Following the second wave (or not) in the US as the States open up

Then I guess it’s time to party. Enjoy your wading pools, may I recommend a nice conga line for afters?

A less snarky response would be to say it’s time for the millions of people who are losing their livelihood to go back to work based on the numbers.

A lot of businesses are never coming back and people need to rebuild their lives.

Since almost no one in Texas was being tested during the stay-at-home, it doesn’t seem surprising at all that the rates are going up.

The rates are going down.

Here are the number of deaths for the last 5 days
5/22 - 26
5/23 - 15
5/24 - 8
5/25 - 7
5/26 - 0 0 but end of day not available

Actually I was referring to the total number of cases diagnosed, not deaths. And diagnosed cases are continuing to go up, but it seems clear that this is because some people are now able to be tested. (Not everyone, regardless of what is being claimed, but some.)

Why would I say that? It’s not my opinion, nor is it correct.

'kay. Do not say you were not warned.

total number of cases diagnosed is always an upward number. The daily cases are fluctuating within limits. Not sure where the trend is on this but it’s not anything wild. There are some hot spots within Texas that are probably on an upward trend.

5/22 - 1109
5/23 - 869
5/24 - 681
5/25 - 527
5/26 -1051

OK, it’s not your opinion. but it’s still correct.

warned about what? what are you predicting will happen?

Never mind. Nothing will happen. In 15 days it will disappear like a miracle.

So, to some up your posts, something will happen, we’ve been warned. No specific prediction and no cites.

OK. In the mean time we’ll continue to look at the actual numbers and react as needed knowing nobody on the entire planet is expecting a miracle on June 10th or any other date.

Thanks.

Yes, I’ve been watching people react as needed.

If I had to take a guess at what the second wave will look like I would think it might be a long slow rolling wave with a much longer peak. Social distancing might be all we need to slow the spread enough for a controlled passing through of the virus. Protecting those vulnerable will take a huge load off of the hospitals and will smaller death numbers coming in possibly a lot of fear by the public will be alleviated allowing things to get back to normal much sooner.

Moderator Note

The Tooth, you appear to be interested more in giving snarky responses rather than contributing to the thread. What you are doing is verging on trolling. I’m instructing you to either make more substantive responses or stop posting in the thread.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

About what I’m expecting.

Two weeks after court scraps Safer at Home, Wisconsin sets record for new coronavirus cases and deaths in Madison365.com

I’m not sure what Wisconsin’s alternatives are at this point. I haven’t followed it closely enough to know if that includes all enforcement of social distancing as well.

Related article:

Wisconsin Business Owner Bans Wearing of Masks After Court Overturns Stay-At-Home Order

If you’re a 6’2" male with a delicate health situation, you’re out of luck going to that business.

Fauci says second wave of coronavirus infections is ‘not inevitable’: ‘We can prevent this’

I feel like there’s a divide between people who say a second wave is inevitable so why not just take your chances now and those that feel that people can prevent another spike with prevention measures. I think it’s better messaging to say that a second wave is not inevitable if people do the right things. That at least gives people some sense of control. Fauci is now saying that a second wave is not inevitable.

The inevitability approach gets this reaction.

Elgin bar owner bans customers from wearing masks inside

The owner of the bar had stage 4 cancer and says that there will be social distancing but no masks allowed. He says that if people are sick, they should stay home.

That’s fair to say that sick people should stay home, but more and more studies are showing that many people are asymptomatic and spreading the virus.

This is a little misleading, since Wisconsin, like a lot of states, has a clear weekend lag in reporting, and this was a three-day weekend. Of course there is going to be an apparent one-day spike on the first day people are back to work. If you look at graphs that show the seven-day rolling average of cases and deaths, cases are indeed on an upward trend, but deaths have been more or less flat for a month after peaking in April. (Sorry about the paywalled link, but the NYT’s state-by-state graphs are really good.)

Your link doesn’t work. Here’s thelink.

Even with a 3 day weekend, that spike is very noticeable. It’s higher than any other data point to date. It’s at 27 deaths on May 27 with the next highest day with 19 on April 28. Even with the lag, you’d expect to see the spikes on the seventh day. This spike is noticeably higher than the others.

As for cases, there was an a small peak in April, then cases flatlined for a bit with a larger peak in May, with another plateau and another increase recently.

With the increase in cases, one would expect to see an increase in death rates with a longer time lag. Still, that spike doesn’t bode well.

I am looking at the Washington Post’s charts by state, and they show 22 deaths on May 27. Since the state began reopening on April 27th, the 7-day moving average number of deaths has been steady at a little less than 10 per day.

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=hp_hp-top-table-main_web-gfx-death-tracker%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

My bad. You’re right. It was 22 deaths on May 27. I misread it.