Fight Club Appreciation Thread

This is also my favorite , and I can’t imagine that there will ever be a better film. It’s hard to pick a favorite part, so I’ll list a few:

-When the Narrator’s boss says, “Is that your blood?” and Edward Norton says, “Some of it, yeah.”

-How extremely low Tyler wears his pants, especially during the scene at the department store.

-The whole conversation the Narrator has with Tyler on the plane, especially about being clever.

There are so many more good parts…

I borrowed my copy to a friend of mine… 2 months ago! I think I’m just going to have to go to her house and get it!

One thing I wish they would have included in the movie is how Marla’s mom has been sending her liposuctioned ass fat to Marla as insurance for future lip injections. The scene in the book where Marla finds out what’s been happening to all the fat is hilarious, and I wish I could have seen Edward Norton slipping around on the floor in a bunch of fat. So funny…

Actually it starts with a warning not bother reading it because it’s stupid and pointless, and you must have better things to do, like watching television.

I was immediatly drawn in.

Then it goes to a childhood flashback. So no it doesn’t begin with the ending, although it does have the same jumping-around-in-time style he’s done before. If anything it’s even more disjointed, throwing more weird disturbing elements into the air, than his previous stuff. I suggest reading it in one sitting and then having a little lie down. (If you’re not sure, that actually is a recommendation.)

I’ve heard they’re making a Survivor film. Anybody heard about this?

Sorry if I’m making this more of a Chuck appreciation post than a Fight Club appreciation post, but if you like Fight Club, read his other stuff. And see Survivor, if they’re really making it.

Fight Club is a commentary on so many levels.

-You are not your posessions or your money. What you own ends up owning you. Think about leaving your house and never coming back. How many carloads of stuff would you take?

-Our culture is destructive. Self-improvement is masturbation. But self-destruction… You will wear leather clothes that will last you a lifetime. You will scale the wrist-thick vines that choke the Sears Tower where the air is so clear when you look down, you can see tiny figures pounding corn and laying strips of venison in the empty carpool lanes of an abandoned superhighway. Think about hunting elk through the dark canyons of Rockafeller Center.

-We are a generation of men raised by women. We have to feel sad when we see a movie and laugh at a sitcom. We cannot show our primal emotions, and are constantly reminded we are the weaker sex.

-We are dual creatures. We create in our mind what we think we are. We are the smartest, fastest and sexiest. But we are not. We delude ourselves into thinking this and aquiring more to shape ourselves. We lose sight of what we are when everyone else tells us what we are supposed to be like as they, too, shape themselves into a mold.

-Men are in a society where we are made to look like what women want. Remember their conversation on the bus about whether the man in the Gucci ad was what a man was supposed to look like? If you read the book, remember what Bob used to do? We are supposed to be masculine yet delicate, a scarless Greek statue. This form does not show work. It does not show progression. This body only shows a mold that we strive to fit into without knowing why.

-There is a class struggle still evident. The rich still dance on the backs of the poor. In Fight Club, the poor started fighting back. At the Pressman hotel, Tyler added his urine to the soup to silently mock those who blindly bought it. Lou, the owner of the bar, lost touch of his inner demon. Tyler made him realize it. The homework assignment of starting and losing a fight with someone you don’t know was to empower the average man and make him realize that he too had power.

This movie ends with buildings getting blown up, and I posted this thread the night before you-know-what. So, at this point, I am Joe’s Red Face. I console myself with the fact that the movie does not condone the violence that it portrays.

Anyway, back to the subject - I also liked the idea that we should embrace all of our experiences, even painful ones. When he’s burning Jack’s hand with lye, Tyler slaps him in the face, trying to get him to really experience it, not retreat to his “cave” to find his “power animal.” And I love the dialogue during their first fight:

“That really hurt! Hit me again.”
“No, you hit me.”

They’re getting as much, if not more, out of being hit as they are from hitting. It’s painful, but it’s an experience they’ve never had before, and it somehow brings them out of the drudgery of their everyday life.

Others have said it, too, but let me reiterate that the book is terrific. If you liked the movie but haven’t read the book I highly recommend picking it up.

Fight Club is very good.

I’m not that huge a fan of Fight Club, but here’s a good parody from The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3621/quilting_society.html

HUGE fan of FC here…

Just about all’s been said. I liked how the movie “tested” the rigidity of modern life by symbolically spitting in its face. How could you not love this film?

And from what it sounds like, I’m gonna read the book now too!