Figs are symbols of the female sex

Cecil’s column on apples and figs was great. I have only one addition. Figs are not only a phallic symbol, they are just as much, or even more, a vulvic symbol. It’s not only that they’re a flower. It’s not only that they split at the seam and burst red and often look as vaginal as all get out. It’s the word for fig and vulva is the same in Greek (sykon), Italian (fica) and several other languages. (FWIW, the word sycophant comes from Greek words for vulva and to show – to show the vulva basically means to bend over and let people have their way.)

So just one more vote for the fig as a the fruit bursting with sexual connotations. On top of everythign else, it goes both ways.

So if the same Greek word (“sykon”) means vulva and fig, how do we know the word sycophant isn’t derived from “show the fig” instead of “show the vulva”?

Because the meaning of “sycophant” is different in English. In Greek, it meant “troublemaker”, “lawsuit-junkie”, etc. It apparently slipped into its current English meaning by way of “informer”.

How does this definition relate to “vulva”?

Hm, I was under the impression that sycophant meant someone who was a serious brown-noser…doing everything to gain favor with someone rich, important or famous . Sort of like those idiot yes-men in that tv show with dweeble trump.

That’s my point. I don’t think it does.

“Fig-shower”, “giver of the Finger” =>
“Extortionist”, “swindler” =>
“Informer” =>
“Crony”

Does what? My head is starting to hurt.

The etymologies I’ve seen say it comes from “show fig” not “show vulva.” Since the Greek word sykophantEs apparently means “slanderer,” it is hard to see how this can be related to “I’m bending over so you can have your way with me.” Show the fig (phallic, not feminine sex organ) is much more in line with the concept of someone who is saying bad things about people.

Well bending over and taking it has been a tried and true metiod of gaining favor.

Giving up your fig as it were.