Food allergies

I read an article that said 80 to 90 % of people have some sort of food allergy or intolerance. I recently discovered i have something called oral allergy syndrome. which basically means my body thinks raw tomato raw onion tree nuts and cinnamon are bad and makes me feel yuk for hours. My sister niece and mom are all allergic to nuts my mom and i are sensitive to dairy. How many people do you know with food allergies or intolerance issues

Lumping allergies in with intolerances really clouds the issue. They are two very different things. A “food intolerance” is an adverse food-induced reaction that does not involve the immune system. Food intolerance is rarely life or health-threatening. Lactose intolerance is one example of a food intolerance.

The term “food allergy” refers to adverse immunologic reactions to food. Food allergy is usually mediated by IgE antibody directed to specific food proteins. The primary target organs for food allergic reactions are the skin, the gastrointestinal tract and the respiratory system. Food allergies can be deadly.

It’s estimated that 6% of infants have genuine food allergies, while by adulthood, the overall rate drops to 3%.

8 foods cause 90% of all food allergy problems. In adults the most common causes are peanuts, tree nuts, fish, and shellfish. Less common in adults but also common in infants and children are milk, egg, soy, and wheat.

How do food allergies present?
Skin: Urticaria and angioedema
GI Tract: “GI anaphylaxis” and Oral Allergy Syndrome
Respiratory: Bronchospasm and rhinitis
Anaphylaxis: “a bad thing……”

I am somewhat lactose intolerant. It doesn’t bother me all the time, but it does happen. My husband and two sisters are the same. Other than that, I don’t know anyone that has extreme food allergies, like a peanut allergy.