Film Remakes With Different Titles

What are some film remakes with different titles from the original, and what’s the story with the most films of different titles made from it?

I can think of at least one triple-play. The Shop Around The Corner was a 1940 film starring Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan, about a man and woman who end up working together and politely loathe each other on sight, but who, unknown to either of them, are pen pals who delight in each other’s “company” in written form.

This was remade as a musical in 1949 as In The Good Old Summertime, starring Judy Garland and Van Johnson and set in a music store.

It was then remade again in 1998 as You’ve Got Mail, starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, with the setting and premise slightly altered to a small bookstore about to be swallowed up by a major bookseller chain, with Ryan as the small store owner and Hanks as the executive in charge of opening the new chain store near the smaller shop, and they’re modern “pen pals” in email.

ETA: I’m aware that the premise is originally from a 1937 Hungarian play, and that there have been additional versions in other media than film, but I’d like to concentrate on films in this thread.

Yojimbo
A Fistful of Dollars
Last Man Standing

Pygmalion
My Fair Lady

I just found out about this while reading about the Coen Brothers’ next film True Grit.

Zhang Yimou (Hero, House of Flying Daggers) is (well, says he is) remaking the Coen Brothers film Blood Simple, now titled The First Gun. I haven’t watched the trailer yet.

Wacky Trailer for THE FIRST GUN, Director Zhang Yimou’s “Remake” of the Coen Bros. BLOOD SIMPLE.

Love Affair (1939) was very faithfully remade as An Affair to Remember (1957) and more loosely as Love Affair (1994). Sleepless in Seattle (1993) is an open homage to the 1957 version, and Mann (Bollywood, 1999) appears to have lifted a large part of its story from the earlier films.

Rio Bravo
Rio Lobo
El Dorado

A Guy Named Joe ==> Always
Here Comes Mr. Jordan ==> Heaven Can Wait

The Philadelphia Story was remade as the musical High Society.

The Last Man on Earth (1964)
The Omega Man (1971)
I Am Legend (2007)

The Front Page has been remade a bunch of times, once as Switching Channels.

Pygmalion was also remade as The Opening of Misty Beethoven.
Thunderball was remade as Never Say Never Again.

Manhunter = Red Dragon.

The Little Mermaid appears to have been remade as The Little Mermaid II.

Or are we only counting theatrical release?

Okay, The Seven Samurai, The Magnificent Seven, The Three Amigos, and A Bug’s Life.

The French film Nikita (1990) was remade in Hong Kong as Hei mao (Black Cat) (1991) and in the United States as Point of No Return (1994). And to confuse things further Nikita was released as La Femme Nikita in the United States (probably the only time a French movie’s title had more French added for its American release) and Point of No Return was released as The Assassin in the United Kingdom and Australia.

And once as “His Girl Friday”

Do Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory count? Purists will argue that they are both remakes of the book, not each other.

I’m on an old computer. Surely I don’t have to drum up links.

Wages of Fear and Sorcerer

Also, Battle Beyond the Stars.

Dickens A Christmas Carol has been made into many films with that title, but also:

Scrooge, or, Marley’s Ghost

Scrooge (multiple instance also)

Scrooged

*The Right to Be Happy *

It’s Never Too Late

As well as title variants based on A Christmas Carol such as *The Muppet Christmas Carol *or Mickey’s Christmas Carol

(not to mention a host of differently-titled parodies)

It’s a Wonderful Life was remade and regendered as It Happened One Christmas

Just remembered another one…

Death Takes A Holiday was remade in 1998 as Meet Joe Black.

Charade was remade as The Truth About Charlie.