Fled the dentist in a panic

I was just at the dentist this morning for two fillings, one in each side, and while it sucked (as going to the dentist often does), it wasn’t as horrible as the process of braces was. I didn’t enjoy the FIVE injections of Novacain (using that horrible whale harpoon needle), and I didn’t enjoy the “strawberry” topical, and I didn’t enjoy the clamp thing and the dental dam on either tooth, and I didn’t enjoy the smell of burning enamel with the polisher.

BUT. Once the Novacain finally kicked in, I couldn’t feel a damn thing. Which was the best part of the whole dental experience. If you’re going to cram eight bajillion instruments in my mouth, I better not be able to feel anything at all. By that point I could just chill and watch the Sportsnet highlights on TV and try valiantly to ignore the smell of burning tooth enamel.

Braces was way worse. The horrible cement mold thing, the interminable process of lying there while they glue sharp little brackets to your teeth, having your mouth sliced up, the monthly tightenings, then muscling those suckers off your teeth at the end of the whole mess.

I’ve had that, and gagged horribly and tears streamed down my face. I had no idea they were going to do that when I went there that day, or I might have been more prepared. Could you have an ipod or such to listen to music, or a book on tape to take your mind off it.

I remember having to have a mold made when I was getting a retainer fitted in middle school. I kept gagging and they had to take it out and start over again and they got really pissed, really fast. I feel for you.

Way way back in the 50’s when I was 10 or 11, my othodontist used a big old tray of very hot goo to do the impression for my braces. Steam was rising from the hot goo while he slapped it into place and held it there with his thumb.

I remember crying and trying to get his attention to tell him that it was burning my mouth, while he was turned away, chatting with his assistant while holding the thing in place. When he finally removed it, skin from the roof of my mouth was stuck to the goo. Blisters on top of blisters all over the roof of my mouth and gums.

Yes, Dr. Miller left a lasting impression on me. Three years later, I had nice straight teeth, but I always hated that man.

I’m hard to freeze, and had many fillings done before we figured that out. I do sedation dentistry now, and I recommend it for everyone who is either hard to freeze or has any other problems that make you not enjoy the whole dental experience.

I don’t gag on the full tray for impressions, but it makes me feel like I can’t breathe - just have to keep on breathing and ignore that feeling of pressure.

My dentist uses that too. They have to mix it really well on this shaker plate thingand then they wait like 60 seconds, shove it in your mouth and the whole thing is over 90 seconds later. SO MUCH BETTER than the plaster ones they used back in the '80s!

I talked to my good friend this morning and she goes to an orthodontist who works a lot with children. My friend says this female dentist is extremely good with the impression-thing. She explains what she’s doing every step of the way, she puts the spatula in quickly and then immediately raises the patient to an upright and seated position (with her tray table locked, I presume) so goo doesn’t feel like it’s going to spill. When it comes time to release the spatula, the dentist is able to do it quickly with a minimum of tugging.

This whole discussion has made me want to find another dentist. I like this dentist a lot- but he’s expecting me to be more tough and grown-up than I want to be. My dentist who died was very gentle, and with him I got over the fear of dentists I had had for decades.

The thing I found the MOST outrageous about this whole episode was the assumption on the part(s) of the dentist and the assistant that I was just going to sit there, open my mouth, and let them do this to me without one word of preparation or explanation. Not to mentions pay up-the-wazoo for the privilege. Like someone said earlier- it’s the “spread 'em” followed by the cold speculum. Your mouth is a very vulnerable place- just as vulnerable as your privates. You’re pinned down and helpless when they have their hands in there or down there.

I may decide to stick with this dentist, but I’m going to look around in the meantime. My new appointment isn’t for a couple of weeks.

I appreciate y’all’s comments a lot! :slight_smile:

Went back to the dentist today to get fitted for a new crown…this time I was completely prepared for the spatula/shovel thing in my mouth. It went great! Thanks to all the support here and all the comments, plus

1. The dentist and his assistant were prepared for me and were very quick, gentle, and explained everything as they did it. Both of them said I was by no means the only person to freak out when faced with the spatula. They were very nice and didn’t make me feel like a wimp-freak-oddball-crazy person at all. Maybe they rolled their eyes behind my back, but prolly this situation is commonplace enough to be somewhat boring to them.

2. I was feeling better, i.e., didn’t have the cold, cough, sore throat that I had the first time and that made me afraid I would have to cough while the thing was in my mouth.

3. Took 1/4 mg of xanax an hour before the appointment, so I was completely without anxiety.

The whole visit went very well. Whew… another mountain climbed and conquered. K-2 here I come!

Thank you, dopers, for holding my hand. :cool:

Glad to hear it went so well! I’m sure the xanax helped a lot. I had some left over vicodin from last summer, so took 10mg before my last appointment on the 28th.

Turned out we had to do the “spatula” mold, plus a couple more, again, because the permanent crown wasn’t perfect and my dentist sent it back, so I had to go through everything as if for a permanent placement, then through all the temporary stuff AGAIN, because the temp cracked when the assistant popped it off. So I still have a temp after that whole appointment, and have to go back for a 2nd permanent placement on the 17th. This temp fits better than the last one, though, so I’m very comfortable at least. And I have 10 more mg of vicodin stashed (it really helped a lot - I didn’t have such a gag reflex problem!), so hopefully the 17th will be it for a lot of years!

ThelmaLou, do you have to go back for the permanent, too? Or are you totally done now?

I have to go back for the permanent in two weeks. That shouldn’t involve any more spatulas. But I’ll be packing (a xanax) anyway… pre-emptive strike.

Look on the bright side, SDT, with all your extra visits, the dentist will be able to make his boat payment this month! :wink:

When I had braces the assistant shoved cotton above my back upper molars between the gum and cheek. As someone mentioned, the gag reflex is triggered at the top of the mouth. I kept telling her I was going to gag but she didn’t believe me, and I threw up in my mouth…she had to deal with the mess.

As an aside, dentists are said to have high suicide rates. I think they’re really murders, just cleverly covered up.

Geez, that really bites.

(No really, hope all goes better the next time around).