First world problem: Damaged discs from Netflix

Has anyone received one, notified them and sent it back - and received it again? I just did! I KNOW it’s the same one, because the “new” one wasn’t sent out until the “old” one was received (same center, too) and “both” discs were cracked in the same way.

:smack:

This has happened a couple times before, usually with rare titles which is mostly what I get from them as it is.

Netdisc is winding down. We quit when we had to purge our backlist of all the “ehhh… someday” stuff because nothing in the top ten or twenty was ever available. So I’m not surprised that they have only one or two discs of many titles and do such ‘recycling.’

Time to buy a Roku and stream it. Very little not available on streaming these days. At least, you could cut your disc plan to a very small number and save money.

You should have the option to have them send the same movie immediately. I suppose if it were in two pieces they would notice…

There is tons on DVD that’s not on streaming. Both mainstream and obscure.

That option exists?

I often watch extras, especially with documentaries, and those usually aren’t available if I stream it. I do use both services.

Are you just sending it back and readding the movie to the top or reporting it broken?

You’re still using “disks” and not streaming? Sounds like a third, possibly fourth world problem to me.

No, I’m reporting it damaged.

I even watch VHS movies sometimes. :cool:

I have not had the disc plan for 5-6 years, but I think it is unreasonable to say “very little” is not available on streaming. Tons isn’t.

“Streaming” =/= “Netflix.”

Visit JustWatch.com and see how many significant disc titles you can’t find. I’m sure there are a few, but Netflix not having something on stream is not the end of the options.

As long as something is released on DVD, it should be possible for Netflix to make it available via its DVD-by-mail service. So I regularly see newly released titles as they become available via that service.

Meanwhile, for a streaming service to offer a title for streaming, they need to negotiate the rights to it. And the problem is the overwhelming number of streaming services out there. No one subscription will get you access to everything. (Although that’s my dream; a streaming portal service that lets me select a title and then it figures out who owns the rights and negotiates a one-time viewing fee for it, without requiring that I pay a Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/whatever subscription.)

BTW, I saw a news report last week about several Blockbuster video stores that are still in business in Alaska, because high-speed internet is either unavailable, or very expensive there.

And for the OP, yes, Netflix would send a replacement copy of a defective disc immediately, without waiting for you to return the one you have.

At least you moved on from Betamax. :slight_smile:

Renting DVDs is a perilous exercise. Whoever designed the DVD (and CD) with the digital info exposed and vulnerable to scratching should be shot. VHS (and floppy disks) had sensible protection of the data. I rarely had trouble renting videotapes but I canceled Netflix after so many movies skipped 45 minutes in.

The suggestion is to stream (from Amazon which has a larger selection than Netflix). If not available on streaming, then buy the DVD.

Do you remember when CDs first started becoming popular? Everybody was saying that they would last “forever” – because, unlike records, nothing physically touched them while playing.

Whoever invented them probably didn’t expected them to be mailed back and forth in little more than a paper envelope at such an alarming rate with each disc being handled by who knows how many different people, each one not caring at all if it would ever be watchable again. They may have made them more rugged if they knew that.

Having said that, while you can see the digital info, it’s not totally exposed, it’s still covered in a layer of plastic (or whatever the material is). Many scratches can be filled, buffed out or otherwise repaired to some extent. If a disc is dirty (and this is the first thing I do if a DVD or CD is having issues), you can actually wash it with soap and water as often it’s just surface contamination.

When I first had Netflix 15 years ago I had the disc plan. I had 1 broken DVD that was reported and I assume it was taken care of.

I switched to the streaming-only plan so long ago I don’t remember when, then I upgraded to the plan with the 4k programming and a higher numbers of screens.

I rent DVDs from Redbox these days, though not often. I get discount codes almost every day. So it’s often a lot of BOGO and 2 days for the price of 1. Also, the rental fee is about the same or less than what I remembering paying for local video store VHS rentals in the 1980s. It helps that I see at least 8 boxes every time I leave my house.

While playing? Sure. While handling, storing, etc. them? Not necessarily.

Hear, hear. I’ve been a long-time subscriber to Netflix and started streaming about six months ago. I appreciate the convenience (especially with TV documentaries ala Ken Burns) but when I started, of the sixty-odd discs in queue, five were available to stream.

I heard about this yesterday, but have no personal experience: CuriosityStreamis like Netflix for documentaries.