Food Items that make no sense to you.

Didn’t one of the guests on Iron Chef make Chocolate Spaghetti once?

Ugh. My sympathies. A former girlfriend of mine got to me to taste one once. She was Chinese, and prepared many tasty Oriental dishes, but the salt plums were frickin’ vile.

mmmmmmPocky. Pocky is great. Why, though, are they always stuck together when I buy them?

those peanut butter slices lieu mentioned are actually peanut butter * and jelly [i/] i think. designed to help kids make their own sandwiches presumably. thanks again procter ang gamble (i think) who is also responsible for those weird ketchups (i know for sure).

Head cheese. Who eats that stuff? Eeewwwwwww.

Pickled pigs’ feet. Ditto on the head cheese.

Caffeine-free, sugar-free Mountain Dew. I thought the whole point of Dew was for the sugar and caffeine high, it sure as hell isn’t for the taste.

Non-alcoholic beer. I mean, if you can’t or don’t want to drink beer, then DON’T DRINK BEER. Why is there a need for fake beer?

FYI, in Canada, there’s no caffeine in Mountain Dew. I think there’s a law or something that only cola (or brown) soft drinks can contain caffeine. Not sure, though.

• s.e.

I knew this, don’t know the reason why either. IMO, removing caffeine from Mountain Dew also removes the reason to drink the stuff.

I accidentally bought a quart of that when I was digging in the back of the dairy case for a more futuristic fresh date and drank it for a week before I realized the coffee wasn’t rancid, it was the simulated milky cow piss product poisoning me. Ugh. Revolting.

I know a guy who works as a mechanical tech at a Kraft food plant. He said he’ll never eat anything that naturally has fat in it, i.e. cheese, nd has been processed into ‘fat-free’ or ‘lower fat’. The things that are done to the food are unspeakable.
Dave

The one that still makes my head hurt: Orville Redenbacher’s Roasted Corn Flavored Microwave Popcorn (artificially flavored).

Nothing says postmodern than food artificially flavored to taste like what it should taste like anyway.

Daniel

Speaking of popcorn… Popcorn Jelly Bellies.

Puke-o-rama!

Dill pickles on burgers. An informal poll of my friends yielded 20 against, and 3 for putting pickles on burgers - and yet, all the chains do it, unless you request that they don’t.

I opened this thread with those peanut butter slices in mind. They’re kept next to the individually wrapped cheese slices at the grocery store I frequent. As near as I can tell, there’s no jelly involved (though I’m sure food engineers at whatever company produced this gross item are hard at work at it). The phrase “unwrapping a slice of peanut butter” is just bizarre. How can this possibly improve on the spread-on variety?

I’ve had the peanut butter with jelly already mixed in. It wasn’t even good enough for me to finish the jar.

Last time I was at the grocery store, I realized there were packages of small peanut butter and jelly sandwiches next to the Lunchables. They’re smaller than regular sandwiches. Though I suppose it’s possible there are parents too harried to put peanut butter on bread for their kids, but I find it hard to fathom. Then again, my mom always let me make my own lunch.

::checks fridge::
yep, purple ketchup, blue Parkay margarine, both about half gone.
::checks bedrooms::
yep, two kids.
::shrugs shoulders::
Hey, I’m not the one eating it. :stuck_out_tongue:

JFTR, the purple ketchup is a rather attractive shade. My son likes it with a cut-up hot dog for dipping.
The blue margarine is absolutely revolting-looking melted on toast, which is how my son likes it. :barfing smilie:

More testicles means more iron.

BTW, I love the popcorn Jelly Bellies. The licorice and root beer kind, on the other hand…

What’s Pocky?

Cheese crackers with peanut butter.

Meatless meats bug me. Anyone tried “Tofurkey”? It’s tofu, made up to look like a turkey. they even give it dimples to simulate the skin. And it’s got some sort of vegetable wishbone in it as well. If you’re going to go that far to make non-meat look like meat, JUST EAT THE FUCKING MEAT!!!

Vegetarian corndogs? It’s cornbread on a stick. vegetarian hotdogs? I admit real hotdogs aren’t much meat, but still. Vegie burgers? Okay, this one I can let go. Veggie chicken nuggets? Just come on people. Quit trying to fake it. The animal’s already dead, if you don’t eat it, you’re making it’s death fruitless, and you’re just fooling yourself by eating “not”-meat. Why pretend to be a vegitarian yet make it so blatantly obvious you really just want to bite the head off of some small furry little animal like the rest of us?