Foods that are good if you don't confuse them with good food

Taco Bell is awesome. Period.

I actually had a debate about this subject with a friend of mine some years back. There’s a fast-casual Tex-Mex chain called Taco Cabana here in Texas, and for what it is, it’s pretty good.

My buddy, who is from Iowa and didn’t have a lot of Tex-Mex experience opined that it was awful. Which was interesting- he’ll eat Taco Bell or higher-end Tex-Mex food with gusto, so I was baffled.

When we started discussing it, it turned out that in my mind, Taco Bell was what I was judging Taco Cabana against- both are fast, cheap, have drive-through windows and are eaten late at night as drunk food. By that metric, Taco Cabana is awesome.

Buddy was comparing it to sit-down places under the theory that they have dishes like enchiladas, fajitas and beans and rice that you typically get on some kind of combination plate along with a couple of tortillas, and that they serve alcohol. By that metric, he’s right and Taco Cabana doesn’t quite stack up (although their fajitas themselves DO stack up well to most places).

It’s all in how you frame it in your mind- that’s how I can drink cheap American beer and enjoy it- I just don’t really consider it “beer” in the same sense as most craft/micro brews. It’s something else with the same name that’s very vaguely in the same style.

Since Mrs. 74westy is gluten free, I’ll mention lots of gluten free desserts. If you think of them as cake or anything like that, they’re terrible but if you think of them as a lump of sweet stuff, not bad.

This. I don’t care for most cheap beers, but I still like Busch beer. To me, it’s got a very mildly sweet corn flavor that offsets or even complements the bitter hop, without being overly sweet, like most modern hard ciders/sodas/lemonades/etc.

I’m not a beer snob; there are plenty of good mass-produced beers, even if they can’t compete, taste/quality-wise, with some truly exquisite craft/micros. But I don’t feel like scouring every micro-brew in my city, county, state, or region to find that one special beer, and drink it to the exclusion of all others.

Especially if I have to drive some distance to one specific place to get that one specific beer; I can hit the local grocery store on the way home from work for “good enough.”

Almost anything hot at a buffet that’s been sitting out for more than 10-15 minutes. Don’t get me wrong, as I’ve stated in another thread, I’ve had some really good food at buffets, but if it’s hot and sitting out for more than 10-15 minutes or so, it’s either gotten a bit cold on top and/or a bit overcooked on the bottom. Sliced to order foods like beef roast and ham which are kept under heat lamps are the possible exception as long as the turnover is high enough.

I’ve read the judges on some of the cooking shows are able to judge the taste of the food even though it’s gone cold because of the time required to setup the shots and get their comments. Notice steam is rarely ever seen coming from the food served to them. The exception are cooking demos where they eat the food hot out of the pan, pot or oven.

I’ve talked to people who have long heard the legend of In-N-Out Burger, and when they finally make their way to California (or one of the few other states that has 'em), they are a little disappointed. I’m convinced that’s because it’s been built up in their minds for so long, and they’re comparing it to the best restaurant burger they’ve ever had. But you have to compare it other burgers in its category and price range. Sure, if you compare them to a really good, gourmet $14.00 restaurant burger, it’s going to be a let-down. But compared to other fast food restaurants, where you’re paying a similar few bucks for a quick burger? They’re head and shoulders better.

Yes! Everything else Budweiser makes is total crap, but Busch just hits the right notes for a lawnmower/looking at the lawnmower/thinking about buying a lawnmower beer.

Hershey chocolate. Bars, syrup, cocoa, all of it. I know it’s not fancy-schmancy expensive chocolate. I don’t care. It’s a taste I can trust. It works for me.

It’s amazing what you can do with a stick of butter and a cup of sugar, both of which are gluten-free.

That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title. I love Taco Bell, but from time to time someone well say ‘Why, it’s not even real Mexican food’…“I know, it’s Taco Bell”.
For being a drive through taco place, it’s pretty good.

I’ve made homemade baked beans many times, in authentic Maine bean pots, and have NEVER determined them to be any better than canned beans.

I like Long John Silver’s, once in a while. The one in my town burned a couple years ago, and it just reopened a few months ago.

Cheap instant coffee.

Compared to actual coffee, it’s crap, but if you ignore the fact that it’s supposed to be coffee, and take it as a different drink, it’s OK.

Don’t worry–they’re not going to start a war over it. They don’t capitalize that adjective themselves, anyway.

Single serve frozen burritos - not great food by any measure, but when I come home on a cold night, chilled through, one of these, topped with some roasted green chili sauce, warms a body up nicely.

Ring baloney - made from parts of the pig I would never care to know, it is still yummy sliced, on a cracker, with a slice of hard cheddar and some good pickles.

In addition to Taco Bell, pretty much any ethnic food. Panda Express is pretty good, as long as you don’t think you’re eating real Chinese. And for all of the hate that Olive Garden gets, it’s satisfying in a comfortable sort of way.

This is killing me! I used to work next door to a Taco Cabana, and damn, do it miss that stuff! :smack:

I first had Taco Bell in the early-mid 70’s and it was completely different (more authentic?) back then.

Not only is Panda Express not authentic, but it has dishes from different regions of China that would never be served together at home or a restaurant. Still good for what it is though!

Sheldon Cooper: Then it’s not chili. Real chili has no beans in it, but you’re from a foreign land, so your ignorance is forgiven.

Priya: [Sheldon tries some of Priya’s chili]

Sheldon Cooper: Mmmm, this is good… whatever it is.

• Big Bang Theory

Usually found at restaurants that don’t, you know, actually have corned beef anywhere else on the menu. :wink: