Foamy Coca-Cola

This has perplexed me for quite some time now:

Why is it that when you pour Coca-Cola (canned or bottled, not fountain) over ice that is “fresh from the freezer” (frosty), the soda foams up much more than when you pour it over ice which has been “pre-wetted” either by water or previous cola? (slippery)

Is is some Physics or Chemistry mystery, or is it something so simple I will be shamed into silence just for asking?!

It seems to me “pre-wetted” ice would have already gained heat from the water/coke previously than the “fresh” ice, meaning the fresh stuff is colder, meaning it cools the coke down more, meaning it foams more, I suppose.

I ain’t got no doctorate in the cola sciences, but if I remember correctly the extra fizz on fresh ice is because fresh ice has many more nucleation sites. Basically, more minute bumps and ridges that allow gas to collect amd escape. ‘Smooth’ ice has already melted down those nucleation sites and so less fizzing occurs. Watch a pot of water just before it boils. There are ramdom ridges of bubbles attached on the bottom of the pan. Same idea. Nucleation sites. Some of the the other science-types here can do better, but that’s the gist.

If you did, you’d be Dr. PepperJett.

:::D&R:::

C’mon, I know y’all were thinking it.

:::D&R again:::

Damnable coding.

Should have been:

D&R
D&R again

Jeez!

PepperJett nailed it. Shortest doctoral thesis I’ve ever seen…

That is just the type of phrase I was looking for!

and

that was a good one! :smiley:

Thanks

Now that I have my PhD. in soda-ology, you may call me “Professor Pepper”. Dr. is too sacherine.