First Caesarian Section

Just a minor commment on Cecil’s old column on Caesarian Sections .

Since 1976 the name of the skilful surgeon who performed a successful C-seciton has now been revealed to be Jacob Nufer who successfully performed the operation on his wife in 1500.

What remains unknown is how many geldings someone would have to perform to make a living as a pig gelder remains unanswered…

Sorry about this hijack. From kiwiboy’s link:

Bolding mine. This man gelded sows? Or is the meaning of geld a little broader than “cutting off the testicles”?

Maybe he plated sows with gold. Oh, wait, that would be sow gilder. Never mind.

Just in case someone fails to follow the link and read the text carefully:

I thought guilders were Dutch, not Swiss?

Leaving aside the question as to whether Jacobeb performed the operation, I’m not sure how to answer **Ice Wolf’s ** sow gelding query. Perhaps it’s a typo on thier page

Maybe if he was planting gold, instead of plating it, he could be a gold sower.

And if we’re looking for other references to surgical birth, I know that this is far after the Talmud, but we mustn’t forget that one of Shakespear’s characters was from his mother’s womb untimely ripp’d (not saying whom in case anyone here doesn’t know that play). Unfortunately the Bard doesn’t tell us whether the lady in question survived.

From dictionary.com:

\Geld, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Gelded or Gelt (?); p. pr. & vb. n.
Gelding.] [Icel. gelda to castrate; akin to Dan. gilde, Sw. g["a]lla,
and cf. AS. gilte a young sow, OHG. galt dry, not giving milk, G.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
gelt, Goth. gilpa siclke.] 1. To castrate; to emasculate.

1. To deprive of anything essential.

Bereft and gelded of his patrimony. --Shak.

1. To deprive of anything exceptionable; as, to geld a book, or a story; to expurgate. [Obs.] --Dryden.
    Source: Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.