Finish the Sci-Fi Story V: Independent's Day

That much time would be plenty for the android. What would be required would be to disable the Gigan ship to such an extent that it must be abandoned.

Still using it’s stealth mode, and drawing on stored schematics of spacegoing vessels the android waited by the door of the hanger. When it opened, admitting the first two Gigans come to inspect what had been hauled in, the android attacked the two towering beings, slicing through their joints to fell them, then slicing their throats. They never saw the shorter thing that attacked them, and were not able to comm a warning.

Seizing the blaster unit the one Gigan had dropped the android raced down the hallway outside the hanger and headed for where it determined the engine room would be. Moving so fast it was not seen, and could hardly be traced on security cam, even if one knew what to look for. Reaching it’s goal the android, with a few judiciously placed shots, killed three more crew and damaged the ship’s drive so badly that the vessel would soon self-destruct. It did not hurt communications because what was needed was not to kill all aboard, but to cause them to abandon ship in life-pods. At this point, after monitoring the emergency calls sent to Orion, the android retraced it’s steps and, after setting the hangar doors to reopen within two standard minutes, resumed it’s place in the derelict and waited for it to drift free into space again.

Starn Hen’stu, captain of the Vision, didn’t know how or why his vessel had come under attack, but attack it was and after his shouted comm to the Orion, to try and let them know what was happening, crossed three of his six fingers in a gesture of hope and turned to supervising the abandonment of the ship. Unfortuneately damage the android had caused had fried some ships systems and kept hatches locked, with the result that only five pods made it out, holding two Gigans each. Captain Hen’stu was still desperately trying to find a way to get ships systems up again when the strain became too great and the ship broke apart.

“Am I imagining things or is this a really bad day?” mused Sean… He was ordering Shad and Max to work on tracing the lifepods to bring them along Orion when Alma piped up.

“Sean, your’re not going to believe this, but that space junk you called Doombringer has blown clear of the debris, and is drifting with the pods.”

“Oh frell, I’m probably going to regret this, but let’s try and pick it up too. Going to be a bitch of a job though.”

“No kidding. Somethin’ else, we don’t really have quarters suited for Gigans, assuming we drag them in alive.”

“Well, I’m thinking we keep on for Engedi. That’s where we were going anyway, and probably where those scouts were based… If the Gigans can sit on the deck of one of our holds they shouldn’t have problems with headspace. It won’t be for much more than five standard hours. And I wouldn‘t be too surprised if we had a reception committee even before then. Someone‘s probably going to be a wee bit curious .”

“Umm, then not in the ‘secure hold’ I presume?”

“Nope, I don’t want the good stuff messed with.”

Sean turned away to give more orders concerning rescue and pickup.

Once the lifepods were lined up for Orion, Sean ordered Shad and Tor to the hangar deck to rope 'em, and Alma to reel 'em in.

“Ain’t no good gonna come from messing with ‘fairytales’,” Shad said to Tor as he pulled on his suit. “They’re obviously not fairy tales, but something is indeed wrong,” replied Tor. They left through the airlock as Alma depressurized the hangar and one of the emptier holds. Shad and Tor had experience with lassoing loose freight pods, so they were not as gentle as might be desired with the lifepods, but the survivors were too shaken to really care. Tor called in catching three pods over the open comm. Shad called, “Got the other two … uh, but I gotta help out a bit gettin 'em in.” Sean and Alma thought that sounded a bit odd, but let it pass.

Shad made sure the lines were true for Alma to pull in the pods. Then he scooted on closer to some floating debris. His scope had seen the markings for some crates of dehydrated Promethean Ale. He figured some salvage rights were in effect.

The passengers were for the most part unaware of what was happening. Some of the veterans had pieced a few things together and they were trying to call the bridge to rant. Most families just went about keeping the kids quiet and trying to find a soft spot near a warm wall or vent to sleep. Frontier life was tough and at least they had some shelter. An old woman drew the makeshift curtain on her sleeping man and started knitting. Behind the curtain, the old man sat up and pulled some drapes back from the wall. They didn’t just happen to setup camp next to the auxiliary vent hatch. He pulled a compact torch from his cloak and quickly opened the hatch. Loosing his cloak and faking up a sleeping figure, he slipped into the vent shaft. Then he removed the old man mask and the younger man quickly made his way down the shaft. He was wearing a tight fitting unitard that would pass as a regular outfit at a glance.

Alma’s scanners became active again. “Company’s comin’! Looks like…hey, it’s the Monty!”

The Montvale had just emerged from the Dust as if the great blue bird had manifested in some celestial magician’s prestidigitation. The old Daestral ship was owned by the Roggis clan, one of whom was another of Dimrak’s founding fathers. A bit larger than Orion, she’s essentially a long-range hauler version of the VMC Hermes.

“They’re wondering what happened here and if there’s anything they can do to help.”

The edge of a system, looking down into the well, was a strange wide open place where you felt your freedom in the void leave you behind as you slipped silently and inexorably down into the well and the crush of life waiting to tear you apart. So, out on the edge of nowhere, suddenly everyone starts showing up?

“What is this – Homecoming? The Prom?” barked Sean, “Everyone and his cousin showing up to get a piece? Well, I didn’t get you a corsage. And I sure don’t want one pinned on me.” Sean knew you had to be careful when handling salvage. A crippled ship that seems dead could still hold surprises. The Doombringer now had more legend behind it than was likely true, but that derelict was mishandled and the Vision and her crew suffered. Now - the trick was to handle valuable salvage without being stupid. “Shad, when you’re, uh, finished, would you mind lassoing that ship,” it was a little too spooky to keep saying its name,” out a ways? Alma, let’s take a first look.”

Alma directed a scan over the Doombringer. “Systems are dead. Core’s been dumped. No radiation to worry about … Some dead bodies … and, I’m detecting a faint life sign behind some bulkheads.” That seemed worrisome, but you don’t leave someone out to die even if the ship is haunted. “Shad,” called Sean, “Check out the lifesign.”

“Hell, if I am!” replied Shad. Sean knew Shad wasn’t afraid of it, just too cautious about his own skin to risk it without some obvious reward. Sean sighed, “I’m comin’ out.” He suited up and floated over. Scorch marks on the outside attested to a fierce battle. Holes blown in the bulkheads gave dangerous edges for a suit. Inside looked like a fire-fight of its own. The faint reading came from one of the power core tubes. This close, the readings were still faint but said no air in the tube, so Sean used a welder to pop the hatch bolts. Inside was a figure huddled in a spacesuit laced with emergency seal patches. The faceplate was darkened and the figure didn’t respond to being moved.

Sean guided the figure back to the hangar lock. Shad and Tor were back. They had guns drawn and pointed toward the airlock and were keeping the Gigans at bay. The Gigans wanted whoever it was they felt responsible for their ship’s destruction. Alma and Max were at the lock door too, guns drawn. Sean said over the hangar speaker, “We don’t know if this is the person responsible or just another victim, so keep it calm,” then he reflected and said, “Monkey Benedict Papillion Unfurled,” to render the same general message. The Doombringer could have caused problems, the Gigans could have been careless, or this figure could be involved.

Sean cycled the lock and opened the door to four guns. “I hope your aim’s good,” chided Sean. He slowly unfastened the helmet seals. A small hiss as air equalized. He removed the helmet and a cascade of flowing red hair tumbled to the floor. Alma gasped, “Jessie!” Sean just stopped and stared.

No one moved for seconds. Then Max whispered to Alma, “Who’s Jessie?” Alma gulped and it was another few seconds until she responded. “J-Jessie was a cargo captain. Like Sean. We, uh, had dealings from time to time. Sean and her grew – friendly.” Max was a bit puzzled, “Seems like this would be a happier reunion.” Alma sighed, “It would – if she hadn’t been shot and killed.” Max thought that over. “Well things aren’t always what they seem to be,” he ventured. “Maybe she was just injured.” Alma nodded, “You might think so, but then - I’m the one who shot her.”

Sean and Max stretchered the unconscious form toward the makeshift sickbay. Shad and Tor kept guns drawn expecting a sudden attack and kept the the Gigans crawling along the hallways at bay. Sean thought back to the last time he saw Jessie alive.

The Mariposa port market had every vendor imaginable was out for the crowds. The main market vid was replaying highlights of Marsted latest speech. Colonel Marksted had just finished his sixth of twelve speeches along the Engelmann Corridor and was leaving for Ginny’s Moon today. He was amassing a growing following in the Outlands to add to his base with the Independents.

Alma and Sean were walking through the market. Alma’s communicator signaled a private call and she and Sean stepped into a nook between stalls. “Go ahead,” Alma said. “Radcliffe here. Marsted is coming through the east-side but we can’t get any more details. And we still don’t know what ship he’ll be leaving on. We’ll still cover the east access to the private ships and liners.” Alma responded, “And we’ll cover the ports and commercial lines. Good hunting.” Alma signed off and they stepped into the throng.

Sean was bumped by a lovely backside and a cascade of flowing red hair. In a sideways glance she whispered, “Hey, know where a lady can find a really good,” and she paused, looking around surreptitiously, “Heeler?” she ended. Sean dropped comfortably back into their banter and feigned a headache. “You’re not on that kick again, are you? Get a Persian or an Abyssinian. At least they can earn their keep,” he said, smiling. “Hey,” and she rubbed up next him and looked up with her flashing green eyes, “Cats are too fickle. I prize loyalty and determination in my animals,” she said and punctuated her syllables with nudges of her hips.

“Speaking of which,” she grinned, “I haven’t seen you in days. Got a hot cargo lined up?” She saw Sean’s hesitation. “Or are you out polling for Marsted?” Sean replied, “No, but he’s a good man and I think he’ll be someone who can get some real changes made.” “That old line?! Don’t get too chummy,” she replied, “He sold out too much in those peace treaties he negotiated and I’m worried he’ll do the same in office.” Sean grabbed her around the neck playfully, “Always keeping me on my toes.” She playfully punched him in the stomach, “Someone has too.”

Alma’s communicator beeped a different signal and she whispered urgently. Sean said, “We gotta go,” and kissed her quick as he and Alma darted into the crowd. “Oh, no you don’t,” Jessie sighed and she followed. “Jessie, I’ll call you tonight,” he called over the dim. “Don’t bother, I’ll still be on your tail,” she replied. Alma and Sean slipped further ahead. Eventually they ran into the east-side square. Alma checked her gun as she said, “He should be coming through any minute.” Sean drew his gun and checked it too. They stepped a few feet apart. A figure entered the square with beefy bodyguards trying to appear inconspicuous. As the entourage almost reached the gates, three men emerged from the crowd brandishing clubs.

“You sold us out!” they shouted and ran for the group. While the bodyguards were busy, Sean was watching the area. “Two-twenty,” he called to Alma to let her know about the shooter at her two-o’clock position about twenty meters up. They both fired at the snipers up on the walkways. A different sizzling shot hit a bodyguard and he crumpled as another fell in to block Marsted. Alma turned to target the shooter and froze, open mouthed. A rapid-fire following shot took the other bodyguard down. Marsted was out in the open. Alma pulled the trigger. Sean saw Alma standing still after her shot. He turned to her target and saw Jessie with a smoking hole in the front and a splatter of guts on the wall behind. She slid slowly down the wall her eyes still wide open, staring.

Sean’s thoughts returned to the present when he realized that Shad had been talking. “Come again?”

“I was jus’ sayin’ that I think whoever, or whatever, this is came from Galen. Most likely SISCO Labs.”

“What?” said Sean, incredulously. He and Max lifted the stretcher with Jessie up onto the table in the makeshift sickbay. Usually this room held small cargo boxes and specialty items. There were lots of drawers and a few counters to display things and it was right off the main cargo door to allow merchants and buyers access without them running all over the ship. It also had some baffles that could isolate the air supply in case of bad atmosphere at the landing site or airborne infections when used as a sickbay.

“This thing could be some kinda machine!” said Shad pointing at it. Max got out the medical scanner and tried to stay out of the conversation.

“You’ve been watching too many vids,” said Sean. “This can’t be Jessie,” he said, but a sound of doubt and longing could be clearly heard, “but we’re not jumping to any conclusions.”

“There’s nothing else in that ship. I think it’s just playin opossum,” said Shad and he massaged the barrel of his gun to show he was ready for it. Just then she stirred and sighed out a sound. Shad jumped back and pointed his weapon.

“Hold it!” said Sean. He leaned closer, paused cautiously for a moment, and then leaned in slowly.

“Sean?” she croaked in a hoarse whisper. Then she grabbed Sean’s arm and tried to sit up. Shad stepped forward for a clear shot and pointed his gun squarely at it. She said, “Take … take cover - it got the crew, it’s - too strong - fast … Look out …” and she fell back to the table.

Max spoke up, “Uh, the scan shows she’s, uh, normal temperature and brain activity. Just dehydrated, slow heart rate, and blood preassure is a little low.”

“Look,” said Sean. “I don’t know who this is,” his voice trailed off for a moment, but returned, “but we’re gonna find out. Shad, you stand guard. Tor you come with me. We’re goona go over that ship and find out what’s going on. Alma, there’s a doc on the manifest. Get 'em over and check her out. Max take care of her, then plot a course assuming we have to tow that ship.”

Shad reflected on the first time he saw Sean and Alma. They hadn’t yet built up a crew so were still just working as a pair, their military background being useful in drumming up contracts to clean up messes left over from other peoples’ wars.

It was on Bethamaan, where Sean and Alma were pulling some SKATA mines. SKATAs were best disarmed with a Dead Dog Digger and those don’t get handed out to just anyone. Other objects could be used but tended to leave a bigger mess. Sean and Alma were so busy that they hadn’t noticed the hovercars pulling up to their work site. Sean had just picked up a mine when a slight Russian accent said, “I’ll take that. And the rest.” Sean and Alma looked up to see about a dozen guns pointed at them; in the center was a man standing at the door of a hovercar, his hand out. Sean and Alma started to stand. “Slowly,” ordered the boss.

“Vladimir?”

The boss nodded with a bit of a laugh. His crew, relaxed, lowered their weapons. Vladimir then grabbed Sean’s hand and held it up. “Dead Dog. Very useful piece of equipment. Unfortunately, we don’t have any.”

“Forget it,” spat Sean. “We’re even.”

Vladimir pulled a pistol on Sean, then made a ‘come here’ motion with his free hand. Followed by snapping the fingers on his free hand. One of his goons then reached in a hovercar, pulled out a sandwich, then handed placed it in the free hand. “Sorry,” said Vladimir between bites, “haven’t had lunch yet.” Then he looked at the gunfire that suddenly erupted from his left. Sean simply kept his eyes on Vladimir and smiled.

Alma had shuffled toward a goon standing at the end of the line. When the time was right, she kicked the goon in a knee then took his weapon and issued some warning shots. “You leave him alone!” The other goons divided their aim between Sean and Alma, then a single shot rang out. Vladimir’s sandwich went flying and everybody looked around to see where the shot came from.

Shad, who had recently become Independent himself, had been watching all this through a rifle scope from the other end of the field. He had been aiming for the pistol but the sandwich got his point across just the same. More gunfire strafed the hovercars, then the voice of Shad’s boss boomed, “Vladimir Rostov! You are surrounded! Toss the weapons and reach for the sky!” What passed for the local police knew Vladimir wanted the mines and that he would have been watching for a removal crew. The area had been prepared to let Rostov’s crew in but not out, unless it was under guard.

Shad wondered if he’s caught in the middle this time.

Alma entered the cargo bay and began fending off shouts of “Hey, what’s going on?”, “What’re those giants doin’ here?”, “My family didn’t sign-on to get caught in a fire-fight!”, “When are we gettin’ to Engedi?”, “You can’t treat us like this, I’m gonna sue!”, and the like. She ignored them and started asking for the doctor.

John Smith had been monitoring ships conversations while walking through the ducts when a little symbol on his display indicated Jane was calling. “They’re looking for a doctor” was the coded message. He headed back to don his “old-man” outfit. He knew the doctor on the manifest was a glorified barber and not much more than a vet. Stepping in as a “retired” doctor he should be able to get himself insinuated right in the thick of things, just as he wanted. He considered a name for his character and realized that he had played parts for so long that he really didn’t remember who he originally was. He smiled as he treaded silently down the tube.

Alma was talking to the barber as a kindly old man walked up. He had a shock of white hair and a closely trimmed white beard. “Young lady, were you perhaps looking for a doctor? Is someone ill?”. Alma replied, “We have a woman we rescued who needs looking after.” In a slow drawl he said, “Well, I’ve had some experience with asteroid miners and the odd stevedore.” He gestured a bow toward the other man, “But if you’ve already found someone -”. The other man hurriedly interrupted, “Oh, no, please, uh, that’s okay, uh, you can help them.” He bowed slightly and said, “I’ll do my best. The name’s Gillespie. Dr. Leonard Gillespie, at your service.”

Sean had just finished pulling what he could off the derelict’s databanks when Tor spoke. “Something coming.”

“Could you be a bit more specific?”

Tor frowned. “Big.”

“Great.”

Sean then heard his comm come to life. “Uh, guys?” prompted Max. “Best get back here. I think we’ve just been scanned!”

Sean keyed his comm. “Friends of those Epsilons?”

“Don’t think so. It’s…,” trailed off Max as a surplus vessel from the Dulchan Navy came into view, seemingly out of nowhere. “Oh, boy!

I wouldn’t usually post this here, but since an old story has been revived, I’ll let you know I’ll reread what’s written so far, review the others, and get back into the game. It’s been too long since we did a “Finish the…story”!:stuck_out_tongue:

Sean and Tor returned to the Orion just in time to see Xi firing what appeared to be a very large pistol at the head of “Jessie”. During all the commotion, she had retreated to her quarters to rummage through a pile of “junk” which she had collected over the years. She dashed toward the makeshift sickbay after finding what she was after. She leveled the “weapon” and fired before anyone could mount much of a reaction. Words to the effect of “XI! WHAT THE HELL?” were the best the crew could manage.

From the “weapon” emerged a long and thin rectangular object, which bore a passing resemblance to a old-time television remote. The object seemed to pause in mid-air then flew toward “Jessie” and entered near the top of her skull. The device was for an older model but still compatible.

Alma was the first to break the stunned silence. “How…?”

“Didn’t. Took a chance.”

The man who identified himself as Dr. Leonard Gillespie spoke next. “Folks, I’m a simple country doctor. It appears to me that what you need is a programmer!”

“Or an engineer?” prompted Kate.

[Moderating]

I think this is a thread game? We didn’t have a forum for that 11 years ago.

Moving.