Final farewell to a police dog

http://now.msn.com/k-9-police-dogs-final-journey-saluted-by-department-in-massachusetts

It may be mundane or pointless, but I wanted to share the link I saw on MSN.

I cried when I viewed it. A police dog is being led into the vet’s office for his last visit. The walk outside is lined with human officers, standing at attention and saluting.

RIP Kaiser

Damn. I gotta do something about the dust 'round here. Or the bright sunlight. Or something. RIP indeed.

A line from Kipling comes to mind: “Who had done his work and held his peace and had no fear to die.”

(Slight digression: the religion I was brought up in taught that all creatures other than man are “brutes” who lack immortal souls. This wasn’t the primary reason I took my leave decades ago, but it was a factor. If Kaiser doesn’t deserve an afterlife of some sort [I’m not so far gone that I equate a dog and a human], there’s scant hope for such as me.)

Yeah, I was all wet snotty bawling after reading this. I am not ashamed.

sniff

I am giving extra head scritchies to my German Shepherd in honor of Kaiser.

Dogs give back more than they get, but some much more than others. Rest easy, Kaiser.

Good dog.

Regards,
Shodan

Yup. That dust is hitting me, too.

RIP, Kaiser. Thank you for your service.

Kipling also had this, a verse in his poem “The Power of the Dog”

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit hat answered your every mood
Is gone – wherever it goes – for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

That photo is one of the most beautiful and moving images I have seen in all my life.

RIP Kaiser.

Ptl. Lebretton, you are a good man and a credit to your police force. Which, by the way, seems to be comprised of some number of good people, too.

I salute all of you and thank you all for your service to the community.

And also, by the same author, and very appropriate for poor Kaiser, the last verse of “His Apologies”.

Lord, look down on Thy Servant! Bad things have come to pass.
There is no heat in the midday sun, nor health in the wayside grass.
His bones are full of an old disease – his torments run and increase.
Lord, make haste with Thy Lightnings and grant him a quick release!

Thanks for the link Baker, its such a cruel twist of fate that mans best friend has such a short lifespan.

And judging a person by how he treats a dog, it looks like a fine line of people too.