Flying Lawnmower Literally!

Probably the craziest thing I’ve seen in a while. You can cut the grass and trim the tree tops with the same mower!

:confused: :eek: :smiley: :o :smack: :cool: :rolleyes: :dubious: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused:
What the hell?

I mean, honestly, what in the goddamned hell?

Methinks someone had a model airplane and too much time to kill.

Some wacky b3tan made a flash movie setting that video to appropriate music.

Not too mention the haircut possibilities.

Back in the '70s, there was a brand of lawnmower called the Flymo, which rode on an air cushion – no wheels. I never tried one out, so I don’t know how well it worked (I would think it would tend to blow the grass flat so that the blade would pass over it), but this looks a tad more extreme…

Heh… one of the hobby shops I worked at had one hanging from the ceiling. They had a video of it actually flying (it was hung from the ceiling long before I got there) pretty surreal looking. Standard 2 stroke model engine and prop in front, airfoil shaped body and elevons in back.

The Flying Lawnmower was printed as plans in, I think, R/C Modeler in the 1970’s or 1980’s. I remember reading the issue when it came out. Mostly foam, it was a pretty clever little design.

I haven’t seen the flash movie (won’t load for me), so I don’t know if this is what you’re talking about.

I so want one of these.

I don’t know where you find this stuff Tuckerfan, but it’s the reason you’re in my top 5 of favorite Dopers.

Yeah, that’s it. Wouldn’t mind seeing the plans as I can’t make out from the clip where the control surfaces are.

Clearer photos of a similar design (and an e-mail link for more info) available here and here.

(I still can’t spot the control surfaces. Maybe under the foam housing? Is that plausible?)

I can spot a couple of the control surfaces in this image, but I don’t see anything like a tail stabilizer

Looks like the handle.