[QUOTE=Diogenes the Cynic]
Cite (except for the church thing)? They attach conditions to benefits all the time. They set restrictions behavior (and speech) in government workplaces. Where does the Constitition say that citizensa are not allowed to enter into voluntary contracts with the state in order to receive money? Ever heard of the military? lots of restrictions there.
[/QUOTE]
Try this. Not for the argument as such but for a very long list of cases, both SCOTUS and Courts of Appeal that use this doctrine. Note I am not making any comment as to the quality of the analysis, but the list of cases certainly includes those I remember as being central to this, and it is a lot easier than typing them out myself.
http://www.rbs2.com/duc.pdf (PDF warning)
The bottom line is that there must be an essential nexus between the benefit received and the restriction imposed in order to get a pass on this. Hence you can require that a prison officer not wear a swastika armband at work, but you cannot require he not wear one at home. You can certainly argue the restrictions in the military are part of an essential nexus, but to be honest, and I know this sounds like a horrible cop out (and it really is from the courts) the standard constitutional rules just aren’t held by the courts to apply to the military.
Now, it might well be arguable that there is an essential nexus between not engaging in “hate speech” and receiving university funding. I am not sure I agree there is, but I would be willing to consider the argument. But the point is that it isn’t as simple as saying you can be required to “voluntarily” sign away constitutionally protected rights to receive a benefit from the government.
[QUOTE=Diogenes the Cynic]
Do YOU think the university should be forced to fund a KKK group on campus?.
[/QUOTE]
Its a tough one, certainly. I have a problem with universities picking who to fund based upon the content of their speech. I’m not really sure I see a place for university funding for political groups in general. That runs into a problem with my view, though, that all speech is political (and hence protected) in it might have to lead me logically to opposing all university funding for student groups. It is a genuinely tough question, I’ll agree on that.
[QUOTE=Diogenes the Cynic]
Whatever “matters” or is “relevant” depends on the specific text of whatever agreement they signed, not some external, universal standard.
[/QUOTE]
That’s not the case though. The agreement signed might be unconstitutional. For example, an agreement by a university that you could not engage in hate speech against Christians and Jews, but you are free to rip on Muslims as much as you want, wouldn’t pass muster, however voluntarily it was entered into. It just couldn’t pass the essential nexus test. Nor, obviously, would a state university be allowed to require that student organizations ban their members from interracial dating in order to receive funding.