Finger Jam

What happens when you jam a finger and why does it hurt for several days after it happens?

well normally, when you jam a finger, the finger becomes surrounded with a gelatinis goo that is usually spread over bread.

now as for the pain lasting for a few days… i don’t know how you’re jamming your finger, but when i do it, it is painless.

Ah yes, the finger jam. Many’s the time I’ve had that happen to me, usually while catching a softball. Sophomoric jokes aside, my guess would be that something forcibly pushing the joints in your finger together causes swelling, so you can’t bend it for a while. Probably breaks tiny blood vessels too, causing pain and bruising.

Not to mention bones. My right middle fingertip was turned to powder by a baseball.

It can also tear ligaments and cartilage, and those take longer to hear.

Yep, broken vessels and swelling from fluid pushed into spaces where they should not be. After a couple of days try a warm pack.

If you can’t remember to take care not to bang it into things while you are at home-gently wrap it to the finger next to it. Looks odd when you are not at home but if it hurts enough you can do the same for work, too.

Are you driving with your eyes open or are you using The Force? - A. Foley