Five Brilliant Moments in Film

Youtube is filled with a bunch of channels that list things. “Five funniest words in German” or “Ten movies which have flowers,” or whatever. Cinefix also make lists about movies, but they go into great detail and the history of whatever it is they’re talking about and why they made their choice. And it isn’t even just recent movies but a lot of classics I’ve never heard of. This channel has turned me on to learning about what goes into movies.

Anywho, I really enjoyed their latest Five Brilliant Moments of Action. It’s a little over 15 minutes but I think it’s well-worth a watch.

[Spoiler]

For those that don’t want to watch the movies they discuss are: The Raid: Redemption, Mad Max: Fury Road, Lord of the Rings, Crouching Tiger, The Bourne Ultimatum[/spoiler]

The cut from the bone to the spacecraft in 2001: A Space Odyssey has been called the most significant single-frame-cut in cinema. Anyway, it’s top of my list.

Interesting video. I’ve been critical of certain trends in action movies like that. It’s nice to see someone else tackle the subject, too; although I wouldn’t necessarily have chosen those as the five great action scenes.

The one that strikes me is in *To Live and Die In L.A., *when about half-way into the movie, the “main character” gets shot in the face with a shotgun. Wow. Didn’t see that coming.

The whole tone of the movie shifts after that. Kinda.