Flat screen TV recommendations

I am very happy with my 60" Sharp Aquos. The current model even has wi-fi built in which mine lacks. I am a little surprised you don’t seem more upset your tv only lasted 3 years. The tv I had before this one lasted 11 years and was still working when I got rid of it. I only switched because I wanted HD.

I had the Samsung capacitor problem. Unfortunately, I also had my tv mounted on the wall–poorly, as it turned out. When I pulled the bracket out to have a look at how I would take it down from the wall, it decided to help out by falling into the floor, where the screen cracked.

So I picked up a 46" Sony Bravia KDL46HX820 for about $1250. Delighted with it–gorgeous picture, WiFi and 3d (neither of which I’ve done much with). It also gets along very nicely with my Sony soundbar system. I’m sure the 55" version would be just as nice.

You can get 55"+ TV’s all day long for $800 or less these days. Tech Bargains has some almost every day including one for $699 today with free shipping. Samsung and Sony are the best TV brands overall but LG isn’t bad.

For me, tvs are an expensive item, so I buy service plans on them. Plans have gotten cheaper, so it’s easier to decide. I’ve never had to use a plan on a tv but have had to use them on other products. I am sure statistics are against buying plans, but if you need it, it is nice to have.
I’ve only had my panasonic plasma since feb. and it has no problems… But others have had problems with them, just like all electronics.

And you can almost cut the cost in half downgrading from a 55 to 50. I paid $450 a year ago for 50" Zenith 1080p Plasma. Videophiles would probably turn their nose up at it, but for sports, gaming, and DVD’s it is plenty adequate for me.