Flint Lead poisoning.

Although all the facts about Flint are not in, I have chosen to use it as a training tool for all of my staff. In general, not to be specific, I work in a role as an Administrator in a very large government organization.

I used Flint as an example in my yearly training this January with the theme of “we are public servants”.

My point was that no matter what the stakes are… all the BS of an office, all the politics, all the cutbacks, all the feelings, all the drama… we are still people who have been entrusted to deliver VITAL services to the public.

Our first loyalty must be to them. Not to covering up for a mistake, not to the current governor (whatever their party), not even to ME as the boss.

Now, I don’t want a bunch of Oregon Militia dumbasses decrying Gubmint working for me. But, I told them, I want people with a FIRST thought to be for those they serve.

Yes, they (the people) can be annoying at times… they can be crazy, oh boy do i have stories… they certainly don’t understand all we have to do and YES, they despise us and relish in our failings. The “people” take every opportunity to talk about “stupid” government employees who are acting stupid and, in most cases, we are acting the way we do because their elected officials (legislature, judges, executives) have told us to do it this way.

BUT…
Water… water man… water is basic human resource and when someone did not think of this when they made their decisions they were negligent.

I told my staff, I will never criticize you for standing up when something as basic as water for our customers is at stake. Speak up, stand up and be the people you are supposed to be. And, I told them, if I do not respond, go over my head.

Anyone in government who has not done this in the last few months, IMHO, needs to.

This is a disgrace in government. It has, rightfully so, eroded trust, and it could have been stopped if someone would have thought of their first mission- Service.

Lucky Mike, you’re a mensch. I know that your employees and your clients don’t always appreciate that, but I admire your ethics and your attitude.

SANDERS called for Snyder to resign. Should he? Is this worth its own thread?