For fellow SR-71 fanboys...

I thought I’d share this article I saw today over on Foxtrot Alpha…

that-time-an-sr-71-made-an-emergency-landing-in-norway

I like this one …

Fascinating. I had no idea the plane needed an auxiliary engine to get its turbines up to a safe starting speed. I couldn’t tell from the story if that was needed every time or just in emergencies.

Damn, I love those planes, and I curse the asshole general who ordered the program scrapped and all the blueprints and other information destroyed.

Here are some great videos with SR-71 pilot Colonel Richard Graham:

SR-71 Cockpit Checkout
SR-71 Pilot Interview Richard Graham Veteran Tales
SR-71 J58 Engine Tour

He also did a couple AMA’s on reddit:

In Nebraska we keep our SR71 Blackbirds indoors

Note: My oldest daughter posing in front of the plane at The Strategic Air Command Museum at the beginning of a St. Patrick’s Day 10k

You gotta love the most advanced aircraft in the world (that stays in the atmosphere) that was designed before computers, pees like a race horse before it warms up, and has engines you can see thru.

We’ll overlook the whole *engine unstart *issue, however…

We have an A-12 (the precursor of the SR71) on display at the Space and Rocket Center here in Huntsville. I still marvel at the thought that something that looks like it should still be in development for a 2050 debut was built in 1962…all hail the Skunk Works!

Standard procedure, I believe. There’s one on display in the Museum of Flight in Seattle, along with an M-21 (an SR-71 variant).

SR-71 engines at Wikipedia: