Foods You Hated Then & Love Now

I hated…

…pork chops until I had my mother-in-law’s. They’re deep-fried. Go figure.

…green beans until I had my mother-in-law’s. They’re smothered in bacon bits and butter. Again, go figure.

…salmon until I had T.G.I. Friday’s Jack Daniel’s basted. Then my mom brought us some fresh Alaskan and sealed the deal.

…bleu cheese dressing on anything but hot wings until this weekend. They accidentally brought me bleu cheese instead of ranch on my salad and I LOVE IT!

Sadly, the only healthy thing that I love now and hated then is the salmon.

::sigh::

How about you guys?

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, dogs are from Pluto.

I hated

…potato salad until I had my mother-in-law’s.

I used to hate practically any vegetable except onions and potatoes. Lettuce used to actually taste a little bitter to me.

Now I love carrots (cooked), lettuce, brocolle (love it, but can’t spell it), green beans, and corn, among others.

Strangely enough, I used to love eggs. Now I can’t stand 'em. Even the smell make me fill a little ill.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Well,I never had broccolli as a youngster.I tried it in my 20’s and I love it. Used to hate orange juice,but not now!

Boiled cabbage. Couldn’t stand the stuff. It would drive me out of the house. Now I love it.

Bleu Cheese dressing. It smelled so bad! But my wife turned me on to it.

Yoghurt. Hated it until I had to buy my own food and wanted a cheap nourishing snack. I still can’t eat it plain but I love the fruity kind.

“Vandelay!! Say Vandelay!!”

Wanted so desparately to like yougart (looks so creamy and yummy) but every time I tasted it I always hated it.

Then I had my wisdom teeth removed and couldn’t eat anything else. Now I just love the stuff.

Go figure.

I have come to like broccoli and carrots (cooked, not raw). It also helps if they are covered in some sort of sauce or cut up into very small pieces.

I was a picky eater as a kid and am still a picky eater today.

“Love given when it is inconvenient is the greatest love of all. Kindnesses that are shared at a high cost to oneself are the most dear.”

Don’t know who said it, but I like it.

Tomatoes and tomato sauce. I couldn’t stand them as a kid because of the acid; I think your taste buds get less sensitive as you grow older.

Leftovers in general. In my younger days, I hated the refrigerator taste … but that was back when I didn’t have to do all the cooking myself.

Chicken and turkey (dark meat).

Guacamole.

“The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.”

• Bill Watterson

I never liked tomatoes as a child, now I love them.

I also never liked root beer very much, now it’s virtually the only soft drink I ever drink.

God is dead. -Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead. -God
Neitzsche is God. -Dead

Broccoli.
Asparagus.
Mushrooms (especially portabellas).

It wasn’t just a matter of being very picky (which I certainly was) - but I’d almost puke if I tasted any of the 3. Now, I love 'em all (even if they’re all put together!). Tastebuds change as you get older.

I hated liver as a kid… my mom always made us kids bacon instead… now… I love liver!!!

“Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.”

Getting a little off topic here for a minute, but I have a humorous story involving liver.

The first time my parents served us liver (I was probably only six or seven at the time), none of us had ever seen or tasted liver before. My father looked us straight in the eye and said “it’s buffalo meat…eat it, it’s good”. This went on about once a week for a couple of months. Mind you, I really didn’t like it, but it was better than doing without (stepmom was big on “if you don’t eat this, you won’t eat for the rest of the night”). Fast forward a couple of months. We are all sitting at the table eating this stuff, when I pipe up “my teacher told me at school that buffaloes (sp?) are an endangered species” or something to that effect. My parents got real quiet for about a minute, then quietly admitted that it was actually liver. The collective gasp of shock from all four kids, followed by the mad dash to the bathroom to vomit, all of the kids punching and kicking each other out of the way to get there first, is a memory that is still vivid in my mind to this day.

Okay, back on topic. I hated all vegetables as a kid (what kid doesn’t?), but now I’ll eat most of them, except for okra, spinach or cabbage. I love broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, peas, carrots, etc.

Shadowfox
“Most people would succeed in small things, if they were not troubled with
great ambitions.”

• Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

As as kid I hated cheese. I would even take it off of pizza. But now, it is probably among my favorite foods. YUM! It gave me 50 lbs more to love. :wink:

HUGS!
Sqrl

Gasoline: As an accompaniement to cereal it made a refreshing change. Glen Baxter

mushrooms
onions
I wouldn’t even try shellfish…like shrimp and crab…now I love it.
gouda cheese…it just didn’t look right to me

–Gail
“Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place.” --John Cleese

Lima Beans
Tuna Fish

When I was a kid I liked boiled eggs and hated fried eggs. Now it’s the other way around.

I used to think that I was allergic to onion rings (just onion rings, not any other form of onion) and would risk death if I ate them.
Now I can’t get enough.

I’ve also developed a fondness for dark chocolate which I hated as a child. Although, now that I think of it, I don’t think I actually ever got the chance to taste it when I was a kid, since the only time I got it was at Halloween (those Hershey Special Dark bars) and my father would promptly “relieve” me of them.

Like NTG, I hated tomatoes as a kid; would pick them out of salads, etc. Though that only applied to raw tomatoes. I think it was because all I ever had were those pink, mealy grocery store kinds. Tomato sauce, ketchup, etc. were fine.

As soon as I tried a real, warm from the sun vine grown tomatoe I was hooked. Now I adore the things. But I still pick out those feeble pink pseudo-tomatoe chunks.

Veb

Really smelly cheeses.

Olives. but not those crappy ones you get in a can, which i still don’t care for. Rich, flavorful, intense Kalmata olives. Yum.