Fluoride in water

Is fluoride in water good for adults? I know that it is safe. But is it recommended that adults drink a couple cups each day. And are those who drink bottled water from springs missing out?

Kobolde, die sich mit rotheissen Schuereisen unter Aussenaborten verbergen.

Proponents of fluoridation are quick to tell you fluoride benefits adults as well, particularly the elderly. However, there are serious unresolved questions regarding the safety and benefits of water fluoridation.

Recent evidence suggests it is not particularly beneficial, and certainly not safe. Some studies have shown that, although fluoride does increase bone density, bone structure is compromised, reducing tensile strength. Tensile strength is necessary resist to bending fractures.

Search the web for “fluoridation” and you’ll find papers from the AMA documenting studies for both sides.

This debate has been raging for well over 50 years, and the naysayers continue to point to “scientific studies” that show flouridation of drinking water to be inneffective and/or harmful/carcinogenic, what have you. I don’t believe a word of that crap, and here’s why:

The thought that our state and local governments are deliberately, systematically poisoning the population is ludicrous. If the vast preponderance of scientific evidence did not support the findings of beneficence and efficacy of water flouridation, the practice would have been stopped 30 or 40 years ago. Sure, there are always those people who buy into the theory that government, either through malice or sheer stupidity is the enemy of the people, but those people are nutcases, in my opinion.

This topic is the “scientific” equivalent of the “moral” debate concerning abortion. Thank god more rational minds have prevailed in both.

Nickrz said:

Well, at least for now…

Anyway, if people are looking for some reading material, here is an article on the Quackwatch site: http://www.quackwatch.com/03HealthPromotion/fluoride.html (it also has some additional links at the end of the article).

“It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence.”
– William Kingdon Clifford