Food "implicitly prohibited"

In Do Jewish and Islamic dietary laws have anything in common?, Dex notes several foods that Islamic laws prohibit implicitly but not explicitly, such as animals with claws and fangs, birds of prey, carrion-eaters, rodents and reptiles. I assume the Quran is the source here; what does it say? How was the conclusion reached that these foods are forbidden, if they’re not explicitly prohibited?

I did that one a long time ago, so I don’t remember details, but my guess is that it was interpretation and inference. I am familiar with Jewish tradition, where the Torah says “Not to boil a kid in its mother’s milk” three times; from which, learned rabbis argued that means not to eat any meat and milk products together, and to use separate plates and pots for meat and for dairy meals. So, that’s taken as implied rather than explicit. IIRC, similarly, different Muslim groups follow interpretations by various sages over the centuries. I do not remember (and I won’t have time to look it up) the precise statements that led to such interpretations.

Right- I always thought it was “funny” that the rabbinical prohibition included not mixing fowl and cheese. :smiley: :confused:

By “funny” I mean “odd, strange, interesting” not “ha-ha”. :smack:

There are several ahadith that state that Muhammad prohibited eating carnivores, bird of prey, etc.