Fight Club Appreciation Thread

It’s funny, when I first saw this movie I thought it was only OK, but it has really grown on me, especially since reading the novel.

One thing that struck a chord with me was Tyler’s idea of stepping back and not placing so much importance on the things we often think of as important. “You are not your job. You are not how much money you have in the bank…”

I also liked some of the little humorous touches, for example…

• At the beginning of the movie, Tyler and “Jack” are in the top of the building and Tyler has the gun in Jack’s mouth. Tyler asks if he has anything to say, and Jack replies, “I can’t think of anything.” At the end of the movie, we’re seeing the same scene over again, Tyler asks if Jack has anything to say, and he replies, “I still can’t think of anything.” Tyler answers, “Ah, flashback humor.”

• The Operation Mayhem assignment where they destroy the coffee shop is referred to as “Operation Latte Thunder.”

I know there are other Fight Club fans out there - what did the rest of you like about it?

I loved everything about it. I loved the dialouge. I loved the music. I loved the scenes where it showed Ed Norton’s character was fighting himself, and the security cameras showing him being thrown around.

You should check out the book.

I didn’t like it at first but it kinda grows on ya after a dozen viewings by the rest of the Ranger household.

I love all the little “I am Jack’s _______”

God, what a crock that movie was. “2 hours closer to death” is the best I can describe it.

That’s about as appreciative as I can get. Start a Fight Club Dis-Appreciation Thread and I’ll give you my real opinion.

What Spooge said.
Nothing to set the world on fire, but I did like the ideology.

I loved the book. Everything about it.

The movie was good: good direction, dialogue, music…but they should’ve kept the original ending. (The commentary on the DVD is killer, too. Too much of that stuff happened IRL.)

Just outta curiosity: have you guys read anything else by Chuck Palahniuk? I read Survivor and Choke, shortly after Fight Club. Very fascinating pattern.

Fight Club rocks. I love dark humor and this movie really appealed to me. Strangely, I think I actually liked the movie better than the book (I didn’t care too much for the book’s ending). I also liked the way it was shot; the use of colors and filters was cool. The DVD is also one of the best out there in terms of features and extras. Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk was also very cool.

I loved fight club. It will be a LONG while before I care to see another movie that ends in building that are symbolos of capitalism being blown up, however.

On the DVD. The cut scene with the girlfriend.
“Make me pregnant, I want to have your abortion.” Has got to be the most twisted line ever uttered on screen.

The “I haven’t been fucked like that since grade school” line was pretty good too.

If you liked them, read Invisible Monsters now. Definitely my favourite of his - I haven’t managed to track down Choke yet, though, so that’s subject to change.

The only thing I find a little repetitive about his books is the fact they all start at the end, and work their way back to it - is it like that in Choke, also? It has worked well each time he’s done it, but I’d like to see him try a different format.

Oh, and back on the subject - fantastic film. Even better book. Chuck Palahkiuk is a God.

Loved the movie. Seen it five or six times. I loved the dark humor, the cinematography, and I REALLY loved the way that the film’s anti-materialistic “message” was taken to its logical facist extreme; the real message of the movie, that fanatisim is bad no matter what the ideology, was well delivered.

A great movie.

Unfortunately my experience is that very few people got what you’re saying regarding the message. I still have people telling me You are not your khakis" while they were $150 tennis shoes and type that phrase on their brand-new laptop.

I thought Fight Club was one of the best movies of the last decade.

One thing which doesn’t seem to come up in discussions of the film, though, are the gender themes that to me seem to be central to the plot. There are several characters who seem to represent various fractured parts, or combinations of parts, of male or female identity (the most obvious example being the former body builder with female breasts). The yin/yang table in Norton’s apartment gets a lot of attention, an obvious symbol. In fact, my initial reaction to the surprise ending was that Norton’s personality had split into a male half (Tyler) and a female half (Marla). Which raises the question: was Marla a figment of the narrator’s imagination too?
I’d like to read the book, to see if the gender themes were developed more thoroughly there. The movie itself is definitely deep enough to be worth many repeat viewings. And in the last 20 years, there’ve probably been less than a half dozen movies out of Hollywood that made me say that.

I loved that movie so much. It was the first mainstream film in a long time that addressed the mind set i was in and was grappling against. I saw it again a month ago, and it was still pertanent to me, more so…

It raises so many issues about life in these times, specificaly, finding worth, passion and depth in a superficially driven consumersit society. Where emotions and relations have been taken at the face value of what marketing has told us it should be… very sharp on that point… that the only “real” human outlets are self-help groups and primal fight clubs; the fact that you need 2 seperate personalities to survive… Appollo, Dynosyian… it hits all the points, and a damn well shot film to boot!

Let me just say that Edward Norton can eat crackers in my bed any time. :slight_smile:

One of my all-time favorite scenes in any movie is Norton beating the living hell out of himself while his boss looks on in complete shock.

Extremely well done, thought-provoking, and funny as hell. Full of cool, quotable lines:

“You are now shooting at your imaginary friend next to XXX gallons of NITROGLYCERINE!”

One of the most interesting movies that I’ve ever seen. I think it’s a remarkably literate and aware piece of social commentary and it’s timely and just, damn, an excellent piece of cinema. To sum up: I like it. It kicks ass.

It’s great; everytime I watch the movie, I pick out something I’ve missed before.

Last time: when the narrator is beating himself up in his boss’ office, he says “For some reason, I was reminded of my first fight with Tyler”. This, of course, makes sense at the end of the movie.

Studi

Love the movie, but some of the commentary kills me. When Norton’s going around trying to find out what’s happened to Tyler and all these guys are telling him wild impossible stories about Tyler, the director and the others are all saying how stupid those guys were. To me, it seemed like the scenes were symbolic about the myths that crop up around any heroic figure.

What was weird was that after the first time I saw the film, I signed on to the SDMB and saw a thread entitled, “Can you fertilize your lawn with motor oil?” :eek:

Still, its going to be a while before I want to watch it again. Grrr

This is my favorite movie. I LOVE IT!!!