Flea: Friend or Foe!!!

No, not the bass player from the Red Hot Chili Peppers[sup]TM[/sup], but the dreaded blood–sucking Flea (Siphonaptera).

I have always been a flea magnet. Even as a baby my mom said they loved me just as much.

If for some reason my house becomes infested with them, I seem to be the primary target. Sure, there are some on my cat, but I could swear those bastards have a thing for me. They don’t touch my fiancée, nor do they “bug” anyone else when they visit.

I could be just be walking down the hall and feel them jumpin’ on by the crap load. What really bites is when I stand still for any period of time. That’s when they have their way with me. I won’t even get into when I’m asleep in bed. Egads!!

The lil’ bastards come about once a year. Without warning, my house is completely inundated with these hopping, sucking, disgusting parasites. Once discovered, I frantically bug bomb the house to minimize my blood lose.

Unfortunately, in the interim, they pop up everywhere (kitchen, bed, bathroom couch, you name it, they’re there).

My question is: Are fleas attracted to certain people? I’m not a very sweaty person, nor do I smell any different than most (that I can tell, that is). Why do they ignore others and flock to me like I’m the mothership?

From http://www.pco.ca/flea.htm

I believe mosquitos are also attracted by carbon dioxide and it’s well established that they prefer some people over others. Perhaps you have the highest CO[sub]2[/sub] and thermal signature in the house.

Here’s some more from The Complete Book of Flea Control:

I believe mosquitos are also attracted by carbon dioxide and it’s well established that they prefer some people over others. Perhaps you have the highest CO[sub]2[/sub] and thermal signature in the house.**
[/QUOTE]

I can think of no other poster I’d rather take advice from on this topic.

Thanks beatle! :smiley:

[sub] If you have any connections in the flea world, please put in a good word for me, will ya?[/sub]

So, all I have to do is figure out how one goes about changing their CO[sub]2[/sub] and thermal signature and I’m home free!!