Foods you love that are just too much trouble to make.

Momos. Kind of like pierogi, i guess, but Tibetan. I’ve never actually made them, but knowing how much I love them, my wife has. Took her all day.

Maybe one day, when the house needs no work, when the garden is all in order, when the kids have moved out…maybe.

Beef wellington. I love the finished product but it is a pain to make.

I made cashew chicken once. It was really tasty but it was like a chemistry project and for all the money I paid for the ingredients (much of which I don’t think I ever used again) I could have ordered out a full round of entrees.

For lasagna I use penne or ziti and mix it up in bowl with sauce, meat, and cottage cheese, make a layer, lay on some sliced mozzarella, make another layer, top it off with sauce and mozzarella slices on top. Relatively easy, if a little overly cheesy.

Toast. Should probably buy a toaster.

Anything deep-fried.

Also, my own tortillas.

That’s what I was going to say. The frozen kind just can’t compare. But we only have them on Christmas Eve. (MAYBE Easter). And it’s at LEAST a two-man operation.

But when we do make them, fortunately the recipe yields quite a batch, so they last a long time. :slight_smile:

Every year for the past 3 years I’ve pretended to myself that I might make pasteles for the holidays. This year I’m not even pretending since I have a few hand made gifts that’ll be taking up all of my free time, thankyouverymuch.

The thing is, you used to be able to buy them from grandmas who made a quick buck for gifts by selling them for a buck a bundle. But the grandmas have been dwindling in numbers, which is why I keep fooling myself into thinking I might make them myself.

You should look into microwave toast (“Take the drudgery out of making toast!”).

Costco carries a version of this that uses raviolis stuffed with Italian sausage. Yummy!

I’m surprised by the number of votes for lasagne on here. Not exactly the level of, say, a can of soup in the microwave, sure, but I’d never have thought of it as being too much trouble.

Wonder what I’m missing out from my lasagne now…

Same here. I just made lasagna today, came out great! Prep time (basically, everything except the time in the oven) was maybe 45 minutes, and that’ll be dinner for multiple days here. I suppose if you go all out with your meat/veg it can get complicated, but mine was pretty much ground turkey and onions.

My answer to the thread topic would be jiaozi. I love me some jiaozi, especially with Zhenjiang vinegar and Lao Gan Ma, but they’re a tedious PITA to make, and it doesn’t scale well. Also, I’m bad at it (my jiaozi always end up lumpy and deformed, while my wife’s and my in-laws’ look quite pretty and attractive). However, I will eat just about any number of the things that you can throw at me, especially if they’re made by my mother-in-law.

I only ever make things to eat that take less than ten minutes to prep.

Pot stickers, egg rolls, spring rolls.

Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Post stickers! Right out of Chinese cooking class I made a batch from scratch - including making the ‘skin’. It was painstakingly intense - never made them again.

Oh, and these Little Drumsticks where you scrape the wing meat down and inside-out, dredge them through egg then flour and deep fry. I made bunches and they were eaten by my guests as fast as I could fry them. I almost didn’t get any for myself.
Hey! I just found the recipes from the class I took in 1982 - they were smart and had us seal them in plastic. They don’t look that difficult, maybe I will try them again now that I do not have a crowd of slavering guests around.

Actually, the dish whence comes my name is famously difficult to get right, so people buy frozen ones, but I’ve never understood that. Homemade, they’re pretty much impossible to screw up, in my experience.

Once in the mid-eighties, the crew of my submarine were having a pot luck lunch pier side, I brought an electric fry pot and an extension cord (along with several quarts of vegetable oil and ingredients), and spent most of the time making fresh pork wontons.

I haven’t made wontons since.

My husbands family has roots in Norway and the family recipe for lefse has been passed down to us. The recipe isn’t very hard and doesn’t have any particularly exotic ingredients. However, the process to make it is very involved and, in our experience, messy af. I was finding bits of flour a full week later.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely adore Pasta Con le Sarde. I used to eat it once a year, at our friend Warren’s Italian restaurant in St Martin. Last year Warren retired. :frowning:

German Chocolate cake. It seems like commercial varieties are always made with dark chocolate cake which is SO WRONG. I am going to have to make it myself again one of these days, I do love it.

Fried Chicken. I tried once and despite my best efforts, the coating came off in the pan and burned, and the chicken was not cooked enough. There’s a reason why there are fried chicken restaurants everywhere. Also, pizza places. (all my pizzas have been disappointing, no matter how I tried.)

Oddly, we make a huge tray of baklava every Christmas, and it’s not at all difficult IMO. We’ve made it for years, all you do is layer and pour hot liquid over and bake. The hardest part is cutting neat little triangles and putting them into cupcake liners for presentation.

I’ve made potstickers for years using eggroll wrappers for skins, and a little turnover crimper to seal. Then I freeze on wax paper on a tray (not letting them touch, very important!). Now, I pick up a little bag or two from the freezer section of, of all places, the Dollar Tree. They are scrumptious!