Films that look good, but that you would never watch

While the clips I’ve seen make them look spectacular, I’ll never watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy because I so loathed the books.

I own United 93 and really like Paul Greengrass’s work, I just have never been able to get into a mental state where I think “I really need to watch that!”

Seconded on Schindler’s List. And I’m sure I’d be a better person if I had watched all nine hours of Shoah.

I’m done with cop flicks or movies whose central theme is racism.

YES; I knew there was another one, I just couldn’t think of it. I don’t know when/if I’ll be able to watch anything related to 9/11 – I can still barely read about it.

Same here. I hate the fact that my gym was playing Stand By Me this week, and that they’ve played Witches of Eastwick. C’mon - I’m on the treadmill here!

Godzilla '98.

Really? Godzilla '98 looks good?

I almost never saw “Million Dollar Baby” because I had so many people tell me it was depressing, and I could never get in the mood to watch it. I ultimately managed, though.

I tend to avoid war movies, no matter how good they look. Which is sad, because history isn’t my strong point.

I have a completely irrational dislike of movies where the main character spends the whole time lost in the snow. For this reason, I’ve missed out on most of Ethan Hawke’s qeuvre.

I feel similarly about extended desert and open ocean narratives, although I loved Star Wars and Titanic. Not so wild about Waterworld or Lawrence of Arabia.

I’m sure The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is good but no way am I ever going to watch it.

My wife and I try to stay at least 3 years behind all trends, we get great deals on all our fashions that way. Soooo at wifey’s request we Netflixed Sex & The City #2. Please stop this, NOW.

I thought I was the only one (and glad to see others in the thread said it too).

I’m the same way, with both. If either were shown in the theaters again I would go watch them, but I look at the DVDs on the shelf and think, no, I don’t think so.

The Gene Siskel Film Center is showing all 9 hours of Shoah. Yesterday the whole thing played, throughout the week it’s showing in two parts on different days, and next Saturday they’re showing the whole thing again. I’ll see it next Saturday because, although I can think of a million things I’d rather be doing than watching a 9 hour documentary that’s nothing but people talking about what happened back then (no archive footage from what I’ve heard), it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I’ll be a captive audience member. No way could I watch something like that at home, I’d be pausing and going to do other things when it gets intense so often it’d take me days or even weeks to watch it.

Schindler’s List for me, too, even though everyone tells me it’s great. Maybe someday.

I have zero interest in movies about suburban WASP angst, no matter how rapturously reviewed: The Ice Storm, American Beauty, Ordinary People, Revolutionary Road, etc. etc. etc. No thanks!

I don’t know if this will help or not, but I hate prison movies as well. But yet Shawshank Redemption is one of my top ten favorite movies. It’s not really a prison movie. I mean, it is, but it isn’t. I know, I know…that makes no sense! :smiley:

Oops, forgot to add my own. I’ll have to third the boxing movie comments of other dopers above. Let me add in sports movies period.

Boys Don’t Cry. I was familiar with the real life storyline when the film came out and I have no interest in watching brutal anti-gay violence.

The Passion of the Christ. I know that crucifixion is a terrible, awful, violent way to die. I don’t want to see an entire movie that, from what I’ve read, obsesses over every detail of the ordeal. Were it not for that, I’d probably see the movie.

I actually thought it was underdone, myself.

I will not watch the Blair Witch Project. I can’t stand that much shaky cam, even though I am intrigued by the idea of a film where the actors are improvising.

FWIW, I found the shaky cam only mildly annoying, and then only at times.

Million Dollar Baby and Slumdog Millionaire come to mind as recent movies I really have no desire to see. Not necessarily the best list for “films that look good”, but going through the IMDB top 250 list: It’s a Wonderful Life, Some Like it Hot, All About Eve, Grave of the Fireflies. I’ve seen more on Netflix that I had this feeling about, but I can’t come up with them when asked.

There’s also quite a few good movies I wished I never bothered to see.