[QUOTE=WhyNot]
Pregnancy hasn’t made them adults. It’s made them parents. Not all parents are adults. Only time and education makes people adults.
[/QUOTE]
I was speaking in a legal sense, or at least in the sense of the idea that, by deciding to become pregnant, they are now expected to act like adults. We all know people who never act like adults, but there comes a time when they are expected to, and getting pregnant is one of those times.
[QUOTE=WhyNot]
Okay. Why WTF? I don’t see the problem there. Is it the ideal path her life might have taken? Probably not. Does she seem to be dealing well with it? Yep. I hope she’s using those funds as a temporary measure and gets herself a job as soon as she can, of course.
[/QUOTE]
Um…you don’t see anything wrong with her attitude? I don’t think she should be in sackcloth and ashes, but come on! It appears to me (and I know her pretty well) that she wasn’t upset. I see a tremendous difference between telling a teen “it’s okay” and “it will be okay”
Please note - my niece lost the baby about 2 months in…
[QUOTE=WhyNot]
I’ve got a friend who is 35 and single and miserable. She really wants to have a kid, but hasn’t found someone to have it with and can’t afford to do it alone. Her life hasn’t taken the ideal path it might have either. There’s lots of ways in which our lives can suck, being a pregnant teen is neither required or exclusive.
[/QUOTE]
I’m sorry for your friend, but she isn’t (so far as I can tell) asking for special treatment from the taxpayers, so I don’t see your point. Is it that life sucks sometimes? Well, duh…
[QUOTE=WhyNot]
Bothered by teenage pregnancy? Yes, I am, quite a bit. I bothered because it’s so hard for teenaged girls to complete their educations, afford child care, and work (if that’s what they want to do) in fulfilling careers and be good parents at the same time. There’s two ways to solve that problem: reduce teenage pregnancy (which we’ve been doing, and continue to try to do) and make it easier for girls to complete their education, receive child care, etc. It’s not either-or.
[/QUOTE]
But those things are hard for everyone! Men and women of all classes and creeds have to make very hard decisions about having children. I am not saying that teens should have no options; I’m not sure I agree that tailoring an additional educational program for another set of girls who have different “wants” is the way to go.
[QUOTE=WhyNot]
I’m actually in *favor *of late teenage pregnancy medically. If we had some fantastic utopia where women could be both good attentive mothers and have fulfilling careers while having children in their late teens or early twenties, that would be a good thing. Younger women have healthier and easier pregnancies and deliveries as long as they have good prenatal care, with less age-related birth defects like Down’s Syndrome.
[/QUOTE]
It’s for a different thread, but I also have a problem with people who put off children, with the attendant consequences. So we agree on something!
[QUOTE=WhyNot]
ALL obstacles? This is one, and a minor one, in the eyes of most teenagers. Remove obstacles like getting fat and losing your social life and the horrors of dating as a single mother, and then we’ll talk.
[/QUOTE]
Right, this kind of proves one of my points. You said yourself that no education is “a minor one” for most teenagers. They are far more worried about their weight or boys or whatever. If they don’t come back to school, then at what point do we stop the hand-holding? They no longer have the luxury of being a school-girl/guy.
[QUOTE=WhyNot]
Wait, I thought you said a girl could just go back to school after taking a semester off. So how is school assistance a social check?
Or did you mean the shame and blame and hiding pregnancies and getting kicked out of school has been effective in keeping pregnancies low? I’d like a big ol’ cite on that, especially since, as has already been pointed out, pregnancy rates have been dropping for thirty years, ever since we’ve eased up a bit on the most overt shaming and labeling. There was, I admit, a small upswing in 2006, but it’s too soon to tell if that’s a statistical blip or a real trend. If it IS a real trend, then I hypothesize it’s because the last 7 years have seen an upswing in abstinence only education funding, restrictions on abortion funding and a *return *to “family values” which includes those good ol’ social controls of shame and shunning.
[/QUOTE]
Please see my post #47 where I say that social stigmas may have been effective. If you read the post, you’ll see that I have been thinking about them - meaning I have not decided either way. I will provide no cite, because I’m not saying that is the case.
In addition, I feel that you are painting me with a pretty broad brush. You seem to see me as a “family values” kind of gal. And you couldn’t be more wrong about it. For example, see the same post, where I say that teen sex is pretty okay.
Sunrazor was looking for some discussion of this subject, and some “outside the box” thinking. My though is that, perhaps, too many allowances for behavior has the unintended effect, much like some of the welfare arguments.
At no point did I advocate “shame and shunning” If you recall, I’ve been through this, just as you have, and I do not appreciate the implication that I’m a red-state Christian scum bag.
What is your outside-the-box thought? Because more and more social programs don’t seem to be working…