Food Items that make no sense to you.

IMO, saurkraut(sp?) is the most vile looking/smelling/tasting substance in existence, ever. I mean, I wouldn’t even know what it tastes like, except that my dad was one of those “try it at least once” kinda guys. How anyone can even get past the awful smell is beyond me, not to mention enjoy the flavor. Makes me wanna puke just thinking about it! shudders Ugh!

It’s a Japanese product. They’re simply biscuit/cracker sticks covered with chocolate. I have no idea why they have acquired such a cult status though, perhaps because it comes in so many different (and strange) flavors. My favorite is the “Men’s Pocky” (dark chocolate).

Arken, were those salted plums labeled as “snacks” and individually wrapped in plastic? That’s a modern invention - I hate those. The real salted plums are sold in the pickled vegetable section and taste much better, IMHO. They still have a huge amount of salt, but if you just take a tiny bit and eat it with plenty of steamed rice it’s rather good.

ONE WORD - SPAM! :eek:

and WTF is up with SPAM-LITE? :confused:

IMHO, some of those plums–the dried ones with licorice in them–are best used in making a salty plum lemonade. Here’s how you make the stuff:

Put the plums in a pot. Cover them with water. (I live in an area where the local water has distinct “flavor crystals,” so I use filtered or otherwise purified water in all steps of this recipe. The quality of the water you use in making salty plum lemonade has a pretty big effect on the tastiness of the final product.) Simmer the plums for a while; the plums should be starting to fall apart by the time you take the plums and water off the burner. Let the water extract and plums cool. Add a bit of the cooled extract and one semi-disintegrated plum to a tall glass. Fill the glass with water and add some lemon juice. Voila. Salty plum lemonade.

This is my absolute favorite summertime drink.

If you’re in a hurry and don’t have the time or energy to simmer the plums (or if the idea of working with any kind of artificially generated heat in mid-August seems totally insane), you can make a drink that’s not quite as good, but that’s still not too bad:

Put one salty plum in the bottom of a tall glass. Add some lemon juice. Swirl the plum in the lemon juice for a second or two. Fill the glass the rest of the way with cold water. Stir.

In a thread a few weeks back, someone mentioned ‘Cheese in a Can’.

Can somebody PLEASE enlighten me about what the hell this is? Why would you want your ‘cheese’ to come out of an aerosol can for goodness sakes?

1. Mushrooms… they are fungus.

2. Dairy products in general… stop and think closely, these are freaking animal secretions…

I eat both, but they make no sense

Damn, I forgot one… salted licorice (I forget what it is usually called, but this is a Dutch confectionary, and it comes in degrees of saltiness…)

[Evil Austrian]INFIDEL! SAURKRAUT IS THE WAY DEITIES EAT GREEN VEGETABLES![/Evil Austrian]

I love the stuff. I like that it’s sour, that it tastes great plain, and that it goes well with liverwurst and braunschwager, especially with dark, rich, flavorful brown mustard and thick pieces of onion on black rye bread or pumpernickel.

Or just spread braunschwager on a thick slice of onion and you’re set. No bread required. Keep mustard around for dipping/spreading.

:smiley:

(Austrian ancestry? Howdja guess? I guess being introduced to spreadable liver and pickled vegetables at a young age means you will always love them.)

Food that makes no sense to me: Peanut butter. God. There has got to be a better way to get fat and protein. Maybe in a way that doesn’t make my stomach turn, perhaps? The very scent of peanut butter makes my gut wish it could relocate to Sibera, far, far away from anything remotely like peanut butter.

I have to give it raw onions and liver to calm it.

:smiley:

(I actually like most things, even though I have a low tolerance for spice and an aversion to peanut butter. I enjoy Asian food of all types (I have a love of sushi and Indian cuisine), any European food (emphasis on Central European, although the British have good ideas), and probably almost anything regularly eaten in the Americas. I regret I’ve never had the chance to taste African food, especially the roast insects popular in some regions.)

We used to have these in our vending machines at work. They replaced them with cheese crackers with cheese spread. That truly makes no sense.

kambuckta, here is an official cheese in a can website for you and some info from the BBC.

The stuff is very weird. We used to take it hunting due to its ‘no refrigeration required’ abilities… :eek:

Lots of stuff from Chinese supermarkets. Instant coffee filter packets with non-dairy creamer and sugar included? Ground mudfish? Chicken feet? Aagh. I don’t understand caviar either, but then, I hate fish.
Yes, Mountain Dew has no caffeine in Canada. Yes, i don’t know what the point is to drinking it either.

It’s not exactly food, but I found it in one of the aforementioned Chinese grocery stores for $.89 It’s called Beverage of Lohankuo. Here’s some of what it’s supposed to do. I am not making this up. I am also not making up the spelling or grammar.

TO sleek sexual oragans,recuperate the lungs,stop coughing, remove sputum,andIt is ofthen used to treat cases such as lung heat,drg dough,sore throat and aphonia ect.
It removes rheumatism and is diuretic,principal cure for for all kinds of carbuncle,furuncle and cutaneous abscess. Constant driking will prevent and remove pimples. Good for too much smoking, wine ank restlessness…

I think this is one of my favourite bad translations.

I have issues with eating any internal organs. I can’t imagine why anyone would want tripe; it’s intestine for God’s sake. I was shocked when I saw that my local grocery store was selling cow brains. I think I’m going to be sick.

If you’re looking for bad translations of Japanese foods, go to www.engrish.com. They have pictures of Pocky there too.

I love mushrooms; haven’t had one I didn’t like yet.

I also like those cheese crackers with cheese, cheese crackers with peanut butter, and plain crackers with peanut butter.

I agree with the internal organ thing. Especially kidneys. Bleh. The SO made me try chicken livers one time and I almost gagged they were so powdery and dry. Of course, I’m not a heavy meat eater to begin with. I don’t even like the texture of steaks any more.

I thought tripe was the stomach lining, not intestines?

scr4, the salted plum snacks were not individually wrapped, but they were all in a little plastic package with all the other snack foods in the market.

They’re still there in a huge pile, nobody’s touched them. They’re next to these GIGANTIC cookies (like 18 inches across) which are inexplicably called ‘Korean Tea Cookies’.

Now why they keep stocking these but no longer stock my favourite asian treat of Konnyaku Jelly I’ll never know.

I’m surprised no one mentioned Circus Peanuts yet? (I’ve actually never had these).

The Spark’s Stinky Meat Project Part Two mentioned something called Potted Meat Product. It looked like dog food.

Buttermilk. Yuck. My dad drinks this stuff all the time. WHY? I can understand using it for recipes, but drinking it? EW!!!

Okay, now wait a minute! I have eaten potted meat–it’s not bad!

And I happen to LOVE circus peanuts!

my friend uses fat-free italian dressing. a decent concept, but italian dressing is basically vinegar and oil, and oil is basically pure fat. fat-free italian dressing has no oil in it! why not just buy a bottle of vinegar?

Exactly! I want to EAT! I don’t want to look at food!

Theres no kraut in my cultural background but I have developed a the taste for it. I use to only like it on the traditional loaded dog but have since found it savory with pork. Dump a couple of cans in the crock pot with an onion and some chops or a tenderloin and voila!

Nope. Spoiled = rotten. Sour = fermented. Not even close.

Hey! My healthy, strapping 6 foot son spent his first year of life dining on my freaking animal secretions!