Fire Truck Pulls Over Our Summer Intern On Her Way To Work

I feel the same way. Then again, after reading how they are not supposed to do that sort of thing I think that probably explains why it doesn’t happen to us. We just live in areas where the firemen don’t break the rules*. I’m sure that’s the reason.

[sub]*Well, except for those guys who took dirty pictures in their firehouse.[/sub]

If you want to meet firemen, go by the firehouse and say hello. Most of the time full time firemen are not doing much but passing time. I bet they’d love to meet some new people and show them their pumps and hoses. You can probably even find a legitimate, civic reason to do this. No need to wait for your guy in suspenders to pull you over. Be bold.

::: Lights & Siren:::
Say Scout “How you doin?”

:smiley:

No, I’m not a fireman, sorry.

Don’t bother arresting the guy. Just email him this:

It’ll be more effective than jail time.

What!? no link?? Pictures we need pictures.

[sub]My firefighter never breaks the rules. They bend.[/sub]

Yeah, lets get him fired… he is a real threat to the community. Everyone on the truck should be fired or at least fined $10K

Of course when I do something really stupid, I want him to risk his life for me …

People who advocate zero tolerance just rub me the wrong way.

I’m sure all the EMT’s here on the board are all just great but let me tell you, all EMT’s are not nice or good. I’d much rather see the really bad ones, like those that tried to hurt me and mine on several different occasions and in different parts of the world, get worked over by the justice system. But locked in an ambulance is a hard place to come up with witnesses.

It is a mean world out there and this particular transgression is much ado about nothing IMO

YMMV

:rolleyes:

Every time you turn on your lights or sirens you risk putting another driver, or yourself, in an accident. Some of these accidents cause injury or death. When I was a police dispatcher, we were told explicitly about the policy. It is very clearly written out exactly when you use lights and sirens because of the potential for doing harm. We watched a video, even, called “Running Hot”, about someone (I think it was an ambulance driver) who caused a fatal accident when using lights and sirens without needing to.

How’s about this?

Many years ago now, when I was younger and single, I worked in a pub and was fast friends with another girl that worked there. We would finish about 2 am, and often, walk home together or, more often, to the local 24hr cafe and sit around for a couple of hours drinking tea and yakking it up the way best friends do. Around 3 or 4 we’d walk home together, the pub, our apts and the cafe all being short walks in this small safe (ish) city.

We knew this cop who was often dropping in on the pub on some pretext or the other, he creeped everybody out a bit, but as employees we had little choice but to smile and be nice, which we always were.

He bumps into us in the cafe, very late one night, and insists on driving us home, on the pretext of our personal safety. Now we were young, but we were not stupid, we both know this ain’t right. We try everything we can think of to beg off, but as a young girl you can hardly say, “Hit the bricks.” to a cop. We even said we’d hate for him to get in any trouble, but all to no avail. Finally we just gave up and went along. We let him drive us both home, maybe a 10 minute drive.

Well, it turns out, someone saw him, or maybe heard us trying to avoid the ride, and he ended up being reprimanded and walking a beat for like 6 months during a particularly cold and harsh winter.

I am now, much older and some wiser. And I understand that for every beautiful woman out there, dodging a ticket by batting her eyes and exercising her feminine charms, there is a young woman receiving unwanted attention from an authority figure. She can feel it’s not right, but is often not yet savy enough to speak up and say,
“I am a young woman and you are a ______ (cop, fireman, lawyer, whatever) and I find your behaviour inappropriate, it makes me uncomfortable.”

I don’t attach any evil to what these boobs are doing, in most cases I’d say they think they are being cute or romantic. But if one woman spoke up I believe they’d change their tune.

Rest assured though, men who pull these kind of stunts never seem to be able to keep their mouths shut. They’ll be bragging it up to anyone with ears, until they reach the person who will set them straight, hopefullly pointing out the liabilities to such actions.

Shibb, I’m really trying not to <snerk> at the innuendo involved in “showing you their hoses”.

I’m TRYING NOT TO BE JUVENILE. I’m not very good at it though.

In the suburb where I grew up, there was an officer who would rush accross town with his lights and siren to go home for lunch.

When the local newspaper found out about it, he turned into a former officer.

Sorry, they were taking dirty pics of some girl, they weren’t in the dirty pics.
[sub]Hmm … bendy firemen.[/sub]

I was thinking the same thing. Where’s my walker?

Don’t be silly. Do you even have a firetruck? :dubious:

Oh no you don’t. You don’t just waltz into a thread and post something like that. Not without giving details.

OK, here’s what I wanna know: how late was your intern to work? :dubious:

I watched it too. I’ve been looking for the link to the man’s story. He was a seasoned Paramedic who did something like 4-6 years for manslaughter for killing a child with his ambulance, running hot when it wasn’t necessary.

Guns, if zero tolerance means that nobody is killed by a fire truck ( man…you have any clue how heavy and dangerous a fire truck IS??? ), then yeah. I’m zero tolerance in this particular regard and proud of it. Tell us all something please- how many hours to you have logged that are verifiable behind the wheel of either an ambulance or fire truck?

Please consider the storynursecarmen shared up there. Whether you like it or not, or feel it’s a zero tolerance over-reaction the plain truth is that it is A) astonishingly dangerous, and B) illegal to do what that person did.

Yes, that’s right. When you do something stupid you want him to risk his life for you. THAT’S HIS JOB. He is a professional. The courtesy only goes one way, ok? He does something as patently stupid as running hot to flirt with a woman? Woe to him.

And lastly… tell me how “zero tolerance” you would think I was being if your parent/SO/child were right behind that fire truck as they went hot and then pulled over onto the shoulder…and panicked because the fire truck slowed suddenly down. Panicked, ran off the road and had a serious motor vehicle accident themselves. All because some guy needed to flex his dick. Seems kind of pathetic.

And dangerous.

And, for those who are reading this and feel I and other EMS/Fire professionals are getting our dander up for no good reason, I invite you to do some reading.

Cite 1

What happens when a car panics while getting out of an ambulance’s way

Read down the list of names here and see how many show Ambulance Crash as a cause of death.

It doesn’t matter that Las Vegas is a huge city, the community of fire fighters there is comparatively small, and there was more than one involved, right? I’m sure this story would get HUGE attention, if posted to the right place. This kind of story has great appeal, and can spread like wildfire across the internet. If there were video, it could be legendary. But is that a good thing?

The question is, do we want that kind of attention for:

1. The fire fighters involved – they could be disciplined more harshly than warranted for a simple prank or dare.
  2. The intern. If this blows up too big, she could be tracked down, or receive unwanted attention.
  3. The SDMB, potentially as an original source of the story.

What do you think – should the story be pursued on [fakeurl]lasvegasfirefighterforum.com[/fakeurl]?

I think it’s funny as hell, and deserves to be shared with a wider audience.

And rereading this, I see I was too subtle. Did anyone witness this flirtation or was it what she told y’all when she got to work?

If there was ever a sentence begging to be taken out of context… :smiley:
How YOU doin’?! :wink: