First...start a nice little war

I have what I think is an interesting tidbit to share with you regarding the possible reason things have gone as they have since G.W. Bush took office.

Many years ago (in 1952) when I was just a kindergarten student, I was out in the garage with my Dad watching him work on one of his hobbies, when he began rambling on about what he had always been told were the first duties of a new Republican President when he entered the White House. An odd conversation with such a tiny person, but I think he was just enjoying educating me about “Republican political thought” since both he and my Mom considered themselves “dyed-in-the-wool” Republicans. Here’s what he said to me:

“The first thing a Republican President needs to do when he gets into the White House is to identify an enemy of the U.S. If there is no enemy then he needs to create one. Once the enemy has been identified, then he needs to start a nice little war. This way he insures his re-election and helps improve the economy since a wartime economy is a healthy economy.”

I asked “don’t people die in wars?”

He said, “yes, but it is a necessary evil. People will not get along with each other unless they think they are threatened, then they will unite with each other and become loyal to their new President.”

I walked away in silence imagining my best friend at the time, who just happened to be a boy, would have go and fight in a war someday just to keep a Republican President in office and the economy healthy.

The scary thing is…I have seen this tactic used over and over again by Republican presidents over the years. And unfortunately it appears to work for them. Let’s hope that all the un-decided voters, the registered non-partisans such as myself and all the registered Democrats go to the polls tomorrow and prove my Dad wrong!

I’m no history buff…but until Papa Bush took office, wasn’t it the Dems that got us into wars and the Pubs that got us out?

But when Eisenhower was elected in 1952, the U.S. was already in a “nice little war” in Korea.

Please give examples.

[ol][li]French and Indian War (1754 to 1763)[list=a][]Started by King George III (Royalty)[]Ended by King George III (Royalty)[/ol][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Revolutionary War (1775 to 1783)[list=a][]Started by John Adams, John Hancock, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Ben Franklin, et al (Founding Fathers)[]Ended by John Adams, John Hancock, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Ben Franklin, et al (Founding Fathers)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]War of 1812 (1812 to 1815)[list=a][]Started by James Madison (Democratic-Republican)[]Ended by James Madison (Democratic-Republican)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Invasion of Canada (1812)[list=a][]Started by James Madison (Democratic-Republican)[]Ended by James Madison (Democratic-Republican)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Mexican-American War (1846 to 1848)[list=a][]Started by James K. Polk (Democrat)[]Ended by James K. Polk (Democrat)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Civil War (1861 to 1865)[list=a][]Started by Abraham Lincoln (Republican)[]Ended by Abraham Lincoln (Republican)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Spanish-American War (1898)[list=a][]Started by William McKinley (Republican)[]Ended by William McKinley (Republican)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Philippine-American War (1899 to 1913)[list=a][]Started by William McKinley (Republican)[]Ended by Woodrow Wilson (Democrat)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]World War I (1914-1918)[list=a][]Started by Woodrow Wilson (Democrat)[]Ended by Woodrow Wilson (Democrat)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Invasion and Occupation of Haiti (1915 to 1934)[list=a][]Started by Woodrow Wilson (Democrat)[]Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]World War II (1939 to 1945)[list=a][]Started by Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat)[]Ended by Harry S. Truman (Democrat)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Korean War (1950 to 1953) [list=a][]Started by Harry S. Truman (Democrat)[]Ended by Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Vietnam War (1957 to 1975)[list=a][]Started by Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican)[]Ended by Gerald R. Ford (Republican)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Bay of Pigs Invasion (1961)[list=a][]Started by John F. Kennedy (Democrat)[]Ended by John F. Kennedy (Democrat)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Invasion of Grenada (1983)[list=a][]Started by Ronald Reagan (Republican)[]Ended by Ronald Reagan (Republican)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Invasion of Panama (1989)[list=a][]Started by George H. W. Bush (Republican)[]Ended by George H. W. Bush (Republican)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Persian Gulf War (1990 to 1991)[list=a][]Started by George H. W. Bush (Republican)[]Ended by George H. W. Bush (Republican)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Kosovo War (1999)[list=a][]Started by Bill Clinton (Democrat)[]Ended by Bill Clinton (Democrat)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Invasion and Occupation of Afghanistan (Ongoing)[list=a][]Started by George W. Bush (Republican)[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Invasion of Iraq (Ongoing)[list=a][]Started by George W. Bush (Republican)[/list][/list][/li]
[ol][li]Military actions initiated by Royalty: 1 out of 20 at 05%[list=a][
]Military actions ended by Royalty: 1 out of 20 at 05%[/ol][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Military actions initiated by the Founding Fathers: 1 out of 20 at 05%[list=a][]Military actions ended by the Founding Fathers: 1 out of 20 at 05%[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Military actions initiated by Democrat Presidents: 7 out of 20 at 35%[list=a][]Military actions initiated by Democrat Presidents: 7 out of 20 at 35%[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Military actions initiated by Republican Presidents: 9 out of 20 at 45%[list=a][]Military actions initiated by Republican Presidents: 7 out of 20 at 35%[/list][ol][][/ol][/li][li]Military actions initiated by Democratic-Republican Presidents: 2 out of 20 at 10%[list=a][]Military actions initiated by Democratic-Republican Presidents: 2 out of 20 at 10%[/list][/list][ol][][/ol][/li]
[ol][li]Number of military actions ongoing: 2 out of 10 at 10% (Both Republican)[/li][li]Number of military actions inititiated by Democrats and ended by Republicans: 1 out of 20 at 05%[/li][
]Number of military actions inititiated by Republicans and ended by Democrats: 1 out of 20 at 05%[/ol]

[QUOTE=Aesiron]
World War I (1914-1918)[list=a][li]Started by Woodrow Wilson (Democrat)Ended by Woodrow Wilson (Democrat)[/list][/li][/QUOTE]

Woodrow Wilson had Archduke Ferdinand assassinated?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Woodrow Wilson asked Congress to declare war on Germany in 1917, entering the United States into the war so he bears responsibility for our involvement, not the Serbian national that assasinated Ferdinand in Sarajevo in 1914.

No. Really?

Really.

Wow. Your parents must be so proud. :rolleyes:

They are.