Florida Gov. Rick Scott cancels high speed rail

Newly elected baby eater, Tea Partier and Medicare defrauder Rick Scott canceled the Central Florida high speed rail link today.

Now, I have no personal interest in a high speed rail network, because I have no plans to visit Tampa, but by rejecting $2 billion in federal money for the rail network, Scott has fucked the state.

The rail line has been in the works for something like 20 years, and prior governors Crist, Bush and Chiles spent lots of money developing the idea.

All that money has already been appropriated, so it’s not as though the money is going to be saved. It’s already been appropriated for the purpose of building high speed rail networks, so it will probably end up going to California. Or South Dakota. Who knows?

He’s screwing over residents of his own state to poke Obama in the eye. What a douche.

Newly-elected GOP governor John Kasich did the same thing here in Ohio. Lovely.

Our Governor already axed the project and the grant for the Wisconsin one. I didn’t support it and knew no one that would tell you they did.

I didn’t mention those two because I don’t know if they’re long term projects or just something cooked up to take advantage of Obama’s rail plan. The Florida one was a long term project.

Well, of course! Everyone knows the only people who ride public transit are un-American left-wing communists! Real Americans buy the biggest fucking SUV they can find even if they have to bankrupt themselves doing it.

Sometimes I truly hate this country.

No, it’s a brilliant shot in the arm for new research. See, if enough states decline to participate in the rail system, they’ll be forced to develop phase space technology to skip those states, and keep the whole thing tied together.

Once that’s been accomplished, there’s no limit to where the technology can take the country!

Not really an excuse for one of the terrminuses of the system to opt out, but SOMEBODY has to demonstrate the political courage to start the ball rolling, and encourage other states to follow suit.

There was some talk starting up a little while back about a rail link here in Kentucky connecting Lexington, Frankfort, and Louisville. I think it’s a horrible idea, since all three cities have lousy public transportation (not even sure Frankfort has any) and the drive really isn’t that far or difficult. But I guess they’re trying to get in on the cash left behind by the Republican governors thumbing their noses at Obama.

Hot damn! We’re finally going to get those personal jet packs!

Was the High Speed Rail ever going to pay for itself?

It was already paid for.

If every other state also chucked 2 billion we would have a hundred billion to shove up a Communist Chinese banking committees bum.
Figuratively speaking, of course.

Florida is one of those states so afraid of its citizens that it basically refuses to tax them. One result of this is that the citizenry consists more and more of demographics that hate taxes,have no interest in funding public services like schools (usually, because their own children died decades ago), and, because they themselves generally depend on fiercely-defended, tax-generated funds for their own daily bread, has a skewed idea of what a functioning democratic society looks like. Another result of this fear is a strange political function: potentially controversial issues, that elsewhere would be posited, studied, debated and settled in a state legislature, here are regularly presented as constitutional referenda: this lets legislators off the hook while creating constitutional mandates for sweet-sounding services without any thought as to the practicalities.

The Florida Supertrain was such a constitutional mandate, some years ago. And sure, it’s a really stupid idea and a guaranteed money-loser even if it magically appeared in working condition tomorrow. But the state probably has some sort of obligation to follow through, given its abnegation of its own authority, in which case turning down $2 billion of federal money is kind of irresponsible.

And there’s the irony of Rick Scott, who had no problem taking millions in federal medicare funds, intended to heal and ease the suffering of the afflicted, and simply calling it “profit,” bolstering his tea-party credentials by refusing federal funds. He calls it a waste, and it is, but Republicans should know that money can trickle whether you hand it to billionaires in tax cuts or give it to welders and electricians in exchange for an honest day’s work.

Lame thread, lame rant.

Look, he put up his reasons publicly, and they’re good ones. The money is a poisoned gift: it demands more than it’s going to actually give. If the project isn’t good enough to be done, it’s not nearly good enough even with some extra dollars. You have to look beyond the obvious, RNATB.

Basically, I know liberals like the idea, but he points out that, no, it’s just not going to get a lot of riders and it’s not going to be, not simply a money-sink, but a huge and perpetual one.

Moreover, if there’s a problem, and they have to stop, they must repay the money. Which would be a fiscal nightmare. Given the state of things, starting new huge projects is a titanically bad idea.

Yes, I know a lot of people, particularly liberals, don’t comprehend that labeling stuff “stimulus” doesn’t actually help. Paul Krugman has built an editorial career out of this. But just throwing money around doesn’t help unless it’s actually useful, and right now the kind of borrowing and spending would be hugely dangerous, and the governor rightly shouldn’t do it.

Meh. I’m not an opponent of high speed rail, but it seemed like a not very well thought out idea, namely in that the cities that it was supposed to service don’t have very good public transportation systems.
Which is sort of the problem you run into with building high speed rail in many parts of the country: you still need some way to get around when you get to other end. What that means is that you either have to rent a car when you get to your destination (and hoping there’s a car rental at the station or within walking distance), or relying on a less than stellar public transportation system that may not even take you close to where you need to go. And let’s face it, public transportation in many places outside the northeast sucks balls.

Really? They had millions of paying passengers before it was every built? Amazing.

Nonsense: this is precisely the time to borrow and spend. It would not be a problem if we had a surplus built up during good times like we did under the evil liberals, but instead conservatives started two wars and cut taxes. Now we are stuck with a huge deficit and have less maneuvering room. But cutting government spending at this time is probably the worst thing that can possibly be done to the economy. And of course increased spending on projects that employ lots of labor, steel, concrete, trains, communications systems, etc is stimulative. How could it be otherwise? Whether or not this is the best possible thing that could be done with the money is debatable, but it is simply ludicrous to say that the project is not a stimulus. Sometimes I wonder where you people get such warped ideas.

At least California’s happy. :mad:

I’ll rephrase. Will whoever paid for it ever fully recover the money from the fees passengers will pay?

Do highways pay for themselves?

Federal Transit says (for all US light rails):
Cost per passenger mile: $2.22
Payment for passenger mile: $0.18
Taxpayer subsudy: $2.04
So, tickets pay for 8%.

In Phoenix, fares cover 2%.