Football Is Back!

Oh, is it the NFL preseason? Guess it’s time to pat the Giants fans on the head again. How’d those predictions work out last year, fellas?

Madden has a new feature this year: when you hit the “hurry up” button, your team slows down and the QB barfs in the huddle. Weird.

To answer directly, my prediction was humming along nicely until the number of IR guys hit the teens.

If my Falcons can keep it together long enough to get Roddy White working with the team, I can almost dare to hope that we’ll not totally suck this year. We were #1 in rushing yards last year (Vick’s 902 on the ground didn’t hurt), but #30 in passing.

By all reports, Vick has been improving in the off-season, getting more comfortable with the West Coast offense. I’m just praying he can show some maturity and leadership; he’s exciting as hell to watch, but he makes me very, very nervous. I’d almost rather have a QB with a great arm and no legs, but then again we were one game from the Super Bowl last year; it’s hard for me to argue too much with that.

The keys:

1. Vick gets his arm under control, gets his head around the offense they’re running (which I hear is mightily complex), and ups his completions to maybe 65%.

2. Roddy White fits in, catches what’s thrown his way, and–I can only hope–puts a scare into Peerless Price, who finally realizes that he’s actually supposed to be catching footballs and scoring touchdowns out there.

3. Matt Schaub. I have a strong suspicion that our backup QB is going to see some minutes on the field this year, and honestly I don’t feel too bad about that. Schaub learned the West Coast offense in college, and he’s a big guy–6’5" and about 230. He doesn’t exactly shoot laserbeams out of his biceps, but he’s a tight, accurate passer at short range, and I suspect he’ll eventually be the type of QB who can march a team consistently downfield, six or eight yards at a time.

Sigh. Who am I kidding? The Falcons have gone 39 years without ever having two consecutive seasons over .500. This is the longest streak in pro football, baseball, basketball, or hockey (The Cleveland Indians are second, at 35 years.) Last season was good–no, it was great–so it’s time for us to go back under the bridge for a few years.

Still, what if…?

Well, let’s hop into the Wayback Machine and take a look at last year’s predictions thread.

The Giants: “…a 7-9 season is a likely top finish for the season…” Off by one.

The Dolphins: “Bye-bye Ricky, bye-bye Boston, bye-bye playoff spot that I thought they would be a lock for.” Dead on.

The 49ers: “Let’s put it this way: The 49ers will have a terrific draft day next year…I’m going to call them 3-13…” Off by one.

The Scumbirds: “While we’re on that subject, let me just go on record – T.O. with the Eagles: biggest bust of the year. His final numbers will be a joke.” Ah well…Two outta three ain’t bad. :slight_smile:

Nice. Reading that reminds me of the hilarious commercial that aired toward the end of last season. The opening title says, “Four months ago.” Then we’re treated to a series of vignettes showing people at the beginning of the season making predictions.

Miami dude: “There’s only one thing on Ricky Williams’s mind… and that’s winning football games.”

Pittsburgh dude: “What’s the name of that new QB we picked up? Rothlis-something? Sheesh; nice pick, Cowher.”

And so on. Great ad.

Cripes…what’s worse – making a gaffe like that, or missing it in a half-dozen re-reads?

“…Three outta four…”

First of all, great write-ups guys. Secondly, thanks for your kind words, Ellis Dee. I’d like to address a few things in your post.

While I might be selling Fiedler short, I stand by my statement. I have pretty high hopes for this squad. If Chad’s shoulder isn’t close to healthy (he’s sitting out this Friday’s pre-season opener, BTW) I don’t see Fiedler getting us far into the playoffs…or even into the playoffs. I’ll bet you a dollar that there will be no QB controversy in Jet-land this season, even if Fiedler goes 3-0 in his 3 week stint. Also, it’s debatable how much better he is than Carter (Drug problems not withstanding.)

I think you are selling Blaylock short. He did quite well in his relief role in KC (in 2004 4.6 avg yards per carry, 118 atts, 8 TDs) and while I think Jordan could be pretty good, I feel like he always got more credit than he deserved. Remember that Monday night game he racked up like 200 yards vs. the Dolphins in the second half? Miami couldn’t wait to go home that night—that defense quit, and that skews his stats quite a bit. Don’t get me wrong…I’d rather have Jordan, but you knew he wanted to start, and I’d rather have Curtis Martin starting.

Yeah…I’m ordering my Vilma Jersey today. :smiley:

I forgot about Pete Hunter…you have a good point on this guy (he’s 25 btw), he was pretty good. I hope he’s fully recovered. As for Coleman, I have to give you props. I’m thinking that he’s no Ed Reed or Rodney Harrison, but in 2004, he was pretty close. So…great! Erik Coleman, if he improves on last year’s performance, is among the top safeties in the league. This defense is going to rock.

I’m with you on your delusion even if I don’t have season tickets anymore. I’ll add a me too to 1. I think 3,4&5 are a good bet if they do 2.

Playoffs are really possible. Last year they had the best special teams in the league and the #2 rated defense.

With Willis McGahee starting all season, and if Lee Evans takes some of the coverage off of Eric Moulds they could put up some pretty good numbers.

I dare not speak of #12 either. Excuse me while I sacrifice a goat in ritual for even entertaining a brief thougt of that fantasy.

Fair enough, Fiedler realisticly could go either way. As for Blaylock, wow, I didn’t realize his average was so good. I am duly encouraged.

How funny is this. Less than 24 hours after I posted, the Jets released him. I don’t think it was a good move at all. Let’s review the Jets’ CB position since the end of last season:

Donnie Abraham retires
Justin Miller Drafted
Pete Hunter acquired in trade from Dallas
Ty Law signed as a free agent
Ray Mickens waived to make room for Ty Law
Pete Hunter waived for what reason again?
Brandon Haw signed. (Camp fodder who has never risen above practice squad.)
Roosevelt Williams signed. (Less experience and less impressive stats than Hunter.)

Is there a salary cap issue that I’m unaware of? Because the sum total of the above moves ain’t so hot. Miller is clearly not a starter his rookie year. The Jets have two choices for the guy covering split end: Derrick Strait and David Barrett. I’m a little hazy on these two. Are either of them good enough to handle getting picked on all season? (Ty Law may not see very many passes.)

Well, this is the time to believe. When November rolls around, maybe not so much.

I’d just like to take a moment to throw in this Giants fan’s $0.02 on the Terrell Owens situation:

You go, T.O.! Fight the power! Don’t back down…you know you the man and the Eagles need you! You spend this next week sitting home; drawing up plans of how you’ll spend that fat, fat guaranteed money you’ll be getting when they re-do your contract! Don’t ever let 'em get’cha down!

Ahh, the ever changing world of NFL training camps…

It looks like Hunter was released for this guy. I don’t know anything about him, other than apparently Hunter beat him out for the spot last year. Perhaps Miller is going to see more playing time than I originally thought.

Is that guy’s name really Atari? That’s fantastic!

I love that T.O. seems to be hanging on a vine out in Philly. It seems that he’ll just come out and blame his agent sooner or later. I hope for the unhappiest ending possible for T.O. in this saga.

As a Ravens fan, I’d like to echo this. Just replace “Eagles” and “T.O.” with “Steelers” and “Hines Ward,” respectively.

Ward’s a great player who deserves everything he gets, and the Steelers know that. He and the team are in a Mexican stand-off, though: he won’t come to camp until they’re negotiating and the team won’t negotiate until he’s in camp. One of them (I’m guessing Ward) is going to have to bend - the Rooneys have let hold-outs sit out all year before. Won’t bother me a bit if that happens - he kills the Ravens.

Well shit…

Sucks being a Bears fan, you know.

And it looks like 3-4 months…

I hope Orton gets his shit together and takes the starting job.

I feel for ya, man. I was looking for the Bears to make a move this year. Ain’t gonna happen now. Six wins, tops.