Man-tossing.

We are a stupider America than the America of 1956. Therefore we absolutely do need a stupider motto. I propose:
In Us We Trust, or
You Can’t Spell Jesus Without U.S.

“You fucked up-- You trusted us!”

[QUOTE=rayh]
How about “All your oil wells belong to us”?
[/QUOTE]

“US burning your dog!”

[QUOTE=rayh]
How about “All your oil wells belong to us”?
[/QUOTE]
Or maybe “I’m in ur country killing ur doodz”

Almost forgot…and The World Tiddlywinks Championship.
So go Merkins, beat that iffn ya can

Our God is Stronger than Your God: Everyone of whatever religious persuasion can delude themselves into believing their particular God is the referenced stronger God while all the other jerk-off Gods don’t count for shit.

[QUOTE=Terrifel]
Is it once again time to safeguard ourselves with a new, even stupider motto?
[/QUOTE]
Yes.

And since, as noted above, we have a tradition of “testing out” new mottoes on coinage before making them official, I’d like to propose the following New Motto Coin.