Fluoridation cancelled in west Florida

Hm. I’ve been to Japan several times and always noticed that many people had bad-looking teeth. Interesting.

Did the 50 to 70 year old folks seem to have better teeth? IIRC that when you are growing your adult teeth whether the water is floridated or not has a big impact. Though I am sure continued exposure helps as well.

Can’t say I noticed it. Bad teeth on a teenager, 20-something, or 30-something seems more noticeable to me.

At least in the smaller cities and farm-towns, there is less of an emphasis on attractive-looking teeth. I am not aware of any connection to fluoridation or a lack of.

Fluoridation Opposition is Scientific, Respectable & Growing

New York – Oct 2011 – More than 3,790 professionals (including 324 dentists) urge that fluoridation be stopped citing scientific evidence that ingesting fluoride is ineffective at reducing tooth decay and has serious health risks. See statement: Fluoride Action Network | The New Professionals’ Statement

Eleven US EPA unions representing over 7000 environmental and public health professionals are calling for a moratorium on fluoridation. (b)

The CDC reports that 225 less communities adjusted for fluoride between 2006 and 2008. About 100 US and Canadian communities rejected fluoridation since 2008. In 2011 - Marcellus and Mt.Clemens, MI; Fairbanks, Alaska; Calgary, Alberta, Canada; Spring Hill & Hohenwald, TN; Philomath, OR; Pottstown, PA; College Station, TX and Spencer, Indiana; and Pinellas County, Florida have stopped fluoridation .

New York State communities which have already stopped or rejected fluoridation include: Naples, Elba, Levittown, Canton, Corning, Johnstown, Oneida, Carle Place, Rockland County, Suffolk County, Western Nassau County, Albany, Beacon, Poughkeepsie, Riverhead, Central Bridge Water District, Homer, Ithaca, Rouses Point and Amsterdam.

NYC Councilman Peter Vallone, Jr introduced legislation to stop fluoridation in New York City .

Since the professionals’ statement was first issued, the following new studies were published:

– The Centers for Disease Control reports that over 41% of 12-15 years olds are afflicted with dental fluorosis due to fluoride over-exposure.

– “The prolonged ingestion of fluoride may cause significant damage to health and particularly to the nervous system,” concludes a review of studies by researchers Valdez-Jimenez, et al. published in Neurologia (June 2011). The research team reports, “It is important to be aware of this serious problem and avoid the use of toothpaste and items that contain fluoride, particularly in children as they are more susceptible to the toxic effects of fluoride”

– Commonly-consumed infant fruit juices contain fluoride, some at levels higher than recommended for pubic water supplies, according to research was presented 3/17/2011 at the International Association for Dental Research annual meeting in San Diego (23)

– The 25th study linking fluoride to lowered IQ is published in the December 25, 2010 Journal of Hazardous Material

– Water fluoride chemicals boosts lead absorption in lab animals’ bones, teeth and blood, was reported by Sawan, et al. (Toxicology 2/2010). Earlier studies already show children’s blood-lead-levels are higher in fluoridated communities, reports Sawan’s research team.

– State University of New York researchers found more premature births in fluoridated than non-fluoridated upstate New York communities, according to a presentation made at the American Public Health Association’s annual meeting on November 9, 2009 in Philadelphia.

– Researchers reported in the Oct 6 2007 British Medical Journal that fluoridation never was proven safe or effective and may be unethical. (4)

– Scientific American editors wrote in January 2008, “Some recent studies suggest that over-consumption of fluoride can raise the risks of disorders affecting teeth, bones, the brain and the thyroid gland”

– A study in the Fall 2008 Journal of Public Health Dentistry reveals that cavity-free teeth have little to do with fluoride intake. Researchers report, “The benefits of fluoride are mostly topical…while fluorosis is clearly more dependent on fluoride intake.”

– Research published in Biological Trace Element Research (April 2009). indicates that blood fluoride levels were significantly higher in patients with osteosarcoma than in control groups. (13) Osteosarcoma, a rare bone cancer, occurs mostly in children and young adults

– All infant formula, whether concentrated or not, contain fluoride at levels that can discolor teeth - even organic, according to research published in the October 2009 Journal of the American Dental Association. (16)

– Fluoride avoidance reduced anemia in pregnant women, decreased pre-term births and enhanced babies birth-weight, concludes leading fluoride expert, AK Susheela and colleagues, in a study published in Current Science (May 2010). http://www.fluorideandfluorosis.com/Anemia/Current%20Science%20Reprint.pdf

The science showing fluoride’s adverse effects caused the following:

– Prominent Hispanic Civil Rights Organization (League of United Latin American Citizens) votes to oppose fluoridation as a civil rights violation. (July 2011) (25)

Water Fluoridation Injury Lawsuit Filed in Federal Court -

A 13-year-old’s fluoride-discolored teeth was allegedly caused by drinking fluoridated bottled water since infancy. Her Mom is suing the bottlers for the cost to cover up the unsightly teeth.

See:

– Because fluoride can disproportionately harm poor citizens and black families, Atlanta civil rights leaders, former UN Ambassador Andrew Young and Reverend Gerald Durley, PhD have asked Georgia legislators to repeal the state’s mandatory water fluoridation law, April 2011. (24) They have recently been joined by Martin Luther Kings’s daughters Bernice and Alveda

– HHS Assistant Secretary for Health, Dr. Howard Koh, says all infant formulas, either concentrated or ready-to-feed, already contain some fluoride and, when routinely mixed with fluoridated water, increase the risk of dental fluorosis (discolored teeth), in a video commentary published on Medscape.com, March 8, 2011

– The Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO fluoride supplementation and advises, that “If children brush their teeth twice daily, they do not need fluoridated bottled water.” Winter 2011

– A bipartisan group of Tennessee legislators urge the TN Health Department to stop promoting fluoridation. (Feb 14, 2011) (22)

– US Department of Health and Human Services recommends lowering water fluoride levels to stem to rising rates of dental fluorosis from all sources. (January 2011)

— The Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Water will lower safe water fluoride levels because of concerns that fluoride adversely affects bones and teeth. (January 2011)

– The Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Pesticides proposes to ban fumigant sulfuryl fluoride because of the concern of harmful levels of fluoride residues on foods such as cocoa beans. (Jan 2011)

– On April 12, 2010, Time magazine listed fluoride as one of the “Top Ten Common Household Toxins” and described fluoride as both “neurotoxic and potentially tumorigenic if swallowed.”

– The National Kidney Foundation dropped its fluoridation support replacing it with this caution: “Individuals with CKD [Chronic Kidney Disease] should be notified of the potential risk of fluoride exposure.” (3)

– Dr. A. K. Susheela, a leading fluoride expert, explains in a video why US physicians overlook fluoride as a possible cause of diseases commonly caused by fluoride. http://tinyurl.com/Susheela

– A Tennessee State legislator, Joey Hensley, who is also an MD is urging all Tennessee Water Districts to stop fluoridation, reported a Tennessee newspaper on 11/29/08. At least 30 Tennessee water districts have already complied with his request.(6)

— A video was created explaining the Bizarre origination of fluoridation chemicals. Brighteon

One out of three.

Professionals! I love it! This is of a piece with the nonsense anti-climate change groups pull when they are trying to make themselves sound better than they really are: 1,000 scientists against climate change! OK, 500 of them are dermatologists and 203 are engineers and 158 have JDs… Seriously, why are more than 90 percent of this group’s “professionals” from fields other than dentistry? Why am I supposed to care what lawyers and teachers and construction workers think about fluoridation? I’m a professional something (not a dentist or orthodontist or anything related to dentistry), does that counteract anything?

nyscof joined in 2005 to make an anti-fluoridation post, and his next post comes over 6 years later, on the same topic. Talk about a dedicated (?) one-trick pony.

Maybe he’s just very patient. I’m not expecting a reply either way.

Well, of course he did: NYSCOF.

I guess they want to keep their teeth rotten…

Hooray, this is my county. God damn tea baggers.

I’m not going to defend this. This is pure nonsense.

However, we cannot pretend that this attitude toward fluoridation is limited to “tea partiers.” Opposition to fluoridation is pretty strong in the environmental movement.

If we are to challenge this unfortunate misconception, we have to do it across the spectrum.

I can hear your teeth rotting down here in Lee Co.

I live in St. Petersburg so I dodged this bullet. I still don’t understand how, though.

That’s impressive. I can barely remember my password after a few months.

Calgary ditched fluoridation because some stranger whose problems I don’t care about didn’t like it. She’s the libertopian type, and argued that this is a “victory for choice” or something like that. I had two thoughts when I read that: she didn’t ask me, and we chose to fluoridate our water years ago. I didn’t see why I should be inconvenienced because some libertarian didn’t get her way, and I still don’t. Couple that with the fact that the current gang of idiots running this place not only didn’t bother to consult with medical experts on the matter, they turned down free expert advice on the matter, and one will understand why I’m starting to hate this place again. I sympathize entirely with the OP.

I may start a separate thread on this but seriously what the fuck is wrong with Florida?! Upon first seeing the title of this thread I read the first two words and automatically assumed it was going to be about Florida and lo and behold, of course it is. Anytime I hear about anything really fucked up I fully expect it to have something to do with Florida and almost every time it does. What the fuck is wrong with people there?!

I’ve given up - I write them all down now.

I assume you’re talking about Druh; she’s too busy railroading personal pet projects through city hall to do any homework, I guess, and all the idiots in her jurisdiction who keep electing her are as stupid as she is*. The sun will shine a bit brighter the day she retires from city politics.

*If there are any Dopers in her jurisdiction, please consider yourself excepted from my broad brush.

Okay. Florida was originally populated with a type of redneck called a “Florida Cracker” (there are also Georgia Crackers that are similiar but also a bit different being more inland based than coastal based).

Then, all these retired Yankees started moving down there to live (with a large fraction coming from the NYC area). And having nothing better to do in the oppressive heat they often get involved in politics (but senility is starting to take its toll so reasoning with an impaired hard headed Yankee with strong opinions is a lost cause). Note that Florida Crackers often ain’t nearly as educated or sophisticated as the Yankee imports but they do generally keep to themselves and don’t care about others business (unlike the Yankees).

But here’s where the real trouble comes in. The bored, lonely retired Yankees convince their offspring (who also have the same mindset but aren’t senile) to move down their because its “so great” (though its really because they are lonely). Then these offspring start mating with the Florida Crackers.

Now many folks think that genetically if you cross thing A with thing B you get something that combines the best of both worlds. Ain’t so, you usually get the WORST of both worlds. So you’ve got the uninformed and not interested in getting informed Crackers crossed with the buttheaded and interested in everybodies business Yankees and these horrible hybrids go on and get involved in politics.

Simple really.

That’s nothing compared to oxidane.